First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Grey Splash 4x4
Occupation
Rivian Technician
I will agree that the shock valving will matter but you also need to understand that each manufacturer will do the shock valving different depending on what that manufacturer has for set goals. That is why I try to match brands. Also the Fox 2.0 fronts are a lower price right nor compared to RadFlow.

As for the Sway-a-way it looks like the shocks are under AFE. In my opinion(for what it might be worth) I would be hesitant to buy them. Why you ask? Well over the years I just havent been impressed with AFE's quality. I have seen low quality parts from them on many Diesel trucks. Also I'm not a fan of the diff covers either(thank Banks for teaching me on that).

If it wasnt under AFE then it would be worth a shot. My suggestion is to go around on the interwebs and find some reviews. We already know that AFE will say they are better than anyone else(and so will every other manufacturer)
I really appreciate the input.
I agree about AFE. That's why I'm so hesitant about them. Plus in the past the shock bodies had issues with corrosion and the red annodizong fading to pink. I don't want to deal with warranty claims and replacement part shortages, etc. I think Radflo is the way to go. They won't stand out like a sore thumb either the way that bright red or the blue of King does.
Sponsored

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
So, I will be doing a decent amount of off-road in my new Ranger. I have a rock crawler for all the real hard stuff, so Im not looking for maximum performance out of the Ranger. Knowing what I know about suspension and knowing the terrain here in Phoenix, AZ, I know that standard 2.0 IFP shocks are not going to cut it. Even for mild use. Ive been in conversation with Accutune out of San Diego and we found a generic Fox Performance Series 2.0 remote reservoir shock that matches stock length rear shocks and actually has a longer stroke, i.e. more up travel and more down travel. As soon as I get them installed and reservoirs mounted away from anything that might contact them, Accutune will be adding the option to their 19+ Ranger shock options.
As far as the front goes, Im not trying to drop $2k and have the biggest, baddest coilovers. Fox only offers 2.0 non-resi and 2.5 with resi. As previously stated, 2.0 isnt going to cut it and 2.5 with resi is $$$. Radflo and AFE/Sway-A-Way both offer a 2.5 IFP coilover. Sway-A-Way has had a questionable reputation in the past and almost no reviews since bought by AFE. Radflo has great reviews from everyone I know personally. Does anyone here have personal experience with either of these 2.5 non-resi shocks? Running a 2.5 even though it doesnt have a resi should add a decent amount of fluid along with the better damping from the larger piston, so Im excited to get this set up on and tested.
This is my 22 4x4 with the Splash package. Since this picture was taken, I have also added the FORD grille but swapped my gloss black perimeter trim onto it.
Ranger1.jpg
This is a great thread. Living in SoCal, I've experienced shock fade in the past from driving miles of desert and washboard road at reasonable speeds. I don't think people understand how hot a 2.0 shock without a reservoir can get when traveling over such terrain.

When I first got my truck, I took it down a washboard/sand road 5 or 6 miles to get to a small trail that required crawling up a hill with some rocks. I was surprised at how much the truck bounced while going slow over the rocks. I got out to check the front shocks and they were almost too hot to touch. I don't believe a 2.0 would have had the same problem over that distance. However, it's not uncommon to travel 25-30 miles or more over a day when traveling through the desert.

I would like to install a set of Fox 2.5 DSCs tuned by Acutune on all 4 corners, but the $$ amount is crazy. Add some UCAs and you are looking at over $4K. I don't drive as much in the desert as I used to, but when I do, it's usually for many miles at a time. I really wish manufacturers would provide reservoirs as an option for 2.0 shocks. I've been interested in RadFlo as well. However, they are a much smaller company, and finding good input from someone with experience on our trucks is like finding a four-leaf clover :)

OP
OP
Rad Ranger

Rad Ranger

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Rivian Technician
This is a great thread. Living in SoCal, I've experienced shock fade in the past from driving miles of desert and washboard road at reasonable speeds. I don't think people understand how hot a 2.0 shock without a reservoir can get when traveling over such terrain.

When I first got my truck, I took it down a washboard/sand road 5 or 6 miles to get to a small trail that required crawling up a hill with some rocks. I was surprised at how much the truck bounced while going slow over the rocks. I got out to check the front shocks and they were almost too hot to touch. I don't believe a 2.0 would have had the same problem over that distance. However, it's not uncommon to travel 25-30 miles or more over a day when traveling through the desert.

