5-Star vs Livernois Motorsports vs Unleashed Tuning

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
That’s a stock tune 93 octane.The HP is lower because it was 110 degrees in the Dyno room.. This HP and Torque is to the wheels..
Regards
Is your tuned using the BDX or the Ngauge?

I see both listed on the Unleashed site.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

zachattack54

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
I just uploaded a 91 Octane Unleashed tune to my truck. Very Impressed, On my quick loop, it pulls all the way to redline and shifts are not exaggerated. This will make a nice daily set up and I am looking forward to towing my 3500lb travel trailer on this tune.

The big thing that impressed me was how smooth in 10 gear on the highway. And fuel mileage is quite low as well!

Would recommend!

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Thanks Doc.

So we have Unleashed in your screen shot.

The following 2 are suggesting the following from motor, not wheels
We have 5 Star suggesting 312 HP / 369 TQ on 93% octane.
Ford Tune is suggesting 315 HP / 370 TQ

Question is:
Are we getting substantially more with cia, down pipe, cat back, plugs, & ignition coils?
Or is the sweet spot a tune & new intercooler?
Or everything?
So far I have no needs for extra mods ,Stock it runs a 13.99 ET Quarter Mile, faster than my 69 SS 396 Chevelle @ 14.6..and still having traction problems with the Ranger with a 2.1 sec. /60 ft.
Regards Doc

Last edited:

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I've been running a custom mid-grade (89 octane min) Unleashed tune that I pestered Torrie over the space of about two weeks to tweak for about a month now.

I wish I could say my gas mileage is better, but I keep finding a 'need' to use the power on tap.

I futzed around re-training the transmission by starting each morning nice and easy with the Towing switch on since it forces the transmission to shift through all the gears in sequence. By the time I get to the highway commute I've switched to the normal Drive, and sometimes I've dropped it into Sport for a distance.

If I treat the GO pedal delicately, shifting is much better than I recall the factory programming.

With the speed limiter removed, I'm amazed how easily the truck will pull quickly past 70 and beyond the former factory limit.

I'll be saving up for H rated tires at the very least, and aerodynamics seem to come into play a little over 100 mph. My truck is stock height/stock 18 inch wheels and tires.

The only tires that seem to have reviews that mention better handling than stock are some very expensive V rated tires.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
I've been running a custom mid-grade (89 octane min) Unleashed tune that I pestered Torrie over the space of about two weeks to tweak for about a month now.

I wish I could say my gas mileage is better, but I keep finding a 'need' to use the power on tap.

I futzed around re-training the transmission by starting each morning nice and easy with the Towing switch on since it forces the transmission to shift through all the gears in sequence. By the time I get to the highway commute I've switched to the normal Drive, and sometimes I've dropped it into Sport for a distance.

If I treat the GO pedal delicately, shifting is much better than I recall the factory programming.

With the speed limiter removed, I'm amazed how easily the truck will pull quickly past 70 and beyond the former factory limit.

I'll be saving up for H rated tires at the very least, and aerodynamics seem to come into play a little over 100 mph. My truck is stock height/stock 18 inch wheels and tires.

The only tires that seem to have reviews that mention better handling than stock are some very expensive V rated tires.
How do you like the tune ?

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
How do you like the tune ?
It's definitely added power to my ride, especially the 89 Octane minimum spec. It's taken a while for the shifting to adjust, and I'd hate to give up any midband power for too much more mods to shifting - I'd want the bottom six gearshifts to be softer.

I know I'm being odd trying to 'lux up' a truck, but coming from a sedan and this being my daily it's what I'm shooting for.

Someday I'll get around to figuring out if my mileage is better at all. So far it's not due to my lead foot, but clearly the best bang for the buck performance wise.

Spence's bumper sticker

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Edge Sport
Occupation
Security Analyst + USN

Spence's bumper sticker

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Edge Sport
Occupation
Security Analyst + USN
And fuel mileage is quite low as well!
Zach, can you clarify please? Did you mean to say fuel consumption is low? Has your MPG gone down or up? Thanks

theanswer3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Vehicle Showcase
It's definitely added power to my ride, especially the 89 Octane minimum spec. It's taken a while for the shifting to adjust, and I'd hate to give up any midband power for too much more mods to shifting - I'd want the bottom six gearshifts to be softer.

I know I'm being odd trying to 'lux up' a truck, but coming from a sedan and this being my daily it's what I'm shooting for.

Someday I'll get around to figuring out if my mileage is better at all. So far it's not due to my lead foot, but clearly the best bang for the buck performance wise.
I wonder if I have a variation of the tune you mentioned. I also have an unleashed 89 performance tune, I just got today. Love it, shifts pretty smooth compared to stock, good amount of power.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
I wonder if I have a variation of the tune you mentioned. I also have an unleashed 89 performance tune, I just got today. Love it, shifts pretty smooth compared to stock, good amount of power.
Torrie says if you can put 91+ octane in it the performance is even better. My problem is availability of that grade.

The five star 87 performance was good but the shifts were unpleasant for me.

Granted I have the aftermarket exhaust but it seems the torque curve is broader and higher. I suppose it's a given that HP is up, but better tires need to be on my list of upgrades :sunglasses:

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
You can also check out Gearheads tuning with auto octane adjust. I have the Unleashed tune and Gearheads they’re both top notch in my opinion....smooth, easy to drive, great shift points and improved MPG’s for me I like Gearheads a little better.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Latest hand calc of mileage - I keep stomping the gas - has been mid 17 MPG. It was low 18 with the stock tune on a mix of fuels. Maybe 75-80% highway.

If I had to self analyze it's because the torque curve has changed which is 'enabling ' a driving style that is not conducive to conserving fuel. My perception is it comes on early and stays nice and fat into the mid 3000 RPMs (and above) possibly aided by the free-flowing exhaust. I'm repeating myself, sorry. The big eye-opener is how easily I can exceed 100 MPH on an open straightaway. In a truck.

Horsepower is a given and more = lower MPG. If I were gentler on the gas (and put it in 'trailer mode') I might achieve better numbers, but traffic will not allow. I got places to be.

Last edited:

Extreme01

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2008 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the Ford Performance tune instead of the others. Had the dealer install so I could have the warranty. So far I'm happy with the performance of this tune.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
To anyone running the 5-Star tune that has issues with the jerky shifting, I asked them to give me bone stock (or as close as possible) transmission settings. The added power with the stock shift pattern was quite enjoyable for me. Plus If I wanted more aggressive shifting, I could always shift into sport mode. I ended up going back to stock because my tunes always ran very rich to the point where I couldn't get better than 19mpg doing 60mph with cruise control on flat ground near sea level. I also had a strong fuel smell in my exhaust. I havent heard anyone else mention the same symptoms as me though so as of now, I believe I am an exception, not the norm.
I have been running the 5-Star 93 Performance tune for about 1200+ miles now and it's been near flawless. The transmission shifting was fairly harsh at first but after about 200 miles it smoothed out considerably. So much so that now it's not all that much different now than it was when stock. My only mods aside from the tune are a K&N drop in and a 3" DynoMax Super Turbo muffler (wanted better flow than stock with none of the noise) and I get fantastic mileage for a truck. In 100+ weather I'm easily getting 26-28 Mpg on the freeway and 18-20 in the city and works out to an overall average per tank sits at 24-25 mpg.
Sponsored