2020 Lariat Fx4 rough downshifting when braking

briwill70

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Not sure if anyone is still following this but I'm having the same issues. Rough downshifts which sometimes cause the truck to lurch at stoplights. I have to say, I've been on a few road trips and pulled a trailer through the mountains and this thing was absolutely amazing. Love driving this on the highway. Around town/in the city is another story. I hate the way it shifts. Hunting for gears at low speeds and I have to jam on the pedal to get this thing to move. In town it has 2 speeds, crawl and bat outa hell.
Sponsored

Reactions: EJH

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Not sure if anyone is still following this but I'm having the same issues. Rough downshifts which sometimes cause the truck to lurch at stoplights. I have to say, I've been on a few road trips and pulled a trailer through the mountains and this thing was absolutely amazing. Love driving this on the highway. Around town/in the city is another story. I hate the way it shifts. Hunting for gears at low speeds and I have to jam on the pedal to get this thing to move. In town it has 2 speeds, crawl and bat outa hell.
I sympathize. Your downshifting sounds worse than mine. Mine is much better (almost normal) in sport mode. Non-sport mode is rough on quicker deceleration. I am debating a tune, in hopes to improve the shifting, and non-sport mode drivability. Driving in sport mode all the time is too manic for me, lol.

Agree that on highway and road tripping this truck rocks.

Feel free to PM me as we are both in the same area.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I have the Livernois tune and still experience rougher than normal downshifting on my 21. The tune isn't going to solve this particular issue.

It is definitely more pronounced in Tow/Haul mode and has nothing to do with engine braking. That part I expect. Getting jerked forward in your seat on a downshift isn't normal. Ill flash back to stock for a bit and see what happens.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
I'm beginning to understand why all the dealerships are telling us "it's a normal characteristic of the truck" ?

RangerFropa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
After waiting a couple of months for an appointment slot, my truck finally went into the dealer. The notes indicate TSB 21-2315 was found in oasis. The adaptive tables were cleared and then relearned.

After driving the truck for a day, nothing appears to have changed. I doubt this issue is going to be solved via software.

It's almost as if the torque converter is overly aggressive and does not properly disengage, especially when coming to a complete stop. It seems to be worse with with greater deceleration.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
It's almost as if the torque converter is overly aggressive and does not properly disengage, especially when coming to a complete stop. It seems to be worse with with greater deceleration.
Exact way I would discribe it also. Does yours improve significantly in Sport mode. Mine is almost gone in Sport mode.

Yinzcity

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I had the same issue with my Mar 19 (I think) built Lariat. Jerky stopping, especially if you have a fast stop. Had it pretty much since the truck was new and got worse by 15k. I thought it was trans related for the longest time too, but it turned out to be the rear brake rotors. I diagnosed mine by going to an empty straight road, going to about 35mph, shifting into neutral and using the ebrake to apply a bit of pressure to the rear brakes only. Got the typical roughness and pulsing of a warped rotor. I replaced both rotors and pads in the rear myself (didnt want to deal with waiting for the dealer and wanted new parts, not just rotors that are turned down) and the problem was solved. I also cleared the trans adaptive tables with Forscan after and that seemed to help too, but that may not be needed. You can still feel the trans downshift a little, but its now what I would expect for a good vehicle. The other thing that made a huge difference is bleeding the ABS pump with Forscan. Member commbubba19 has a good writeup on that in the issues section in this forum. Made a huge difference for me, the brake is a lot more predictable and linear.

I've still got a misfire issue that the dealer is working on now, but thats another story.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I had the same issue with my Mar 19 (I think) built Lariat. Jerky stopping, especially if you have a fast stop. Had it pretty much since the truck was new and got worse by 15k. I thought it was trans related for the longest time too, but it turned out to be the rear brake rotors. I diagnosed mine by going to an empty straight road, going to about 35mph, shifting into neutral and using the ebrake to apply a bit of pressure to the rear brakes only. Got the typical roughness and pulsing of a warped rotor. I replaced both rotors and pads in the rear myself (didnt want to deal with waiting for the dealer and wanted new parts, not just rotors that are turned down) and the problem was solved. I also cleared the trans adaptive tables with Forscan after and that seemed to help too, but that may not be needed. You can still feel the trans downshift a little, but its now what I would expect for a good vehicle. The other thing that made a huge difference is bleeding the ABS pump with Forscan. Member commbubba19 has a good writeup on that in the issues section in this forum. Made a huge difference for me, the brake is a lot more predictable and linear.

I've still got a misfire issue that the dealer is working on now, but thats another story.
Interesting, but mine is significantly better (almost gone) in Sport mode vs Normal. That rules out brakes IMHO?

Yinzcity

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Interesting, but mine is significantly better (almost gone) in Sport mode vs Normal. That rules out brakes IMHO?
It could be, I never really ran in sport mode much, so I can't say if that made a difference on mine or not. Only way to tell would be to brake hard in neutral and see if the roughness is still there. If it is, it's not the trans.

RangerFropa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat

Reading your post had my hopes up that this could be the problem. Unfortunately the truck stops smoothly when braking & e-braking while in neutral.

I can feel each downshift in normal mode. When coming to a quick stop, the truck wants to leap forward as it shifts to 1st. I'll need to drive a bit more in sport mode to see if there is any difference.

Shoran12

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger STX
Occupation
Millwright
I have the Livernois tune and still experience rougher than normal downshifting on my 21. The tune isn't going to solve this particular issue.

It is definitely more pronounced in Tow/Haul mode and has nothing to do with engine braking. That part I expect. Getting jerked forward in your seat on a downshift isn't normal. Ill flash back to stock for a bit and see what happens.
Tow mode get any better with the downshifting? Last two days I tried tow mode and there is a fairly jerky downshift from 3-4. Definitely not engine breaking. Normal and sport both shift better.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tow mode get any better with the downshifting? Last two days I tried tow mode and there is a fairly jerky downshift from 3-4. Definitely not engine breaking. Normal and sport both shift better.
Nope. Tow mode seems to have firmer shifts all around. Probably increases longevity of the transmission but definitely not for comfort.

Shoran12

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger STX
Occupation
Millwright
Nope. Tow mode seems to have firmer shifts all around. Probably increases longevity of the transmission but definitely not for comfort.
Appreciate it, still figuring all the quirks as with any new vehicle.

Shoran12

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger STX
Occupation
Millwright

Yours still do this?

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yours still do this?
Well instead of going to stock I flashed the Unleashed tune with a shift pattern Torrie developed with @TORQUERULES . I honestly haven't noticed this issue since. It's quite nice actually ?
Sponsored