RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Didja look? Cuz I just did again. It's still there.
Are you saying you saw an airbag deploy from the drivers side A-Pillar in those videos? Because if you did, I must be blind - I did not. The only airbags I saw deploy on the drivers side was from the steering wheel and the curtain bags from above. Even the passenger side I saw nothing come out from the A-Pillar.

What am I missing?
Sponsored

tfisher15

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, Supercrew, 4x4; 69 Firebird Conv
Occupation
Retired
Didja look? Cuz I just did again. It's still there.
I got curious since I don’t see any airbag deploy from the “A” pillar in the videos.
All the places described in the owner’s manual where the bags are located in my XLT are labeled with “Airbag”. Labels are on the steering wheel pad, tag on seat side panel, and trim panel above the side windows. Nothing on the ”A” pillar.

Not trying to argue but interested where these things are located to avoid surprises.

Tim Stromberg

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Sport 4x4
Are you saying you saw an airbag deploy from the drivers side A-Pillar in those videos? Because if you did, I must be blind - I did not. The only airbags I saw deploy on the drivers side was from the steering wheel and the curtain bags from above. Even the passenger side I saw nothing come out from the A-Pillar.

What am I missing?
No, I went out to my ranger and pulled the column down and saw the furled up airbag extending into the column.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No, I went out to my ranger and pulled the column down and saw the furled up airbag extending into the column.
I played the two that deployed the side curtains back in slow motion and it appears as though it all pops out from above. In the first one you can see the plastic trim pop out when the curtain deploys. It looks like it does the same on both sides:

1612197459098.png

It is crazy how fast those airbags deploy! And they are smart enough to only deploy the side curtains if it is some impact on the side. The full frontal crash didn't deploy the side airbags, just the front.

It is pretty amazing technology......

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
All the places described in the owner’s manual where the bags are located in my XLT are labeled with “Airbag”. Labels are on the steering wheel pad, tag on seat side panel, and trim panel above the side windows. Nothing on the ”A” pillar.
You're XLT, right?
Could the A-pillar airbag indeed be Lariat-specific, since Tim has a Lariat? I know this my the second time raising this possibility, and that safety equipment should be standard...

But, I agree that there are no labels in XLT, and in the videos, the A-Pillar remains intact. I don't have any other explanation, if someone in a Lariat physically sees an A-pillar airbag in their vehicle.

Tim, as a thought, could you post a photo for what you see, for comparison?

tfisher15

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, Supercrew, 4x4; 69 Firebird Conv
Occupation
Retired
You're XLT, right?
Could the A-pillar airbag indeed be Lariat-specific, since Tim has a Lariat? I know this my the second time raising this possibility, and that safety equipment should be standard...

But, I agree that there are no labels in XLT, and in the videos, the A-Pillar remains intact. I don't have any other explanation, if someone in a Lariat physically sees an A-pillar airbag in their vehicle.

Tim, as a thought, could you post a photo for what you see, for comparison?
Yes, could be. Or the airbag is stuffed along the rail above the window and into the A pillar but is filled from the sounce above the window. Don’t really know.

Gerder

First Name
Gerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WorldRanger ˋ19 TKE, several VW Rabbit (Golf) MK2
Good point - this is a European model, right - a Wilktrack, I think? No upper dash tray either.

ROTW Ranger owners are fortunate because Ford makes a left and right-hand steer version for those markets and if they want a grab handle on both sides, they can order it.
Thing is, we have them anyways... personally I couldn‘t imagine that they designed the cab and the airbags and ... twice. I think there must be a way to make it fit. Maybe there are some spaces for some clips missing or so. Nothing not to deal with, I think... however, without trying it!

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thing is, we have them anyways... personally I couldn‘t imagine that they designed the cab and the airbags and ... twice. I think there must be a way to make it fit. Maybe there are some spaces for some clips missing or so. Nothing not to deal with, I think... however, without trying it!
It has been attempted and they are similar but definitely different. This posting has photos and all showing the differences:

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/drivers-side-a-pillar-grab-handle.1478/post-30601

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Yes, could be. Or the airbag is stuffed along the rail above the window and into the A pillar but is filled from the sounce above the window. Don’t really know.
I think you hit on it: packed partially in the A-Pillar, deploys from the header is my guess.
Sponsored