First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Steelworkers
Going down the highway my brakes became very soft, stopped at sheets to fill up and pedle went to the floor multiple times but still had brakes. Than returned to normal. Anyone experience this?
Sponsored

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I have a similar problem with my gas pedal. ?

But seriously, that’s not good. I’ve never had this occur with my new Ranger and haven’t noticed any posts about others having this issue. Time to get better acquainted with your Service Advisor,I guess. Good luck.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Going down the highway my brakes became very soft, stopped at sheets to fill up and pedle went to the floor multiple times but still had brakes. Than returned to normal. Anyone experience this?
Hi Joshua,

This is not something to hope goes away....Immediately get this to the dealer...it needs to be fixed...not normal at all.... You are the first as I recall that has had this problem out of 10,000 or so forum members. Call the dealer and have them come and get it...do not chance driving it to the dealer.... Is there a chance there is fluid on the driveway/garage floor... If so, where...front right or left, or rear....Something is way wrong....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Gixxers

Gixxers

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Steelworkers
Hi Joshua,

This is not something to hope goes away....Immediately get this to the dealer...it needs to be fixed...not normal at all.... You are the first as I recall that has had this problem out of 10,000 or so forum members. Call the dealer and have them come and get it...do not chance driving it to the dealer.... Is there a chance there is fluid on the driveway/garage floor... If so, where...front right or left, or rear....Something is way wrong....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I made an appointment for Saturday morning, I haven't noticed any leaks buy its been raining. Everything seems normal I think it was just air in the brake or something.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I made an appointment for Saturday morning, I haven't noticed any leaks buy its been raining. Everything seems normal I think it was just air in the brake or something.
Hi Joshua,

Air in the brake system does not purge itself.... Evac and fill at the assembly plant should preclude air in the lines.... This needs to be diagnosed and fixed at the dealer...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Gixxers

Gixxers

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Steelworkers
Hi Joshua,

Air in the brake system does not purge itself.... Evac and fill at the assembly plant should preclude air in the lines.... This needs to be diagnosed and fixed at the dealer...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Yeah I know. Kinda screwed at the moment gotta go to work so I have to make due

Sign1941

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT/FX4
Let us know how the appointment with the dealer went, curious what’s going on.

OP
OP
Gixxers

Gixxers

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Steelworkers
Updated, shop Forman is reaching out to ford. So basically there doing nothing lol

OP
OP
Gixxers

Gixxers

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Steelworkers
what do you want from them?
you described it as an intermittent fault, and its back to normal.

im no magician and neither are they....
Damn I was really hoping for some magic.

OP
OP
Gixxers

Gixxers

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Steelworkers
im sure everyone is.
but the reality is mechanics these days, especially tied down with warranty criteria dont have much leeway anymore.
if theres nothing obvious and they dont know the solution....they go to the mother ship
Right. I don't expect anything other than them to attempt to inspect the brake system. Even if it's an intermittent fault. I'm just glad I have a dynamic work schedule and have the time to waste sitting around.

navibean

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Transit
Occupation
Energy Worker
Hey Joshua - I just joined the Forum, but I wanted to catch up with you, about this long-ago issue you were having with your brakes. Did you ever find a fix for it ?
I am having an almost identical problem with my Ford Transit.
I sure hope that you have enjoyed safe driving since then - and I hope that you got everything resolved OK.
2 Q's) I wonder 2 things: If you have the EcoBoost 3.5-Liter engine ? And how long you were driving before symptoms started ?
I'm still troubleshooting (= guessing), but the EcoBoost engine (being turbo'd) has a different kind of vacuum pump from a non-turbo engine. And I think that the master cylinder being immediately above the driver's-side turbo could be troublesome: Possibly the brake fluid is being super-heated ( 1+ hour of highway driving does it for me) and becomes ineffective. And/or an internal seal is being affected by the extreme heat.
So, I hope your brakes have gotten stoppier & brakier. :like:

~~~
A quick update: ... just to describe more details about my situation:
* I'm seeing no loss of brake fluid. (This is what's making me wonder if it's maybe an internal leak, and the fluid is not actually leaking out of the system - but leaking inside the system.)
But a vacuum issue might explain this no-loss-of-fluid.
* And this problem does not happen consistently: It only happens to me about once a year, only after (but not always after) an hour+ on the highway.
* I have filed a complaint with the NTSB, in the hopes of them maybe seeing patterns across complaints, so they might prompt Ford to extend the warranty for this particular issue.

Last edited:

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Without looking at the Transit manual, I would say you are looking in the right direction, if you are only having issues with hi-way drives and it does fine in city driving.

Pedal going to the floor is a usual indication of leak or air in the system.
But
If you have a leaking brake booster, vacuum lines to it and if I am correct the Transit has a Vacuum Pump, can possibly give same effect. (Sinking Brake Pedal)

If you are driving at low speeds the intake vacuum is higher, at higher speeds the intake vacuum is lower. so, you may have a leak in the system or failed booster or failed vacuum pump as it appears it is not holding the proper vacuum at hi-way speeds.

So, the vacuum at the booster is important and this is the balance point of where to look, city vs hi-way driving for brake pedal feel.
In city driving the pedal may feel harder than normal as you have some vacuum on the booster.
Hi-way drive you are depleting all vacuum at the booster, due to the loss of high-pressure vacuum at low speeds.
A leak in the system or failed vacuum pump is going to show itself here.

I would check the Booster, check valve, vac pressure sensor and Vac Pump, if this issue is vacuum related its most likely one of them is causing it.

Edit:
Although it is possible that the master cylinder is by-passing fluid if it gets hot, but I think this would be a situation where you would not have any or very little braking at all.

And an off the wall test, would be when at hi-way speeds, let off the gas and coast a few times, if brake pedal feels notably better, then you have confirmed a vacuum issue, as you are bringing the engine back to idle with higher vacuum.

Other things to check as if there is a vacuum leak you should hear hissing at idle and the engine would have a slight miss with high positive STFT's and then the STFT would lower as you increase the RPM's - STFT = Short Term Fuel Trim

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if this applies, but there is a condition called pad knockback if you have warped rotors.

Best,
Phil
Sponsored