A missed reservation and long charging times.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Sure someday we will have a grid system and charging stations all across the country that work well. But this is the reality on what will happen now when we try and use a EV like we do an ICE vehicle today. I've said it many times I'm not against EV's (love the power/torque) it's just that we're not ready for the whole country to jump on board with them all at once like they're forcing us to now.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/missed-reservation-long-charging-times-152522267.html

Electric cars may not be the best option for road trips quite yet — unless you want to risk spending hours stuck at charging stations.

Rachel Wolfe, a reporter from The Wall Street Journal, took a Kia EV6 on a four-day road trip and said the car spent more time charging than she did sleeping. During the 2,000-mile round trip between New Orleans and Chicago, Wolfe said she struggled to find fast chargers and spent much of the trip waiting for the car to recharge.

She said that while there appeared to be a multitude of chargers along the route, she quickly discovered that not all chargers are created equally. She detailed instances when she waited for as long as 3 hours for a 30-mile charge and moments when her car's battery ticked down at an alarming rate.

On her way home, Wolfe said her car wasn't able to make it more than 200 miles on a single charge amid a tornado warning, despite an advertised range of up to 310 miles.
Sponsored

Deleted member 1634

Maybe we need to change the way we do and think about travel then. Sure, the whole system needs to get better, for more reasons than just the addition of EVs, and it will, but I also think we humans need to calm down a little bit and slow down. People need to start realizing there are more important things than racing around to appointments and living by the clock.
I don't know, just my two cents on how stupid and unhealthy (physically, emotionally, and mentally) our fast paced world currently is. I, for one, look forward to something to force me to relax a bit and take some extra time. I've tried it, but the world keeps sucking me back in. If I had an "excuse", then that'd be great.

To be fair, I don't think the government should be forcing EVs down our throats. Let people decide on their own. Sure, maybe some oversight on charging station infrastructure and commonality, same as they do for fuel stations, but otherwise, just let it be another powertrain option out there.

Everybody, government and citizens, needs to just calm down a little bit.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Maybe we need to change the way we do and think about travel then. Sure, the whole system needs to get better, for more reasons than just the addition of EVs, and it will, but I also think we humans need to calm down a little bit and slow down. People need to start realizing there are more important things than racing around to appointments and living by the clock.
I don't know, just my two cents on how stupid and unhealthy (physically, emotionally, and mentally) our fast paced world currently is. I, for one, look forward to something to force me to relax a bit and take some extra time. I've tried it, but the world keeps sucking me back in. If I had an "excuse", then that'd be great.

To be fair, I don't think the government should be forcing EVs down our throats. Let people decide on their own. Sure, maybe some oversight on charging station infrastructure and commonality, same as they do for fuel stations, but otherwise, just let it be another powertrain option out there.

Everybody, government and citizens, needs to just calm down a little bit.
I do agree the we need to slow down and not just driving but in life in general. Being on this long road trip has made me realize EV's are not going to be practical for a while for those who travel or tow/haul heavy stuff.

We're in no means "rushing" through our trip but there's been several travel days where I'm putting on 400-500 miles and having to stop for 3+ hours to recharge would certainly be a huge problem for us. For one it would add more time (days) to the trip and added expenses like food and lodging. I know in time there will be charging stations everywhere and soon enough rapid charging will be available.

I was talking to someone recently and he said he read where there's a company already developing a rapid charging lane. You would basically pull off the highway to a rapid charging lane and it would charge your vehicle while you're driving. If true this would be great and save many people precious time while traveling and/or worrying about running our of power. Fact is we're going to see a whole bunch of changes in the coming years whether we want them or not, they're coming.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
Can’t wait for July and August heat when NV is asked again to raise the house temp to help CA prevent black outs. I always read on arfcom how NV and AZ people say they make the house colder instead.

Article last month was on most troubled state as far as electric supply and grid. Surprise it was Michigan and not CA.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I think the real wake up call is coming when the ones that are on the road now hit the end of useful life cycle. The value and getting rid of it will open many peoples eyes. You’re probably going to have to pay a disposal fee to boot. Not to mention the environmental carnage getting the materials to build them in mass amounts.

The other thing forcing people to own these things is in order for that to happen mass transit has to be prevalent throughout the country. Even in rural areas.

So push as they may ICE will be around for much longer than what the powers that be would like!

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Our love affair with car travel was romantized and nurtured by the auto industry. Road trips can be great adventures - Dave and Annie can attest to that. I certainly won’t be making the full switch until I find something with equal or better range or until gas stations are as tough to find as charging stations are now.

Let’s hope they get all the issues figured out quickly because I for one, could use a good road trip!

Jbrubakerjr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
I do agree the we need to slow down and not just driving but in life in general. Being on this long road trip has made me realize EV's are not going to be practical for a while for those who travel or tow/haul heavy stuff.

We're in no means "rushing" through our trip but there's been several travel days where I'm putting on 400-500 miles and having to stop for 3+ hours to recharge would certainly be a huge problem for us. For one it would add more time (days) to the trip and added expenses like food and lodging. I know in time there will be charging stations everywhere and soon enough rapid charging will be available.

I was talking to someone recently and he said he read where there's a company already developing a rapid charging lane. You would basically pull off the highway to a rapid charging lane and it would charge your vehicle while you're driving. If true this would be great and save many people precious time while traveling and/or worrying about running our of power. Fact is we're going to see a whole bunch of changes in the coming years whether we want them or not, they're coming.
I saw the rapid charging lane development as well, I thinkk it may have been a German company and they are testing it in currently in warehouses and electric forklifts. I think there are a lot of questions that will need to be addressed for this as well, although I think that they technology will develop, including the ability to retrofit existing vehicles that will take advantage of this technology. Things that come to mind are what will the cost/mile for recharge look like for use of the lane compared to ICE refuel cost? Will the DMV now be in the 'fuel' delivery business as well? Etc., Etc.

Personally, I have a Wrangler 4xe, and it fits my needs for the majority of my driving. Out of the 1020 miles on it, about 1/3rd are electric only, and the gas miles include a trip from Greenville NC to Atlanta, GA. And with 'Time of Use Rates' from my electric company, I am paying about $0.01/KwH to recharge. I think the PHEV is the better near term solution, as it could address the fossil fuel consumption (and cost) for short trips and commutes and reduce the stress and delay of Interstate travel and recharge.

My initial plan was to trade the 4xe on my Ranger, when it is built, but now I am waffling a bit. As I have said before, I have a Lightning reservation as well, but I would go to a Ranger PHEV in a heartbeat if Ford would produce it. I know that Jeep is hinting the Gladiator will be a PHEV for MY 2024, and if Ford does not have an answer by then they may make a long-term Jeep owner out of me.

All that being said, I would never abandon/be without some type of vehicle that does not have an ICE.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Our love affair with car travel was romantized and nurtured by the auto industry. Road trips can be great adventures - Dave and Annie can attest to that. I certainly won’t be making the full switch until I find something with equal or better range or until gas stations are as tough to find as charging stations are now.

Let’s hope they get all the issues figured out quickly because I for one, could use a good road trip!
You sure do! Back to AZ for Mexican food, beer and warm(er) winter weather. :sun::tumbleweed:??

Peragrin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
Sure someday we will have a grid system and charging stations all across the country that work well. But this is the reality on what will happen now when we try and use a EV like we do an ICE vehicle today. I've said it many times I'm not against EV's (love the power/torque) it's just that we're not ready for the whole country to jump on board with them all at once like they're forcing us to now.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/missed-reservation-long-charging-times-152522267.html
while I believe it, people have also forgotten the early days of gas stations. different size nozzles, gas of quality standards that would be horrible today, fuel tanks of questionable integrity etc.

Not to mention no weighs and means standards so a gallon might not be a full gallon.

Ev charging are due for some hard regulations to clean up the capitalism end of things.

if you want real fun look up the history of rail road widths. the distance between tracks was at one point not a standard but up to each company who built the tracks.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
You sure do! Back to AZ for Mexican food, beer and warm(er) winter weather. :sun::tumbleweed:??
I think I rember the way - head west from Toronto and take a left at Lansing, keep heading southwest until you get to Flagstaff, then take a left. ??

How people get lost is beyond me. ??‍♂

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
while I believe it, people have also forgotten the early days of gas stations. different size nozzles, gas of quality standards that would be horrible today, fuel tanks of questionable integrity etc.

Not to mention no weighs and means standards so a gallon might not be a full gallon.

Ev charging are due for some hard regulations to clean up the capitalism end of things.

if you want real fun look up the history of rail road widths. the distance between tracks was at one point not a standard but up to each company who built the tracks.
Another thing to keep in mind that after a major grid overhaul someone (us!) will be paying for it. How much will all this cost us with all the upgrades and now all the electricity being used? Rates are already increasing now with the push to move away from fossil fuel so while this all sounds great on paper how will the average family afford A) the cost of a new EV and B) the electricity to drive them? There's going to be a heavy govt tax on these as they'll have to make up for the loss of the fuel taxes. Add that into the electricity cost and I think you're going to find most people/families won't be able to afford to drive anymore. ? Maybe this is their whole plan after all ?

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I think I rember the way - head west from Toronto and take a left at Lansing, keep heading southwest until you get to Flagstaff, then take a left. ??

How people get lost is beyond me. ??‍♂
There's another easy way.....Follow your nose. ?

Sizzling Fajitas.jpg

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering

Actually the standard for railroad track and car width came from the spacing of Roman chariot wheels. From that point on because of ruts cut while making roads out of footpaths brought us to where were are today. Only ones on the planet that do not use this spacing now are the Russians,

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray

You aren’t supposed to question the overlords. Embrace the incredible transition.
Sponsored