27k miles CEL for O2 sensor.

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Got a check engine light the other day, and when I ran forscan I found out it's a 02 sensor. This seems way to early for a vehicle with 27k miles on it. I took it to the dealership and they said they would need it for 2 weeks, because of covid-19 restrictions, and we're backed up.

I ordered the $20 sensor and I'll put it in myself.:mad: it will probably take me 20 mins. 2 weeks is insane.
Sponsored

peterson1604

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
Got a check engine light the other day, and when I ran forscan I found out it's a 02 sensor. This seems way to early for a vehicle with 27k miles on it. I took it to the dealership and they said they would need it for 2 weeks, because of covid-19 restrictions, and we're backed up.

I ordered the $20 sensor and I'll put it in myself.:mad: it will probably take me 20 mins. 2 weeks is insane.
That's crazy California for you.

Dochatley

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
It’s nuts that they need to keep it for 2 weeks. Why not just order the sensor and schedule an appointment with you when it arrives?
That would make too much sense.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
Sounds good, you can rack up the miles on a loaner for 2 weeks instead of your Ranger...

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Interesting how you have 27,000 miles with a check engine light for the O2 already. I have just over 29,000 miles and i haven't had mine for a year quite yet(it will be on the 30th) and i haven't had a single light. I wonder if it is a minor defect or sorts?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Yeah if I pay for it. Dealer here does not give free loaners
If it is under warranty(oh wait it is under you 5 year 60,000 mile warranty) then Ford pays for it and you can call Ford customer care to resolve this.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
I guess i just figured if it was warranty it would be free.

GhostStrykre

First Name
Bowen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
If it is under warranty(oh wait it is under you 5 year 60,000 mile warranty) then Ford pays for it and you can call Ford customer care to resolve this.
this. When I got my Ranger the finance manager spent like five minutes repeating that I get a loaner for any repair that requires the dealer to keep the truck more than a day.

so for your dealer they need to decide which it is. Either they only need it for a day (no loaner) or they need it for two weeks (you get a a loaner).

this was my understanding after the finance guy kept repeating it to me.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Should be under the federal emissions warranty which is 8ys/80,000. Was just looking at it.
A lot of stuff covered under that warranty, supposedly even the turbo it says.

Sounds like you got one comin though, $20 isn't bad. Sensor 1 which is a wideband on these is about $100. Surprised the rear one went first TBH.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
i have had recalls in the past where a rental car was specified to be supplied to me while the repair was carried out.
Ive also had courtesy cars supplied to me for maintenance where i left the vehicle there for the day. sometimes at their request, sometimes mine. I simply ask if a loaner is available. its either a yes or a no.
i even managed to "test drive" a car to go for breakfast while they did an oil change once. and have had their shuttle service drive me around on other occasions....even to work 30 minutes away.

with that being said, i found this with the googles, outlining some of Fords policy on warranty work, even though it's old and a newer version is only available online to dealerships, I doubt much has changed. it's not 100% related to this thread so dont read it unless you're curious about their whole warranty work process for shits and giggles.

https://www.fleet.ford.ca/content/d...-service/warranty/WarrantyAndPolicyManual.pdf

I also found during a bunch of reading, that each dealer is franchised owned and can do what they want. while some will offer loaners under their own free will, it is not required. unless, you bought an extended warranty with that provision then they must provide you with one.
One of the perks I got when buying my Ranger was a free detailing by the dealership. I was genuinely shocked to find out the dealership was giving me a loaner during the few hours they were keeping my truck for the detailing. Granted, the loaner was a used Escape, but still...

OP
OP
Stic-o

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
We'll I tried getting the sensor out my self with no luck. It's a easy sensor to get too, just can't really get leverage on it. Ended up taking it to a different dealership and they had a lot of trouble getting it out too. But after 2 days, they got it out and replaced.

So all back to normal.
Sponsored