First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
There's another thread about the Sumo progressive rate stops for the rear springs that seem to have a less aggressive affect than the Hellwig bar.

From a performance standpoint I just don't know how much lipstick you can apply to the leaf spring system on the Ranger. The long wheelbase and high center of gravity inherent in trucks make this type of suspension mod less simple. Especially since you may be tossing stuff in the bed or towing stuff on occasion.

The good thing is the four banger is less weight than a V6 or V8 up front.

In another thread I just wanted to get stiffer bushings for the stock bar to the chassis and there are what look to be beefier end links. I haven't found upgraded sway bar bushings.

On mid engined cars I had in the past too stiff a rear bar typically caused them to spin out in corners if pushed too hard... I left them off the rear and went with different springs. Stiffer fronts and staggered wheel sizes was what we did. Pretty thrilling to have three of four tires howling in a corner but I never spun that car.

Last edited:

4rd SVT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford SVT, Ford Performance, Winter-Beaters
Actually I found an industrial/commercial truck shop that works on suspensions' and including the process of flattening out leaf-springs...
I want to take an inch & half maybe two out the back and installing a hellwig REAR swaybar... to level out the truck via the rear.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
HI John,

This may work for you just fine.....I think you will notice a very large degradation in rough road ride as well as an increased push in handling and it may manifest itself in being more than the shocks can dampen. This in turn can increase front suspension loadings above design criteria... You many end up chasing the rabbit through both front and rear suspension. It depends on what you are looking to do with your truck.

Some balance can be achieved with a Helwig rear bar or Addco if they make or plan to make one.

Here is something folks rarely know. Bar stiffness is proportional the the 4th power of the diameter of the bar, so slight changes in diameter make huge differences.... Example. Double the diameter or twice...so we have 2x2x2x2=16 or sixteen times as stiff.... For my SCCA racetrucks before the blade adjustable bars we tuned in increments of 1/16th of an inch in diameter change... Blades are a different animal and worked fabously...but that is another story

19554898_1263809567062068_6919043112200374439_n.jpg

Steve Saleen in one of my RaceTrucks...

Good luck!

Best,
Phil
Yeah, I saw the Hellwig rear bar a while ago but I didn't think adding it by itself would be a good idea without also adding a larger front sway bar.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Not sure what the objective is here to make such a substantive change and create a huge change in understeer. Really screws up Roll stiffness balance. Not a change I would make without some increase in Springs or additional bar for the rear... Ford Vehicle Dynamics will always create a bit of push as customers are comfortable with push....But not that much as 76%...

Best,
Phil
These are the threads your input adds to everyone's benefit. Long wheelbase and weight distribution on the street opposed to a dedicated track car I expect is why Ford builds in safety margins.

There are owners here raising and lowering trucks, towing trailers and building all kinds of more serious off road vehicles.

I think there is a space for beefier front bars and I totally get that the rear suspension would have to be considered but... leaf spring suspension. Having flashbacks to those trying to hot rod Chevy Novas.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
I just want a rear sway bar for towing like some of the super duty trucks have. My off roading is beach and hunting grounds. I dont jimmie johnson my car on the street so u am good with street performance.
Bronco for off road playing
Mustang for jimmie johnsin speed(i know he was sponsored by the other guy)
And ranger for work, hunting, and date nights

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
Actually I found an industrial/commercial truck shop that works on suspensions' and including the process of flattening out leaf-springs...
I want to take an inch & half maybe two out the back and installing a hellwig REAR swaybar... to level out the truck via the rear.
That's what I did, 1.5" de-arcing the springs was only $135, I couldn't stand the stinkbug look, as well as ease of loading my bike.
You may have to reset the pinon angle and you will defiantly have to shorten the bump stop or get the Raptor stops.

I also did the Hellwig bar, set to the stiffest setting.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
If I was trying to put the Ranger on the Track then it would be worth it. From what i remember with my Ranger is when stock the truck didnt feel right when going through the turns. After doing the Old Man EMU lift it fixed a lot of the issues i was experiencing. Also if taking your truck OffRoad then this SwayBar would be a horrible idea.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
I have the Hellwig rear sway bar that I mounted pretty early in ownership. I don’t remember it having a over dramatic effect besides a much more planted feeling. I also have Eibach’s front coil overs a rear shocks.

Personally I would like it a bit stiffer and considered a dual shock setup for the rear, if anyone makes it, but that may make it too stiff for my kinda driving.

Maybe hard neoprene bushings on the stock front bar might not upset the dynamics?

Last edited:

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
I have the Hellwig rear sway bar that I mounted pretty early in ownership. I don’t remember it having a over dramatic effect besides a much more planted feeling. I also have Eibach’s front coil overs a rear shocks.

Personally I would like it a bit stiffer and considered a dual shock setup for the rear, if anyone makes it, but that may make it too stiff for my kinda driving.

Maybe hard neoprene bushings on the stock front bar might not upset the dynamics?
Maybe it's possible SuperPro could custom cut poly sway bar bushings for the factory bracket.

OP
OP
JCruz

JCruz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport Super Crew 2wd, 2017 GTI Sport
Occupation
Tile & Stone Contractor

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Not sure what the objective is here to make such a substantive change and create a huge change in understeer. Really screws up Roll stiffness balance. Not a change I would make without some increase in Springs or additional bar for the rear... Ford Vehicle Dynamics will always create a bit of push as customers are comfortable with push....But not that much as 76%...

Best,
Phil
Resurrecting this because I still want to find a poly swaybar-to-chassis replacement. Phil had measured his and it was something like 27mm (Edit: ADDCO says 27.5mm) but universal replacement bushings with their clamps were still smaller than stock and the bolt holes not even close.

I was on the SuperPro Australia site looking at 2WD Ranger 2018-2022 replacement bushings and they look like they'll fit in the factory clamp but they start at 30mm. I notice rear bars are also down under. I'm guessing the rear bar mandates a front one but I wanted something subtle in performance.
Screenshot_20230622-170156~2.png
Sponsored

Last edited: