RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I assume you are taking it in to the dealer? If so, let us know what the cause was.

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
808matt

808matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Sport Package, 2015 f450 Bucket Truck
I assume you are taking it in to the dealer? If so, let us know what the cause was.
Drove straight to the dealer, waited 3 hours for them to tell me it was the oil pressure sensor that went bad. (147 miles) and then waited another hour for them to set me up with a loaner car.

Actually not hating on the transit van. It’s actually pretty nice in the inside

AAD7E1B7-9414-4BC6-858F-4B077F096510.jpeg

OP
OP
808matt

808matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waited 3 months for the truck to come in, drove it for 6 days and now I have to wait at least a week for a new sensor to come in. Hate to say it but this might be the last time I go with ford again

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Waited 3 months for the truck to come in, drove it for 6 days and now I have to wait at least a week for a new sensor to come in. Hate to say it but this might be the last time I go with ford again
It's a sensor. Electronics fail. Usually very early in its life. It sucks but it happens. With every vehicle.

You can get a new oil or o2 sensor and it can fail 10 miles down the road after install.

I had an transmission sensor fail in my jeep after 48 miles. Thats what the warranty is for.

You think ford is the only maker to have a sensor fail?

As far as issues are concerned, what happened to you is as about as a no big deal as you can get. Its nota quality issue or design flaw. A sensor failed. If that's the only issue you have, consider yourself lucky.

OP
OP
808matt

808matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's a sensor. Electronics fail. Usually very early in its life. It sucks but it happens. With every vehicle.

You can get a new oil or o2 sensor and it can fail 10 miles down the road after install.

I had an transmission sensor fail in my jeep after 48 miles. Thats what the warranty is for.

You think ford is the only maker to have a sensor fail?

As far as issues are concerned, what happened to you is as about as a no big deal as you can get. Its nota quality issue or design flaw. A sensor failed. If that's the only issue you have, consider yourself lucky.
Sorry, I meant to say the dealership is what put me off. I have no problems with Ford. Just the shitty customer service

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, I meant to say the dealership is what put me off. I have no problems with Ford. Just the shitty customer service
Ah. Yeah gotta find a good dealer and stick with it.

The jeep dealer was the worst i have dealt with and will never go back.

I bought my 2014 F150 from the dealer i ordered my Ranger through. Been satisfied so far, so lucky there.

Of course my ranger was delivered today.....hope i can get it soon. Not sure if it wikk be ready tomorrow or not. Just got back from a business trip and haven't spoke to them yet

samsd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 HPR, 2016 Town and Country, 2004 Road King Custom
Occupation
Retired
The dealer can make or break the experience for sure, bought a new 2004 Taurus and a 2004 Dakota from the same out of town dealer, service was appalling. Will never go back and let them know why and anybody that will listen. My home town dealer has been great and my 87 year old mother takes her car there, free car wash on Saturday, all her service and she can be a bit demanding but they treat her with great patience. Have not had anything go wrong with the Ranger yet but am just at 3000 miles.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
"Its nota quality issue or design flaw"

yes it is. a sensor that fails, failed to meet a quality standard, no argument required.
It may not be built by Ford, but some sub contractor/supplier will have to be answering some tough questions by Ford at some point if it continues.
I'm sure there is an expected failure rate, but that still doesn't remove a quality issue or design flaw from the equation. It just allows the accountants the chance to budget for failing.
You are right, it is a quality issue, but I think maybe what he was trying to say (and what I feel) is that it isn't a fundamental design flaw or a larger quality issue. Modern cars have tons of sensors - and sensors fail. I was concerned when I first heard about the CEL for the injectors, but that again wasn't a fundamental design flaw, it sounded like a bad batch of injectors.

Thus far (knock on wood), I've not heard of any issues that I would consider fundamental design flaws or systemic issues with the Ranger. I think that speaks well of the Ford Engineers that worked on this truck as well as the MAP plant workers who have spun up the brand new assembly line with minimal issues. Hopefully they won't find anything major, but after 7-8 months of having the vehicles out in the wild, things seem to be going pretty well I think.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
"Its nota quality issue or design flaw"

yes it is. a sensor that fails, failed to meet a quality standard, no argument required.
It may not be built by Ford, but some sub contractor/supplier will have to be answering some tough questions by Ford at some point if it continues.
I'm sure there is an expected failure rate, but that still doesn't remove a quality issue or design flaw from the equation. It just allows the accountants the chance to budget for failing.
Nope. 100% false. An electronic component can pass every test and meet or exceed all design specs akd standards and still fail in a very short time. I know. I am in the business.

It happens. Electronic components fail. There are factors that will, and can never, be found in testing or standards.
Not with todays technology.

You can install a sensor that passes every quality test, meets all standards, and meet all specs, and still fails 15 miles down the road.

It is a very small percentage that fails, but it happens. How many oil sensors have failed? 5 maybe. Out of what over 55000 in use. Thats less than .1%. .1 is a very small number.

But nothing can be done. 0% failure rate is not possible. In anything.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
I can relate to faulty new components.

1997 BMW M3, went to replaced the starter. To do this the manifold has to come off.

While having the starter rebuilt I had the fuel injectors rebuild, complete with flow test.
Got everything back together. Would not start. Code for cam position sensor popped up. Replaced with a new one, forgot the brand but still would not start.

It took a year to sort out the problem using two highly recommended BMW shops which I had to have it towed to, so to make a long story short and $4300 later..... the cam position sensor would not talk to the computer, well that “brand” of sensor would not. Replaced sensor with BMW’s stamp on it and it’s been running great since.

Btw, the fuel injectors were not rebuilt as promised and they also had to be replaced.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
'
it absolutely failed. it failed the longevity test...its still a fail even though all the initial function tests passed no matter what you believe.
try and spin it any way you like but a failed part, is a failed part. hence warranties are applied, and the fact I already said the cost of these failures is already calculated and dealt with.
Yes a part failed. No spin needed to know it is not a qaulity or testing issue.

That is why there are warranties. Some failures cannot be averted.

It is not a quality or testing problem if .01% of a production sees issues.

The only way your point is valid is if 0% failure rate is the norm or at least common.

I will wait for a single example of any electronic component that has acheived a 0% failure rate.
Sponsored