First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 lariat 4x4 ranger
Occupation
Engineering
My 2021 Lariat has the access keypad on drivers door and it works to unlock/lock no problem. What I don’t understand is when would I use it?? If I leave my keys in the truck the truck beeps twice and unlocks the door. Was thinking go to beach, leave keys in truck and use keypad to get in but that clearly doesn’t work because it won’t let you.

what is the purpose on the lariat model with the door sensors and BT key? On regular key models it makes sense, but I don’t get it on mine
Help?? Thanks!
Sponsored

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
1- running out to the car to grab something... crap forgot my keys, oh wait key pad.

2- oh sh!t i lost my keys in the woods hey i can get in and wait for the wife to bring second set

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
You can lock these keys in the truck:

To lock it with the keys in it: Press and hold the 7/8 and 9/0 button on the key pad simultaneously. It will lock the doors with the key in it. To unlock it, you can use the second fob or you can enter the code on the keypad.

Unfortunately, this is not in the owner's manual, since it is an accessory.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Berkmda

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 lariat 4x4 ranger
Occupation
Engineering
You can lock these keys in the truck:

To lock it with the keys in it: Press and hold the 7/8 and 9/0 button on the key pad simultaneously. It will lock the doors with the key in it. To unlock it, you can use the second fob or you can enter the code on the keypad.

Unfortunately, this is not in the owner's manual, since it is an accessory.
Ok, I’ll try that and would make sense and a reason to have this!! Thanks!!!

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Don’t have it on my ranger but I do sometimes use it on my wife’s truck when I realized I want something out of there but the key isn’t on me. It happens often enough that it’s nice to have but not that often that if it were gone I would miss it.

I think the placement on the ranger is kind of an eye sore and it is integrated much better on other fords. If I am not mistaken that thing is just stuck on there and it works wirelessly. I was told it was that way for the new bronco. If so maybe you can remove it with a heat gun and hide on under your bumper or something for emergencies.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
Get a small container that your key fits in. Get tin foil. Wrap key in tin foil & put in container. Put container in glove box, under seat, in armrest, don't even need the damn container.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

Nathan289

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat fx4, 2019 mazda cx3, 1963 falco
Occupation
Leo
Don’t have it on my ranger but I do sometimes use it on my wife’s truck when I realized I want something out of there but the key isn’t on me. It happens often enough that it’s nice to have but not that often that if it were gone I would miss it.

I think the placement on the ranger is kind of an eye sore and it is integrated much better on other fords. If I am not mistaken that thing is just stuck on there and it works wirelessly. I was told it was that way for the new bronco. If so maybe you can remove it with a heat gun and hide on under your bumper or something for emergencies.
I plan on moving it to the fuel filler door

sootie007

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 LT 4 x 4
Occupation
Electronics
Vehicle Showcase
Im just curious how hard is it to buy one of those, program it and stick it to your truck yourself ? Is the programming a major pita ?

OP
OP

Berkmda

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 lariat 4x4 ranger
Occupation
Engineering

i know if u buy it after market or dealer installed it is wireless. Mine was factory installed, I am told it is wired. I don’t see anywhere a battery would be changed

Clump

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST former 2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
i know if u buy it after market or dealer installed it is wireless. Mine was factory installed, I am told it is wired. I don’t see anywhere a battery would be changed
Factory installed is the same battery powered, wireless, stick on as sold aftermarket. The battery is not replaceable, but somebody figured out how and posted on another forum.

People who need them have mounted them inside the fuel fill door to fix the eye sore.

Mine came with it factory installed from the batch that ate batteries in a couple of days. Completely dead. After some back and forth with the dealer they refunded the sticker price.

OP
OP

Berkmda

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 lariat 4x4 ranger
Occupation
Engineering
Factory installed is the same battery powered, wireless, stick on as sold aftermarket. The battery is not replaceable, but somebody figured out how and posted on another forum.

People who need them have mounted them inside the fuel fill door to fix the eye sore.

Mine came with it factory installed from the batch that ate batteries in a couple of days. Completely dead. After some back and forth with the dealer they refunded the sticker price.
Thanks! I’ll remove and move it :)

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I use mine all the time to get into the truck when I don't have my fob in my pocket.
It's most useful when I'm doing a sporting activity and don't want to carry my keys with me. Just leave them in the truck, lock & go.
It is ugly as piss though. I relocated mine to the black part of the rear door pillar, so it's not as noticeable.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Im just curious how hard is it to buy one of those, program it and stick it to your truck yourself ? Is the programming a major pita ?
Hi John,

I have tried several things to get it to program but no luck...so it sits on my workbench. Need to understand how to get the truck in program mode...so far, no luck.

Best,
Phil

Last edited:

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
Hi John,

I have tried several things to get it to program but no luck...so it sits on my workbench. Need to understand how the truck in program mode...so far, no luck.

Best,
Phil
I really miss having the keypad, so used to having it on my Mountaineer. I was hoping to read that those doing Forscan found they could program the keypad for a Ranger. No, no one?
Sponsored