I would like to install a set of Fox 2.5 DSCs tuned by Acutune on all 4 corners, but the $$ amount is crazy. Add some UCAs and you are looking at over $4K. I don't drive as much in the desert as I used to, but when I do, it's usually for many miles at a time. I really wish manufacturers would provide reservoirs as an option for 2.0 shocks. I've been interested in RadFlo as well. However, they are a much smaller company, and finding good input from someone with experience on our trucks is like finding a four-leaf clover :)
Exactly right. Radflo may be a smaller company, but they've been around for quite a while. I dont have personal experience with them, but I know lots of people that do and they all love them.
The reason I like Fox is because they make 2.0 with remote reservoirs, just not in the coilover configuration. I have 14" travel 2.0 performance series remote reservoir Fox shock on the front of my crawler and 11" travel on the back. All tuned by AccuTune. Going from crappy Bilsteins and Rancho shocks to the Fox's was amazing. Then getting them tuned by AccuTune was even better.
Like I previously said, I'm not gonna be going 60+ mph through the desert, but traveling 100+ miles over the rocky desert will most definitely cause shock fade.

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
Bilstein are not crappy shocks. There not meant for for offroading. Get the correct parts for the correct application and primary use of the truck

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I agree with @jflogerzi that Bilsteins are great shocks. Are they the right shock for you? Maybe, maybe not.

Rancho on the otherhand I will agree that they arent that great.

OP
OP
Rad Ranger

Rad Ranger

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Rivian Technician
Bilstein are not crappy shocks. There not meant for for offroading. Get the correct parts for the correct application and primary use of the truck
The Bilsteins that were on my truck were crappy. They were old and wore tf out.
Also, yes they are made for offroad.

ParkerAzJeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Ranger 2019 Ranger
Have you considered Icon's? They make a 2 1/2 strut with or without a reservoir for the front and 2" with reservoir for the rear. We've had them on our Ranger for 18 months and love them.

OP
OP
Rad Ranger

Rad Ranger

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Rivian Technician
Have you considered Icon's? They make a 2 1/2 strut with or without a reservoir for the front and 2" with reservoir for the rear. We've had them on our Ranger for 18 months and love them.
I've had multiple bad experiences with Icon. Will not buy their shocks.

OP
OP
Rad Ranger

Rad Ranger

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Rivian Technician
@Rad Ranger any updates on those rears?
Yup!
Got them installed last week and went out for a nice trip Sun-Mon. Had to mount the reservoirs diagonally from the shock body, but no issues.

The trip was mostly just rough dirt roads, but had a few spots where it got technical. Went down a series of ledges and drug the hitch on the last one. Went through a rock garden that ended up pinching my exhaust tip also. Overall, the shocks felt great. Unfortunately, I'm still using the FX4 coilovers, so that was pretty miserable.

I ended up speaking with the AccuTune guys about 2.5 non-res vs res and they said not to bother with the non-reservoir. Just save up and buy the 2.5 with reservoir. While the damping is much better in a 2.5 vs a 2.0, the oil volume just isn't there to prevent fade and cavitation. Eventually I'll most likely be getting Radflo 2.5 remote resi coilovers.

As far as the 2.0 remote res rear shocks, they are not listed on the website yet. I will come back and post the link once they are added.

daniel3507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Nice. I'm still hesitant on 2.5 shocks. Just don't want to be overly stiff. I've been looking at some of the Radflo shocks and coilovers since they do offer a 2.0 remote res rear. Just wish there was a 2.0 remote res front.

OP
OP
Rad Ranger

Rad Ranger

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Rivian Technician
Nice. I'm still hesitant on 2.5 shocks. Just don't want to be overly stiff. I've been looking at some of the Radflo shocks and coilovers since they do offer a 2.0 remote res rear. Just wish there was a 2.0 remote res front.
2.5 will ride better. The larger diameter of the valve shims allow them to flex more than 2.0. They might hold a little tighter on the road, but as soon as you hit any bumps or dips, they should be way less harsh.

OP
OP
Rad Ranger

Rad Ranger

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Rivian Technician