First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 2wd/ 2003 F150 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Re(tired) Electrician
Hey guys, haven't posted in a while. I'm having all kinds of problems with my Ranger. This all started maybe 8 months after buying my truck. I had power running boards installed about 2 weeks after buying the truck. And at the advice of my smart little wife, I had the Ford dealer install them in case anything went wrong. And boy has it gone wrong. As I said earlier about 8 month after getting these Amp power running boards installed (cause my wife is 5' 2") problems started. The running boards would start opening and closing while going down the road. The a/c , radio, would stop working. A warning would flash on the dash saying the anti collision radar is off. Or the radio a/c controls would stop working , no volume or fan speed control. So has anyone heard of anything like this before? I think there's a short in the wiring somewhere under the truck where they passed wires through these thin tiny grommets.
Sponsored

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Im not a ford mechanic so dont trust my words but my guess is BCM body control module issue.
I assume you went back to the dealer for them to look at it?
any trouble codes?
no harm in unhooking the battery for a full night and seeing if the system relearns and decides to adopt the running boards.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Being that I have never installed Power Boards, I did look at the AMP Install instructions, It looks like you tap into the OBD port wiring for Power and Ground, I tried to find the wire pin out for the OBD port, but will take some digging, but I do remember that it contains the COM bus and that is what the Running Boards are tapped into, and that bus ties into allot of modules, so being that they are operating while driving it may possibly be a defective door ajar switch or running board control module, and since it is on the same Com bus the other truck systems it triggers faults along the same bus.
So, I would at least look at the tapped connections on the OBD port where they tapped into it and check for security, it's possible they are touching together, in that tight wire harness.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Frankly, there's nothing to say the 2 things are connected. If I read this correctly you had no problems for 7.5 months after install?

It's sort of a leap to try to connect the 2 events, but still, take it to the dealer and tell them to fix it.

OP
OP
Doogie

Doogie

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Re(tired) Electrician
Im not a ford mechanic so dont trust my words but my guess is BCM body control module issue.
I assume you went back to the dealer for them to look at it?
any trouble codes?
no harm in unhooking the battery for a full night and seeing if the system relearns and decides to adopt the running boards.
We have an appointment April 27 with Ford. And I'm still under warranty thank goodness. I've been disconnecting the battery but not overnight, I will tonight tho. I hope it is just the BCM, thanks , I appreciate the response!

OP
OP
Doogie

Doogie

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Re(tired) Electrician
Take it back to the dealership. They fucked it up. They can fix it.
Yeah, I have an appointment April 27.. I just hope they can fix it.

OP
OP
Doogie

Doogie

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Re(tired) Electrician
My thoughts are they unhooked a connector to add pins for power/ground, and somehow its not fully clicked back together.
I sure hope it's that simple, that would be nice. I'll find out when I bring it in

OP
OP
Doogie

Doogie

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Re(tired) Electrician
Being that I have never installed Power Boards, I did look at the AMP Install instructions, It looks like you tap into the OBD port wiring for Power and Ground, I tried to find the wire pin out for the OBD port, but will take some digging, but I do remember that it contains the COM bus and that is what the Running Boards are tapped into, and that bus ties into allot of modules, so being that they are operating while driving it may possibly be a defective door ajar switch or running board control module, and since it is on the same Com bus the other truck systems it triggers faults along the same bus.
So, I would at least look at the tapped connections on the OBD port where they tapped into it and check for security, it's possible they are touching together, in that tight wire harness.
I'm going to check that out. But if I don't see an obvious problem, I think I won't touch it, they might say I did something. If I had no warranty I sure would tho. Thanks!

diesel924

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2020 Escape
Occupation
Fire truck mechanic
Seems like a lot of amperage to be pulling out of the OBD port. I'd love to see a wiring diagram for these boards, sounds like fun times.

OP
OP
Doogie

Doogie

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Re(tired) Electrician
I’d remove PWR to those boards and see if issue goes away
I tried that I have the fuse pulled, still have problems. The problem used to go away for weeks when I'd pull the fuse for 20 min or so, but not anymore

OP
OP
Doogie

Doogie

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Re(tired) Electrician
Seems like a lot of amperage to be pulling out of the OBD port. I'd love to see a wiring diagram for these boards, sounds like fun times.
It looks complicated for sure. I'll see if a can get a pic and post it.
Yeah right, it looks complicated

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
gosh a month to wait for the dealer service... that stinks. id call around to other dealers. tell them its cash pay not warranty and they will have you at the front of the line in a jiff lol. then when its done so oh sorry i forgot - warranty.
Sponsored