First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
I’m planning to buy the rears and DIY next month. Trying to talk myself out of the fronts since it’s more complicated. By complicated I mean beyond my abilities and expensive!
If you've never taken apart spring/shock assemblies, I don't recommend doing them yourself for a first go. That said, a shop can do it very easily.

I just installed the rears over the weekend, haven't gotten around to doing the fronts yet. While definitely an improvement, the fronts are just so wallowy that I will be installing the fronts sooner than later.
Sponsored

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
If you've never taken apart spring/shock assemblies, I don't recommend doing them yourself for a first go. That said, a shop can do it very easily.

I just installed the rears over the weekend, haven't gotten around to doing the fronts yet. While definitely an improvement, the fronts are just so wallowy that I will be installing the fronts sooner than later.
I got a quote for the fronts from a local place with great reviews but it was almost double what I expected. I’ve seen others around here saying they spent $500-600 on labor + alignment for front struts only).

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
Dang yeah not cheap. Wonder if shops will take apart and build just spring/shocks if you pulled/installed them yourself.

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
There is some decent work involved with Changing the fronts.

Reactions: EJH

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
so while my truck is getting repaired at the body shop i figured i may as well have them do the front 5100 install since its gonna need an alignment any way. anybody know of hand what spot on the adjustable rings equal how much height?

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport
so while my truck is getting repaired at the body shop i figured i may as well have them do the front 5100 install since its gonna need an alignment any way. anybody know of hand what spot on the adjustable rings equal how much height?
Yup just finished my install this past weekend with the bilstien 5100 on all 4 corners with the RC 3.5 lift. Had to do it twice because at the stock ride hight setting I only gained 1/4 inch over my stock struts with the ready lift sst 3in kit.

Spoke with RC tech support and they told me I had to use the 2nd notch from the bottom and not the stock height. They stated that the bilstiens were slightly different than stock. They were correct.

However, here are photos of the settings. I tossed my installation sheets so I had to screen capture a few photos from a YouTube 2019 Ranger bilstein install.

Good luck getting this info off of the bilstein website. You won't find it.

Screenshot_20220609-181445_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20220609-181355_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20220609-182351_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Yup just finished my install this past weekend with the bilstien 5100 on all 4 corners with the RC 3.5 lift. Had to do it twice because at the stock ride hight setting I only gained 1/4 inch over my stock struts with the ready lift sst 3in kit.

Spoke with RC tech support and they told me I had to use the 2nd notch from the bottom and not the stock height. They stated that the bilstiens were slightly different than stock. They were correct.

However, here are photos of the settings. I tossed my installation sheets so I had to screen capture a few photos from a YouTube 2019 Ranger bilstein install.

Good luck getting this info off of the bilstein website. You won't find it.

Screenshot_20220609-181445_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20220609-181355_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20220609-182351_YouTube.jpg
thank you that is exactly what i was looking for!

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
so its been almost a year since my 5100s for the front showed up. they are still in the boxes and not on the truck...?
every time i get a quote from a shop its just out of my budget. im starting to consider doing it myself. talk me out of it lol. i dont have a spring comp etc. it would be a hand tools and driveway / garage. i feel confident about all of it except the assembly and compression of the coils part.

Superspirit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ranger
so its been almost a year since my 5100s for the front showed up. they are still in the boxes and not on the truck...?
every time i get a quote from a shop its just out of my budget. im starting to consider doing it myself. talk me out of it lol. i dont have a spring comp etc. it would be a hand tools and driveway / garage. i feel confident about all of it except the assembly and compression of the coils part.
Just pull the strut assembly and take them to a local shop to have them swapped. That would be the cheapest and easiest way.

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I would strongly recommend you don't do these yourself. These are pretty scary assembling with a actual floor or wall mounted press on the stock springs, little alone in with a auto parts rental hand press.

My assembly guys that do this every day, all day long, we're not happy about doing these when we did mine, at the time.

5100's are a great upgrade, but not worth hurting yourself.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
I would strongly recommend you don't do these yourself. These are pretty scary assembling with a actual floor or wall mounted press on the stock springs, little alone in with a auto parts rental hand press.

My assembly guys that do this every day, all day long, we're not happy about doing these when we did mine, at the time.

5100's are a great upgrade, but not worth hurting yourself.
agreed it is not worth injury.

OP
OP
Dereku

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
And here I was going to tell you its simple I do them in the driveway....

Superspirit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ranger
And here I was going to tell you its simple I do them in the driveway....
Well for some it is, for others it's not. I'm a retired master auto tech and I did mine in the driveway with a little compressor set that I've had for years. But I have 30 plus years experience. For those that don't have any experience or aren't mechanically skilled it's not a great idea to attempt this.
Sponsored