Adaptive cruise control question

R G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
35 MG PB thru 2011 R8
According to the 2019 owner's manual, adaptive cruise can be turned off down in the menus. Two related questions: they don't say it outright, but I presume this means you will have normal cruise without the radar distance keeping feature. True? Also, does it stay turned off, or does it revert back to adaptive mode the next time you start the truck?

I would like to have some features of the technology package which includes adaptive cruise, but will not use a vehicle with adaptive cruise. This is make or break for me. Responses will be appreciated.

No need to tell me how wonderful you think the feature may be, and try to convince me. I don't care, I won't have it. Thanks.
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
According to the 2019 owner's manual, adaptive cruise can be turned off down in the menus. Two related questions: they don't say it outright, but I presume this means you will have normal cruise without the radar distance keeping feature. True? Also, does it stay turned off, or does it revert back to adaptive mode the next time you start the truck?

I would like to have some features of the technology package which includes adaptive cruise, but will not use a vehicle with adaptive cruise. This is make or break for me. Responses will be appreciated.

No need to tell me how wonderful you think the feature may be, and try to convince me. I don't care, I won't have it. Thanks.
I found this out recently when my ACC became disabled due to a dirty sensor. I thought it would automatically downgrade to "normal" CC, but it has to be done in the menus. I believe it retains the setting but I'm not positive.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
According to the 2019 owner's manual, adaptive cruise can be turned off down in the menus. Two related questions: they don't say it outright, but I presume this means you will have normal cruise without the radar distance keeping feature. True? Yes, that is true I believe. Also, does it stay turned off, or does it revert back to adaptive mode the next time you start the truck? It will stay off until you activate it.

No need to tell me how wonderful you think the feature may be, and try to convince me. I don't care, I won't have it. Thanks. I won't try to change your mind (seems pretty set) but I personally love the feature and will not purchase a vehicle without it.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Hi R G,

I also do not use or like adaptive cruise control. As a retired Ford person, my vehicles of late including a 2016 MKX had adaptive cruise as well as does my 2019 Ranger. I have disabled on all my vehicles and it is a simple menu pick from the steering wheel to disable and it will not re-enable unless so choose to do.

Should not be a deal breaker.

Best.
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
I use adaptive cruise all the time and really like it. The only downside of using adaptive cruise is when you get in your old (2004) Mazdaspeed Miata and set the cruise you have to then pay a lot more attention to who is in front of you.

umichigan

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, Magnetic
It has been my experience that you have to "adapt" to using Adaptive Cruise Control and that it can be difficult to do so. I tried to integrate it into my morning commute (prior to covid) and found that it was incompatible with Detroit freeway traffic where the driving style is predominantly aggressive. The functionality is focused on safe and smooth transitions, the usual Detroit driver is not. However, when the traffic is lighter in volume and you are able to move in a less aggressive manner I found ACC to be quite useful and relaxing. It does take some time to develop your awareness of the system and learn to work with it instead of second guessing its every move, something that invariably increases the stress factor in defensive driving. Perhaps like other technologies (ABS, for example) it will take a generous amount of time before the public can use it as intended. I'm sure plenty of us remember how weird ABS felt the first times we experienced it.

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
I use adaptive cruise all the time and really like it. The only downside of using adaptive cruise is when you get in your old (2004) Mazdaspeed Miata and set the cruise you have to then pay a lot more attention to who is in front of you.
I had one of those for a time. Fun car.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
It has been my experience that you have to "adapt" to using Adaptive Cruise Control and that it can be difficult to do so. I tried to integrate it into my morning commute (prior to covid) and found that it was incompatible with Detroit freeway traffic where the driving style is predominantly aggressive. The functionality is focused on safe and smooth transitions, the usual Detroit driver is not. However, when the traffic is lighter in volume and you are able to move in a less aggressive manner I found ACC to be quite useful and relaxing. It does take some time to develop your awareness of the system and learn to work with it instead of second guessing its every move, something that invariably increases the stress factor in defensive driving. Perhaps like other technologies (ABS, for example) it will take a generous amount of time before the public can use it as intended. I'm sure plenty of us remember how weird ABS felt the first times we experienced it.
I usually have it off. In traffic, it gamely tries to maintain one of four preset following distances. at freeway speeds, this equates to around 60-80 feet. this works fine until someone cuts in front of you to dive bomb an exit, causing the crash avoidance braking to activate full on.
When I do use it, it's usually on moderate traffic two lane where there's too much oncoming traffic to pass a slower vehicle going a constant speed. In that scene, it is less stressful.

Tito

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD Ranger, Not getting another, fuel in oil.
... Also, does it stay turned off, or does it revert back to adaptive mode the next time you start the truck?...
I have XLT. Yes you retain normal cruise control.

Yes, it will always stay off once you dive into the screen menu to disable it. But! at least with my package, if you accidentally push the arrow buttons on the steering wheel used for setting the distance for ACC, the system automatically switches back into ACC mode and will slow you down rapidly if you happen to be to near to the car in front of you. Then you have to scroll back into the menu to disable it or just not use "normal" cruise control until you have the opportunity to look down for a minute or so to turn it off.

Side note; my wife's Honda Accord has an on/off button right on the steering wheel so its it easy to switch ACC on/off. Also, once you switch cruise control on, it stays on even though the car is cycled on/off. I love that feature.

Jamesb

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 501A, Build Date 12/19
Occupation
Engineering
I know this is probably a dumb question and I presume the answer is yes ...but: When your vehicle activates the ACC to slow with traffic do your brake lights engage?

The other day I was using it on highway and came up behind a truck who had slowed fairly aggressively, my truck ACC followed suit and person behind me went nuts waving their arms about. Passed me red in the face and what I can only assume was expletives leaving his sad little angry face.

Perhaps I had the distance too great and my truck braked as aggressively as the truck in front and the guy behind felt I was over-braking. Fair. But just want to be sure he wasn't having a coronary because my brake lights didn't engage.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired

Just as an FYI: If you buy an XL.. you can avoid the Adaptive Cruise Control all together, and a lot of the other technology too..

We specifically bought an XL just for that reason, we didn't want ACC, Lane Assist or the rear sensors. And if you then add the FX4 package you still get the upgraded information display in the Instrument cluster and also includes regular old school cruise control.

Tito

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD Ranger, Not getting another, fuel in oil.
I know this is probably a dumb question and I presume the answer is yes ...but: When your vehicle activates the ACC to slow with traffic do your brake lights engage?...
Yes, the brake lights do come on if the computer slows you down. I agree with you that the guy behind you got mad because he felt you were over-braking for the distance you were maintaining using the system.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Good response. I believe any type of cruise control should not be used in rush hour type of traffic but is wonderful when the traffic is lighter and ACC can make your drive less stressful.

OP
OP

R G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
35 MG PB thru 2011 R8
Thanks to those of you who answered my basic questions. Helps a lot with not only purchase decision, but which model/packages to consider.

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have found with adaptive cruise on I need to pay attention to my vehicles speed more so than with basic cruise, in that it will gently decelerate when coming up on slower traffic. Then when you pull out to pass it will resume the preset speed. I'd just as soon stay at the constant preset speed on divided 4 lane highways.. It is handy on high speed two lane blacktops where it will adapt to the speed of the car in front of you.
Sponsored