Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Hey All,

Might be a played out topic but figured I'd post my experiences so far. Recently purchased a used 2020 Lariat Fx4, approx. 15K miles on purchase back in December. Noticing that the shifting isn't quite as smooth as I'd expect on a new vehicle. Acceleration is pretty much perfect after remote start warm up, but still not the greatest at low speeds. My biggest peeve is when coming to a stop the ranger seems to cycle through downshifting gears roughly, leading to lurching as I'm applying the brakes. Most noticeable from 4 down to 1. Read up on the TSB for the 2019 ranger and was curious if anyone had experience with this on the 2020. Looking to get it into the dealership to reset the programming or get software updated to properly manage the shifting issues. Seems that most people have had good results with improved shifting.
Sponsored

Dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4
I have a 2021 and Im experiencing something similar. Its barely perceptible at times but you can feel it sort of kicking down through the gears when decelerating. Seems to be more prominent when things are cold.

Its not really bothersome at all, and I have less than 1000 miles on it.... but I'm gonna be keeping an eye on it and will have the service dept take a look when I bring it in for its first oil change. It honestly could just be normal I dont know.

2020FX4

First Name
El Jefe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I had similar issues....Took it in to the dealer and they had it for over a week diagnosing it. They replaced a module in the trans from what I was told. So far it's been a lot better.

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
Notice it only when hard braking in tow/haul mode when towing the boat, but it is not a rough shift. Feels more like the exhaust brake did on my F-350.

OP
OP
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Did you notice a change with the new TCM? Seems to be the most likely culprit. Coming up on 20k maintenance so I'll have it looked at. Any experience with PCM updates as well? Curious about proper software updates for shifting strategy. Wondered if it being a used truck it has some lingering bad habits from the previous owner but the deceleration shifting just feels off. Never had a vehicle so actively kick itself into lower gears causing lurching.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Hey All,

Might be a played out topic but figured I'd post my experiences so far. Recently purchased a used 2020 Lariat Fx4, approx. 15K miles on purchase back in December. Noticing that the shifting isn't quite as smooth as I'd expect on a new vehicle. Acceleration is pretty much perfect after remote start warm up, but still not the greatest at low speeds. My biggest peeve is when coming to a stop the ranger seems to cycle through downshifting gears roughly, leading to lurching as I'm applying the brakes. Most noticeable from 4 down to 1. Read up on the TSB for the 2019 ranger and was curious if anyone had experience with this on the 2020. Looking to get it into the dealership to reset the programming or get software updated to properly manage the shifting issues. Seems that most people have had good results with improved shifting.
Once you get her working correctly (software update or whatever?), purchase some tuning software from Livernois Motorsports and you will actually have much better 10 speed transmission programming. You don't have to run a hot, performance tune. You would most likely love the shift on the regular 87-89 octance, soft shift tune. If your feeling giddy....their hard shift, 91-93 octane performance tune is a hoot to drive in our Rangers.... As Always...IMHO.
BTW...you can flash back to the stock tune anytime you want....and for service.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I have a 2021 and Im experiencing something similar. Its barely perceptible at times but you can feel it sort of kicking down through the gears when decelerating. Seems to be more prominent when things are cold.

Its not really bothersome at all, and I have less than 1000 miles on it.... but I'm gonna be keeping an eye on it and will have the service dept take a look when I bring it in for its first oil change. It honestly could just be normal I dont know.
I get this too when stopping, but only on a fast stop. Slower, planned deceleration is smoother.

I've never had a Ford, so not sure how much is just the typical expectation. My mom's Escape transmission can be rough too. I'm curious what others say. I may mention this at my first oil change anyway.

Last edited:

BigHen0213

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Sales/Management
I had similar issues....Took it in to the dealer and they had it for over a week diagnosing it. They replaced a module in the trans from what I was told. So far it's been a lot better.
I've noticed downshift issues even when it's warm. I check the trans fluid levels, fluid is clean. It's been in 2x to the dealer for PM services (free oil changes for 3 years from where I bought it, every 5K with a tire rotation). They claim there's no issues. I'm creeping up to the 36K mileage cutoff so if I continue to experience it I am going to a different dealer for a fresh set of eyes. I don't want/can't afford major trans problems once it's out of warranty IF there's something legit going on.

OP
OP
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Yup definitely notice the downshifting warm or cold.

Reactions: EJH

Dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4
So is a little knocking around while downshifting common? Or are others experiencing sort of perfectly smooth shifting through all the gears when coming to a stop?

If its normal - whatever. Its really not that bad. But if its NOT normal then I'll go down the rabbit hole to get it fixed during the warranty period.

Reactions: EJH

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So is a little knocking around while downshifting common? Or are others experiencing sort of perfectly smooth shifting through all the gears when coming to a stop?

If its normal - whatever. Its really not that bad. But if its NOT normal then I'll go down the rabbit hole to get it fixed during the warranty period.
Hi J,

Take it to the dealer...not normal....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
In almost $25k, the only rough shifts I have felt was the few days after my TSB for the surging when cold. I got maybe 2 or 3 very noticeable downshifts. Then, apparently the adaptive strategy adapted to my style and it has returned to smooth as butter. There may have been a few occasions where I felt the transmission bump downshift over my almost 2 years, but never where I'd consider it not normal. I used to car pool with a person in an F-150 and he slowed at much quicker pace than I did and I could feel his truck kinda bump during down shift. Not objectionable or "harsh", but not as smooth as my Ranger.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Hi J,

Take it to the dealer...not normal....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks Phil. I'll have the dealer check it out. My family's last 3+ cars have been Subarus with CVTs that I'm not sure what is/is not normal for a transmision with real gears. Mine tranny is only harsh on the downshift when stopping fairly quickly, but it is jerky or noticable in those situations. In general, I love this truck.

RangerFropa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Downshifting when coming to a stop has been driving me crazy, too. If I wanted to experience rough downshifts, I would have kept my WRX (at least then I was able to control it). I have also noticed lag/shudder when going uphill at lower speeds (~20 mph).

I will have it looked at in the next couple weeks.

2019 Lariat 2wd 08/19 build date

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
My 2021 FX4 is at the dealer for this exact issue. They asked to keep it another day to troubleshoot. I am also experiencing the bump on stop and start (spline joint?). Acceleration is smooth. I will report back what, if anything, the dealer does. I would like this deceleration issue improved. It is the main thing keeping me from really loving this truck.

Also curious if anyone that had the rough decelleration tried a tune, and whether it helps. I ask because I noticed things seem smoother in sport mode (where the revs are presumably kept higher?)

Update: Dealer did nothing.
Sponsored

Last edited: