A missed reservation and long charging times.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
It is exactly the opposite. Most Business models are to push the more expensive models in order to fund the purchase of the less expensive models, i.e. the Tesla model. There are a few that go against the grain, but they are for sure daily commute type vehicles (Nissan Leaf)
I was referring to the push from our overlords on the political side as we go through the incredible transition, not a business or profit-based perspective.
Sponsored

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
I was talking to someone recently and he said he read where there's a company already developing a rapid charging lane. You would basically pull off the highway to a rapid charging lane and it would charge your vehicle while you're driving
meh just give the flying cars we were promised long ago

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
Most, but not all. There have definitely been safety issue recalls on modern ICE vehicles.

Once again, I'm no hard EV supporter, I'm just trying to play devil's advocate and make everyone actually think about what they're saying. EVs have issues, they're not the miracle cure the hard EV supporters say they are, but they're also not going to ruin the world and make society collapse like the ICE hardliners imply.
That’s fair. I’m not against them in the long run, but I just think we aren’t there just yet from the safety, reliability or cost end.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
EV's are perfect for medium distance commuting or every day driving around town, say less than 200 miles a day. Combine that with home solar charging and it's great. We still need either ICE or Hydrogen powered cars for road trips. I am going to get an EV for this reason, but will keep my wife's 55mpg Prius for longer trips, right now the truck is sitting a lot due to gas prices. I may need to increase my current 6KW solar array a bit to offset the car in addition to powering the house. Between the solar and powerwall my current yearly electric bill is $0, with about 500KWh sold back.
How big is that array? Is it on your roof?

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
diesel electrics have been on the rail longer than i have been alive and i would bet finding a more environment friendly setup than a bio diesel electric would be very difficult esp. considering the endurance and power. more ev means more mines and destroying the planet to get the needed materials in larger amounts. ev is great for short range light use like golf carts lol or local light rail.
The original GM Volt used this technology. The gasoline engine was used solely to charge the battery, it had no physical connection to the drivetrain. The principle was that an ICE design to run at a single or limited rpm for charging could be engineered to run with greater efficiency than an ICE designed for a wide rpm band.

I can't remember which railroad published this, but the claim was they transported each ton of cargo 20 miles using only a gallon of diesel.

HDEO

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Tremor, M240i
Occupation
Formulator
I can offer my personal experience owning an EV.

I find driving the thing to be absolutely a hoot because it has torque right away from zero. It really moves! Cornering isn’t bad but for sure the dynamics of all that battery weight hurts cornering but it’s not awful. Weight is low in the chassis so it’s not leaning like a refrigerator on a skateboard but it definitely understeers.

With local gas prices above $7 a gallon for premium and the reduced bridge toll and HOV lane benefits, an EV makes a lot of sense if you live in a crowded urban area.

From a convenience perspective I find charging at home to be super easy and I don’t have to worry about fitting a gas station visit into my weekend errands. Around here there are lines on weekends at the cheaper gas stations so a fill up can take 15-20 minutes. It takes me less than a minute to plug the thing in then it’s full next time I want to drive it.

I also have solar panels on the roof so my fuel cost is pretty minimal and I’m not worried about the grid because many of my neighbors have solar as well. Also have battery backup so when power is out during storms or public safety shut downs we still have power. We don’t have rolling blackouts in Northern California.

For sure it’s not free to get solar and an EV but there are tax credits that offset about half the EV incremental cost. My solar panels payment is roughly the same as my monthly electric cost used to be and it’s not going to go up. So the economics of this aren’t bad. I’m cheap so it had to make financial sense before I would do this.

Range of the EV is potentially an issue. I’m not gonna drive this car across country. But that’s not my use case for this car. For long trips we take the Ranger. But for 80% of our local driving we take the EV.

I understand these cars aren’t for everyone but for some of us they do make a lot of sense. As a second or third car they can work really well. They are fun, relatively economic especially with high gas prices and help mitigate my impact on climate change.

That all said, I think (my opinion) the future is PHEV for most and EV for some. There will be lower carbon fuels and CO2 sequestration. And gasoline powered vehicles will be around for decades. It’s an interesting future for sure.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
Currently it is 6KW on the house only, still have room on the garage for another 3KW if I need it. But as I am now at -0 usage for the year I would need more demand to get a permit for more as I am grid tied. A EV would supply that demand.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
meh just give the flying cars we were promised long ago
I love the futuristic flying saucer with no seatbelts and a stalk radio antenna! Dad's been mowing the lawn with what looks like a Roomba (Lawnba?).
e8531bebc6a4b47c52f01bf4ce3c747f--flying-car-retro-futurism.jpg

Last edited:

Marpater

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Consulting
After the wave of the EV is in full swing the next wave will be use leases, where you don't own a vehicle at all, you buy a subscription to use autonomous vehicles. This idea will be driven by the insurance companies, you will have the ability to drive your own, but they will make sure you pay heavily for it. The EV is just the tip of the iceberg!

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
I'm hoping that solar panel efficiency starts catching up so that the car can have a panel grid that will at least charge it SOME.

But, as I do work in the pipeline inspection industry we have been seeing more and more push toward pipelines converting over to Hydrogen. This is what we need to be pursuing for an ICE replacement. The BASIC engine layout can be used and sure its inefficient BUT it gets us to the possible point where we can start using FCEV...which is much better...

The infrastructure can be modified to this end...but alot of industries seem to be...obtuse to this...not just car manufacturers but electrical generators as well...as they see future profits go the way of hydrogen...

bottom line...special interests seem to be more important than the peoples interest.

Sariandan

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang EcoBoost
Occupation
Paramedic/Shift Supervisor
The key to the EV, not that it will happen, is Propone Tanks!
OK the battery in the vehicle is swapped out with a fully charged battery and away you go. Just like Propane you do not "own" a single battery you exchange the depleted battery for another Charged Battery. Yes the vehicle would need designed for battery access out the bottom or side and it would seem a simple automated process to get this exchange done. When you buy a new EV your new battery goes into the battery pool.
Pull into the lane swipe your CC and the robot goes to work with the swap. IN-OUT NASCAR style. Who ever Patents this and makes Trillions you owe me a Beer..or Two and a steak grilled with propane!! LOL.
The problem then is quality control of the batteries.

I'll use an example from work. At work, we all have a portable radio assigned to us. I have a charger and two batteries. Because of the way I maintain my batteries, cycle them, and don't charge them until they are nearly completely discharged, I can go my entire 24-hour shift on the two batteries, changing about halfway through. The portable radio is on for the entire 24-hour period. Other coworkers would be paranoid about having a dead battery when it's needed. So, they would shut the radio off and put it in a charge bay every time they're in the station. It didn't matter if the battery had been discharged 1%, 5%, 20%, etc.... Now, those batteries are shot.

I'd hate to pull into a service station and get the battery that people have been trading in at 80% capacity and the range of the battery has gone down considerably because of rarely being completely or near completely discharged. In effect, you could be paying for 300 miles of range and getting 200, or less.

Before anyone brings up improved battery cycling tech and newer batteries not having a memory... from personal experience in dealing with Motorola radios and batteries, working in public safety... that's a load of crap.

Jbrubakerjr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
I was referring to the push from our overlords on the political side as we go through the incredible transition, not a business or profit-based perspective.
Well, Yes, I agree with that perspective. ;). Thanks for clarifying.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
I love the futuristic flying saucer with no seatbelts and a stalk radio antenna! Dad's been mowing the lawn with what looks like a Roomba (Lawnba?).
e8531bebc6a4b47c52f01bf4ce3c747f--flying-car-retro-futurism.jpg
that's what I want! what's with the steering wheel? that ain't futuristic

Blade runner took place 3 years ago.... still waiting

Just wait until Uncle Joe's economy really gets going and we are all forced back to riding horses. they don't burn fossil fuels or require charging stations.

Jbrubakerjr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
that's what I want! what's with the steering wheel? that ain't futuristic

Blade runner took place 3 years ago.... still waiting

Just wait until Uncle Joe's economy really gets going and we are all forced back to riding horses. they don't burn fossil fuels or require charging stations.
Yes, but if there are too many of them (horses) we may have a new methane problem. :oops: :crackup:

Especially if we are trying to gain HP!

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Sure someday we will have a grid system and charging stations all across the country that work well. But this is the reality on what will happen now when we try and use a EV like we do an ICE vehicle today. I've said it many times I'm not against EV's (love the power/torque) it's just that we're not ready for the whole country to jump on board with them all at once like they're forcing us to now.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/missed-reservation-long-charging-times-152522267.html
Yep, forced migration won't work yet. I will point out the same lack of system was in place for ICE vehicles (including lack of comprehensive road network) when they first started out; they were confined at first to major cities, then it spread from there. The big difference is nobody legislated the change from horses to automobiles.
Sponsored