Sponsored

2023 XLT Left side steering wheel controls go out intermittently.

Jeremytarmstrong

New Member
First Name
Jeremy
Joined
May 20, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
Tennessee
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Lawyer
This has been happening since about 25k miles, and usually worse as the weather changes. The steering wheel controls on the left side do not work unless I turn the truck off and back on. It is an intermittent issue- it may happen three times this week and not again for a month, so the dealership was no help since they could not replicate the problem on a short test drive. This is frustrating when I realize once I am on the interstate that I cannot turn my cruise on. Usually it will happen from crank, but sometimes they stop working mid-drive, so I can then no longer control the cruise (I do not know they stopped working until I either try to reset the cruise or change something on the trip screen). Anyone else had this issue? It seems like a hardware issue except that it comes mid-drive and resets (usually) if I restart the truck. I do not want to tear the wheel apart and replace it only for it to be a software/firmware issue.
Sponsored

 

airline tech

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2022
Threads
28
Messages
4,657
Reaction score
8,925
Location
Midwest - KS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
if the complete left switch is intermittently dropping power to all functions, then you have a bad connection or connector not properly secured.
SCCM feeds the clock spring, clock spring feeds the steering wheel switch packs, I would check the switch pack connector first.
It's not a software issue it's a power/ ground issue.
 

airline tech

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2022
Threads
28
Messages
4,657
Reaction score
8,925
Location
Midwest - KS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Just to confirm - Is it both the Cruise Control Switches and the (Arrow/ Ok Keypad) or is it only the Cruise Control Switch pack?
 
Last edited:

ControlNode

Well-Known Member
First Name
John
Joined
Nov 29, 2021
Threads
17
Messages
1,739
Reaction score
3,766
Location
Eastern NC
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
Interesting, mine did something similar today for the first time. Not 100% the same. I left the house and as I got on to the highway I turned cruise on and pressed the set button, but it immediately indicated cancelled on the dash and then would not enable. I little while later I thought to cycle the cruise off/on, but I can't as it's not responding to the on/off button either. I tried the arrows above the cruise controls and no response from them either. Audio controls on the right side were working.

Maybe I'll remember to try pulling codes from the modules when I get home tonight.
 

ControlNode

Well-Known Member
First Name
John
Joined
Nov 29, 2021
Threads
17
Messages
1,739
Reaction score
3,766
Location
Eastern NC
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
And did it again when I was almost home after nearly an hour of driving back. Was working fine, cruising at 50, speed limit went up and I attempted to increase speed by holding until new target speed was set, but got the cancel notice instead and buttons on the left stopped working again.
Sponsored

 
 








Top