First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 2wd/ 2003 F150 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Re(tired) Electrician
Frankly, there's nothing to say the 2 things are connected. If I read this correctly you had no problems for 7.5 months after install?

It's sort of a leap to try to connect the 2 events, but still, take it to the dealer and tell them to fix it.
Well it started with the boards alone for I'm guessing a couple months, I called Amp reserve they said bring it back to dealer they would replace defected part if any, then the boards and at the same time electronics would act up. This would happen at the same time. That's why I think it may be a short. Been so busy haven't had time to bring it in. But I will on the 27th of april, have an app with Ford
Sponsored

OP
OP
Doogie

Doogie

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Re(tired) Electrician
gosh a month to wait for the dealer service... that stinks. id call around to other dealers. tell them its cash pay not warranty and they will have you at the front of the line in a jiff lol. then when its done so oh sorry i forgot - warranty.
I was going to bring it back to the dealer we bought it from but they're too far away to drive, that's why the wait. This dealer is nearby less hassle
gosh a month to wait for the dealer service... that stinks. id call around to other dealers. tell them its cash pay not warranty and they will have you at the front of the line in a jiff lol. then when its done so oh sorry i forgot - warranty.
[The wait is because we're not going to the dealership we bought it from but a nearby dealer

OP
OP
Doogie

Doogie

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Re(tired) Electrician
Being that I have never installed Power Boards, I did look at the AMP Install instructions, It looks like you tap into the OBD port wiring for Power and Ground, I tried to find the wire pin out for the OBD port, but will take some digging, but I do remember that it contains the COM bus and that is what the Running Boards are tapped into, and that bus ties into allot of modules, so being that they are operating while driving it may possibly be a defective door ajar switch or running board control module, and since it is on the same Com bus the other truck systems it triggers faults along the same bus.
So, I would at least look at the tapped connections on the OBD port where they tapped into it and check for security, it's possible they are touching together, in that tight wire harness.
Looks like , (so far anyhow) it was the running board control module. Took the wife on a 3.5 hour trip after unplugging the control module and no more problems. Now Ford can fix it when I bring it in.
Being that I have never installed Power Boards, I did look at the AMP Install instructions, It looks like you tap into the OBD port wiring for Power and Ground, I tried to find the wire pin out for the OBD port, but will take some digging, but I do remember that it contains the COM bus and that is what the Running Boards are tapped into, and that bus ties into allot of modules, so being that they are operating while driving it may possibly be a defective door ajar switch or running board control module, and since it is on the same Com bus the other truck systems it triggers faults along the same bus.
So, I would at least look at the tapped connections on the OBD port where they tapped into it and check for security, it's possible they are touching together, in that tight wire harness.

OP
OP
Doogie

Doogie

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Re(tired) Electrician
Well it started with the boards alone for I'm guessing a couple months, I called Amp reserve they said bring it back to dealer they would replace defected part if any, then the boards and at the same time electronics would act up. This would happen at the same time. That's why I think it may be a short. Been so busy haven't had time to bring it in. But I will on the 27th of april, have an app with Ford
Brought the Ranger to figure this out, finnaly, Had to wait a month for my appt. And after all this time it was the frigging battery! The battery must have started going out 7 months after we bought the truck. Makes no sense. We'll I wanted to let yall know incase your radio, ac, Lane assist etc starts going on and off you'll know it was the battery.

OP
OP
Doogie

Doogie

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Re(tired) Electrician
I have an update about my truck and the power running boards. I fixed my truck myself. After 5 trips to the dealer where they did little to nothing AND my truck sat with them over 6 weeks total. Airline Tech was right, unfortunately I read what he said after weeks of hunting the problem down, then fixing it. The problem? There were two. It was an incompetent Ford tech who connected into a wrong wire behind the OBD port. And every incompetent tech that couldn't find the problem after him. I will be talking to Ford about this. And thanks guys for your input
Sponsored