Smash and Grab

Pirategrad

First Name
Clem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
I probably have the dubious notoriety of being the first to have their Ranger broken into. We were at local restaurant (Pluckers Wing Bar @ The Linc in Austin) two weeks ago and a thief smashed the rear driver’s side window. They took several items mainly my Godson’s back pack that had his clothing, new UT baseball cap, and three baseballs that Texas players gave him. The alarm didn’t go off since only the window was broken and no doors were opened. Thought it was a pretty safe place but this area has had a rash of vehicle break-ins.

The biggest problem has been getting a replacement window. Since the vehicle is so new, glass is not carried by repair companies and needs to be ordered through a Ford dealer. They quoted 5-7 business days. The first window came in six days after the event but arrived damaged. The expedited the second window and they are now installing it. Almost two weeks after the event, I’m finally getting to drive my truck again. Hopefully no one else has to go through this but just a warning of the side effect of being a new Ford Ranger Owner.

5BD93196-13FD-493D-BFBF-32D278AECC07.jpeg

B02048D5-7800-4D7A-A74D-41DBABF09AF5.jpeg

1DC20668-0C8B-4B83-AC43-9F2F63A91E95.jpeg

47A4BEC2-066A-4C9A-A2F9-4ABE6414868B.jpeg

1963FBB4-2A1E-4682-8F55-2890259FCEB3.jpeg
Sponsored

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
sorry to hear that. happened to one of my old cars too. From that day. And even before I've always learned to keep things stored away from prying eyes. If they see nothing. chances are they will leave it alone and move on.

OP
OP
Pirategrad

Pirategrad

First Name
Clem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorry to hear that. happened to one of my old cars too. From that day. And even before I've always learned to keep things stored away from prying eyes. If they see nothing. chances are they will leave it alone and move on.
I think they took a chance when they saw us leave the vehicle. I had limo tint on all rear windows and the legal on the driver and passenger. You really couldn’t see into the rear floorboard where I had put his items.

Sarge104

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
19 FR, 13 VB, 95 GS MH, 00 HE
Occupation
County Cemetery District, SAR volunteer
I'm sorry to hear this happened, and it is unfortunate the alarm was not triggered. Especially when the stolen items do not have intrinsic value but sentimental value it can hit hard. Personally I try to park in well lit and high travel areas but even this sometimes isn't enough.

Hopefully a related question, has anyone taken apart the door panel and looked at the window regulator on the Ranger yet? I hope its not as cheesy a set up as the wife's G6(top roller disintegrates after one year) or my Elantra(small dowel holding entire window to regulator). I know most of the issues for the near future will get taken care of by the dealer for good or bad.

OP
OP
Pirategrad

Pirategrad

First Name
Clem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm sorry to hear this happened, and it is unfortunate the alarm was not triggered. Especially when the stolen items do not have intrinsic value but sentimental value it can hit hard. Personally I try to park in well lit and high travel areas but even this sometimes isn't enough.

Hopefully a related question, has anyone taken apart the door panel and looked at the window regulator on the Ranger yet? I hope its not as cheesy a set up as the wife's G6(top roller disintegrates after one year) or my Elantra(small dowel holding entire window to regulator). I know most of the issues for the near future will get taken care of by the dealer for good or bad.

My Godson was upset about losing his stuff. What was more upsetting was the next day he was very concerned about some in breaking in the car and taking his stuff. It’s sad to see how this type of event takes the fun of being a kid.

I didn’t get to see them install the new window. Safelite took the vehicle into their shop to do the repair. Took about 40 minutes. Back on the road 14 days after the incident. Could have been worse, they said they sometimes take months to get windshields for extremely popular vehicles because spare parts are going to producing more vehicles.

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
My Godson was upset about losing his stuff. What was more upsetting was the next day he was very concerned about some in breaking in the car and taking his stuff. It’s sad to see how this type of event takes the fun of being a kid.

I didn’t get to see them install the new window. Safelite took the vehicle into their shop to do the repair. Took about 40 minutes. Back on the road 14 days after the incident. Could have been worse, they said they sometimes take months to get windshields for extremely popular vehicles because spare parts are going to producing more vehicles.
Learning the world we live in is not always pretty, let’s us appreciate the random beautiful moments which vastly out number the kind of ugly act you had to endure. I’m sure your godson will remember all the fun times you share with him riding in your Ranger and not the greedy selfishness of the meth head who smashed the window.

Last edited:

Bubbabiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
Yeah, Austin is getting bad. My buddy had his Super Duty broken into at work last week. They punched the lock out to gain access but didn't get anything since he doesn't keep anything worth mentioning in the cab. Still sucks though....

Joe15

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger 19
Occupation
Operator
It was a bad day, i was searching forum
I probably have the dubious notoriety of being the first to have their Ranger broken into. We were at local restaurant (Pluckers Wing Bar @ The Linc in Austin) two weeks ago and a thief smashed the rear driver’s side window. They took several items mainly my Godson’s back pack that had his clothing, new UT baseball cap, and three baseballs that Texas players gave him. The alarm didn’t go off since only the window was broken and no doors were opened. Thought it was a pretty safe place but this area has had a rash of vehicle break-ins.

The biggest problem has been getting a replacement window. Since the vehicle is so new, glass is not carried by repair companies and needs to be ordered through a Ford dealer. They quoted 5-7 business days. The first window came in six days after the event but arrived damaged. The expedited the second window and they are now installing it. Almost two weeks after the event, I’m finally getting to drive my truck again. Hopefully no one else has to go through this but just a warning of the side effect of being a new Ford Ranger Owner.

5BD93196-13FD-493D-BFBF-32D278AECC07.jpeg

B02048D5-7800-4D7A-A74D-41DBABF09AF5.jpeg

1DC20668-0C8B-4B83-AC43-9F2F63A91E95.jpeg

47A4BEC2-066A-4C9A-A2F9-4ABE6414868B.jpeg

1963FBB4-2A1E-4682-8F55-2890259FCEB3.jpeg
Some tried on my truck as well, how was the windows now? Everything works? I hope my dealer doesnt mess up with the window and having more issue in the end.

39ED4941-92CC-43FB-8E87-701FAF2773B2.jpeg

OP
OP
Pirategrad

Pirategrad

First Name
Clem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Joe15 - so sorry to hear. It took a couple of weeks back then to get the window replaced due to a couple of issues the lack of parts and shipping damage. The work was done by Safelite and it’s been good with no issues one year plus. You should be good.
Sponsored