CEL P2450 at 500 miles

Roly

First Name
Roly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger crew cab, XLT, 302-a, saber, 2009 Mazda 5. 1999 Ranger XLT, 1998 Ford E350 Chinook RV, 2001 Yamaha Star 650 cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
P2450 indicates a problem with the evaporative emission blocking valve. I don't see anything here about that code, but lots of F150 types have experienced it. I just saw this tonight, will have to arrange a visit to the nearest Ford dealer tomorrow.

Has anybody seen this on their Ranger? On the F150's it involves removing the fuel tank.

Roly
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
P2450 indicates a problem with the evaporative emission blocking valve. I don't see anything here about that code, but lots of F150 types have experienced it. I just saw this tonight, will have to arrange a visit to the nearest Ford dealer tomorrow.

Has anybody seen this on their Ranger? On the F150's it involves removing the fuel tank.

Roly
Hi Roly,

If it comes to dropping the tank, it is far easier to remove the pickup box than to drop the tank. That is the way we did it at Ford anytime we need to change fuel pumps, senders etc.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Roly

Roly

First Name
Roly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger crew cab, XLT, 302-a, saber, 2009 Mazda 5. 1999 Ranger XLT, 1998 Ford E350 Chinook RV, 2001 Yamaha Star 650 cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Hi Roly,

If it comes to dropping the tank, it is far easier to remove the pickup box than to drop the tank. That is the way we did it at Ford anytime we need to change fuel pumps, senders etc.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks Phil. While you're nearby, let me pose another query:

Could a couple of additional concerns be connected to this code? For one thing, fueling at the pump has been difficult, pump clicking off many times before full, and pretty lousy mileage. Kinked vent tube??

Thanks
Roly

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Phil. While you're nearby, let me pose another query:

Could a couple of additional concerns be connected to this code? For one thing, fueling at the pump has been difficult, pump clicking off many times before full, and pretty lousy mileage. Kinked vent tube??

Thanks
Roly
Hi Roly,

Premature shutoff is almost No 1 on customer dissatisfaction surveys and Ford developed specific testing to enure Ford customers do not experience this. Probably not completely foolproof, but threads here have addressed this and in most cases it was pump specific. So a kinked vent hose may be indeed the problem, but first try a different pump at a different station and see if the the premature shutoff still occurs. If it does happen again...I recommend you take it to the dealer to address your concern. As for poor mileage, I cannot really offer you any help other that to have the dealer check for any codes, but usually you will get a CEL with other codes besides the evap code. Hopefully other folks can chime on the mileage concern.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Roly

Roly

First Name
Roly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Follow up here on my code P2450:

I took it to my local dealer today for a warranty fix, and they found that the fuel fill assembly had been miss-installed at the fuel door end, causing the fill hose to be restricted by a big kink. They removed the left rear wheel well liner to get at it. This also caused my earlier problem fueling the truck; the pump(s) clicking off repeatedly. It was not an emissions valve at the top of the gas tank.

CEL gone, everything ok good.

Roly

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Follow up here on my code P2450:

I took it to my local dealer today for a warranty fix, and they found that the fuel fill assembly had been miss-installed at the fuel door end, causing the fill hose to be restricted by a big kink. They removed the left rear wheel well liner to get at it. This also caused my earlier problem fueling the truck; the pump(s) clicking off repeatedly. It was not an emissions valve at the top of the gas tank.

CEL gone, everything ok good.

Roly
Hi Roly,

Glad they found the problem and corrected it!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored