Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
This a principle thing or what concerns do you have with a dealer programming it? Just curious
Hi TM,

Used to be DYI....so screw the dealer and their installation costs.....

best,
Phil
Sponsored

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
Has anyone tried this DIY program & install of the Ford keyless keypad (link below)? References Ford keypad L2Z-14A626-A but I read in the comments someone noted a current part number (August 2021) which may be true because I saw it listed on another site as replacing part numbers 4C3Z-14A626-AA, 7L2Z-14A626-BA, ES7Z-14A626-A .

Instructions: How to Install and Program a New Keypad

"Your Ford part number for the keyless entry kepad, labeled as “description,” above, is wrong/incomplete; it should read 7L2Z-14A626-BA. The current (and correct) part number for the keyless entry keypad is KB3Z-14A626-A (it replaces 4C3Z-14A626-AA, 7L2Z-14A626-BA, ES7Z-14A626-A) "

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Im just curious how hard is it to buy one of those, program it and stick it to your truck yourself ? Is the programming a major pita ?
Yes. I think a dealer has to do the initial pairing. After that, you can change the code if you want, but the original code stays in there as well.
  • 5 digit code, either original or customer programmed, unlock driver's door
  • Press the 3-4 key within five seconds to unlock the tailgate and other doors,
  • Press 7-8 & 9-0 simultaneously to relock all doors & tailgate.
Get one here or through the dealer.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
If you're ordering your Ranger it's better to order this from the factory as it gets programed for free. You can always take it off the door (fishing line or dental floss works good) and stick it in another area like inside the fuel door.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
If you're ordering your Ranger it's better to order this from the factory as it gets programed for free. You can always take it off the door (fishing line or dental floss works good) and stick it in another area like inside the fuel door.
For 2022, the Securicode black bezel will now be color matched. I don't know if they will become available as an accessory.

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What's this guy talking about? Type a 48 character code in where? I'm assuming some piece of equipment only the dealer service dept has? I know he's not talking about Forscan.

Ford Ranger Keyless Entry Pad Installation

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
What's this guy talking about? Type a 48 character code in where? I'm assuming some piece of equipment on the dealer service dept has? I know he's not talking about Forscan.

Ford Ranger Keyless Entry Pad Installation
He's full of it because many on here have tried to activate theirs on their own and it can't be done. You have to have the dealer (for a charge of course) do this. It's best to order one with your truck that way it's programed and just move it from the door to a better spot after delivery.

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
He's full of it because many on here have tried to activate theirs on their own and it can't be done. You have to have the dealer (for a charge of course) do this. It's best to order one with your truck that way it's programed and just move it from the door to a better spot after delivery.
I already have the truck but want to buy the keyless entry keypad and have the service dept program it when I take the truck for it's first oil change. I'm going to tell them not to install it though, I'll figure out where I want to put it. I have the keyless entry keypad on my Mountaineer and I really miss it on the Ranger. Thought I could live without it until the other day I almost got locked out of the Ranger when I parked in the driveway and threw the key in my purse, got out of the vehicle without grabbing my purse and locked the truck (spare key also in my purse :-( ). I don't normally take my phone out of my purse... but thankfully this day, I had it in my coat pocket and was able to use FordPass app to unlock the truck.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I already have the truck but want to buy the keyless entry keypad and have the service dept program it when I take the truck for it's first oil change. I'm going to tell them not to install it though, I'll figure out where I want to put it. I have the keyless entry keypad on my Mountaineer and I really miss it on the Ranger. Thought I could live without it until the other day I almost got locked out of the Ranger when I parked in the driveway and threw the key in my purse, got out of the vehicle without grabbing my purse and locked the truck (spare key also in my purse :-( ). I don't normally take my phone out of my purse... but thankfully this day, I had it in my coat pocket and was able to use FordPass app to unlock the truck.
Check with your dealer as some have reported them charging around $80-$100 to program it. There were a few who said they got there's for half that too so hopefully yours charges you less.

The gas door is a great place to install them as it's out of view and doesn't look like an afterthought stuck on the side somewhere.

Keypad:Fuel Door.jpg

jdneally1

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Will this damage the finish at all? My dealer wouldn't remove it because he was worried.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Will this damage the finish at all? My dealer wouldn't remove it because he was worried.
Not at all.Just make sure you're using something that has a coating on it like dental floss or fishing line. You can also use a little speed detailer to give it some extra lube. Just go slow and it'll cut right through the tape. You can also warm it up a little with a hairdryer but not to high of heat. If there's any residue just use a little rubbing alcohol and wax the area after.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
Check with your dealer as some have reported them charging around $80-$100 to program it. There were a few who said they got there's for half that too so hopefully yours charges you less.

The gas door is a great place to install them as it's out of view and doesn't look like an afterthought stuck on the side somewhere.

Keypad:Fuel Door.jpg
Thanks for that post, I was thinking rear glass, but that is even better.

OK, I was not wanting to get it with default location, But after reading that it works like a "code" activated key fob and seeing it mounted in other locations, my Ford Rewards from purchase will be getting me that.

Is this accessory one that I can self program with Forscan?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Thanks for that post, I was thinking rear glass, but that is even better.

OK, I was not wanting to get it with default location, But after reading that it works like a "code" activated key fob and seeing it mounted in other locations, my Ford Rewards from purchase will be getting me that.

Is this accessory one that I can self program with Forscan?
Unfortunately no. Many have tried but the only way to program it is through the dealer. That's why it's best to order from the factory and just remove it as it's already programmed so there's no additional cost. Maybe you can ask your salesman if they can get you a "deal" on the programming since you recently bought if from him/her?

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
Unfortunately no. Many have tried but the only way to program it is through the dealer. That's why it's best to order from the factory and just remove it as it's already programmed so there's no additional cost. Maybe you can ask your salesman if they can get you a "deal" on the programming since you recently bought if from him/her?
I would think that the "Include Installation (+$10.00)" option on the accessory would include programming since the install instructions include those steps.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I would think that the "Include Installation (+$10.00)" option on the accessory would include programming since the install instructions include those steps.
That $10.00 for installation means they're going to walk over to your truck and stick it on there, programming is extra. Phil @P. A. Schilke has one and can't use it because they're going to charge him $100 so it's sitting as a paperweight now. :sadface:
Sponsored