OP
OP
XionUAV

XionUAV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4
Used intercooler from a 2022 has arrived as well as the new radiator and AC condenser. Other parts are still on the way. Nice thing about this used one is it has the MAP sensor attached as well as mounting hardware

Talked with a local body shop yesterday and based on the pictures, they estimate between $1,000 to $2,000 to clean up and weld the frame pieces and install the new radiator support. I was figuring at least $1,500 so not unexpected. Once we get several forecasted days of decent weather, I'll start untangling metal and get the radiator support removed. Then she'll be hauled to the body shop.

20230318_132839_compress27 (2).jpg

OP
OP
XionUAV

XionUAV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4
After ordering another $1.5k or so in parts today, I happen to see a thread about problems with the Ranger. A pricey faulty EGR valve was brought up along with some other things making the Ranger sound like it was a lemon.

I suspect and hope these are isolated incidents because I'm the guy who usually drives my vehicles at least 100k miles whether they were purchased with low miles or not.

One of the reasons I purchased the 120k mile Frontier with new clutch before getting the salvage Ranger is because the Nissan's are highly-reliable and will go to 200k without much if any drama, at least for those who know how to properly operate a manual transmission, and do proper maintenance.

How have all of your experiences been so far? I'm just putting a lot of money and effort into this one and would like a little encouragement, or maybe an escape plan.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
Nissan's are highly-reliable and will go to 200k without much if any drama
mine went 93,000 miles straight to the scrap yard. that thing was a HOT mess. the last straw was the bed falling off

OP
OP
XionUAV

XionUAV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4
That's unfortunate. My Xterra ran fantastic and still looked great when I finally sold it at 235k miles. This Frontier I have looks and runs great as well at 120k miles.

Now what about your Ranger?

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
After ordering another $1.5k or so in parts today, I happen to see a thread about problems with the Ranger. A pricey faulty EGR valve was brought up along with some other things making the Ranger sound like it was a lemon.

I suspect and hope these are isolated incidents because I'm the guy who usually drives my vehicles at least 100k miles whether they were purchased with low miles or not.

One of the reasons I purchased the 120k mile Frontier with new clutch before getting the salvage Ranger is because the Nissan's are highly-reliable and will go to 200k without much if any drama, at least for those who know how to properly operate a manual transmission, and do proper maintenance.

How have all of your experiences been so far? I'm just putting a lot of money and effort into this one and would like a little encouragement, or maybe an escape plan.
if you get lucky and its one of the trucks that came with the correct amount of transmission fluid then its worth fixing. check the transmission fluid asap. if its low - wash hands of it asap.

OP
OP
XionUAV

XionUAV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4
if you get lucky and its one of the trucks that came with the correct amount of transmission fluid then its worth fixing. check the transmission fluid asap. if its low - wash hands of it asap.
That's something I haven't heard of yet.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
Now what about your Ranger?
coming up to 47,000 miles and going strong, by this point the check engine light never went off in the frontier, every seal was already leaking, the radio was stuck on 99.5- here it's a country station, I hate country. 85,000 was gas tank replacement and the3rd fuel sending unit

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
That's something I haven't heard of yet.
long story but transmission issues are slowly creeping up for a few people. typically harsh shifting, shifts slipping or lagging a few not shifting to center gears etc. a handful of tsb are out about it. most of them are fixed easily with a pcm update and others valve body replacement and pcm update. some are sorta in limbo waiting on dealers or ford to fix or admit its an issue. I think the main problem is a run of the trucks left the factory a quart or more low on transmission fluid. which is not good as the level is a %$@# to check and get too. plus ford manual says it basically never needs service until a crazy amount of miles. so by the time folks check or change the fluid the damage is done.

Dr_Strangelove

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 XLT Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Art & Design
@XionUAV -This is purely my opinion and is based on anecdotal evidence, however, I feel like a person with your skill set and abilities should be able to keep this truck on the road for 200,000 miles. The weakest point on this truck seems to be the transmission. But it doesn't seem to be a universal fault point. The same transmission has been in the F150 since 2017, the Expedition since 2018.. my point only being that machines fail and you being a mechanic; you're the last person that needs to hear this. There will be examples of any machine failing no matter how rare they are. The 10R80 is NOT rare so we will hear stories of them failing... If the 10R80 were a disaster, in my opinion, Ford would not continue to use it. They continue to use it. 'Nuff said to me.

OP
OP
XionUAV

XionUAV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4
Dr_Strangelove - Thank you. In 1997 I purchased a 1996 Explorer with about 5k miles on it. Sold it at around 175K. Put over 40k miles on it one year driving to communications sites throughout a few States. A lot of BLM, Forest Service and mountain roads. One of the best vehicles I had owned requiring very little maintenance, although the transmission did fail at 98k miles. It was pretty much a given that the transmission in the Explorers would typically fail somewhere between 100k and maybe 140k.

One of the reasons I like manual transmission vehicles is because they're simple and clutch replacement is about a third to a quarter the cost of replacing an auto. I've sold a few manual vehicles at 250k to 330k. But as I get older I'm finding it's sometimes nice to not deal with shifting. It's just that anyone who drives an auto and plans to keep it over 100k miles should also put about $4,000 to $5,000 away to replace the transmission at some point. Or join one of those warranty services.

This new Ranger probably won't see more than 6k miles a year so if it lasts 10 years then it will have been a good investment. Hoping it will last much longer than that, however.

The new Roush wheels arrived today. They're gorgeous.

20230321_124625_compress52.jpg

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Very good to know. Thank you for the explanation.
this will not be a popular comment and i really do not mean to start issues... however, do not expect the same durability and quality you had with jap brand trucks in a ford. it simply is not present. im not a hater or fan boy. never even owned a Nissan. but I can tell you i will most likely never ever buy a ford again unless its a used play toy i intended to thrash and have fun with. ford dealers, service, and warranty is pretty much as bad as it gets. to others reading i dont need your story of how whatever ford ran 6 million miles with no issues and got 45 mpg etc... save it.
i have one of those ford success stories in the driveway. its a couple decades old covered in hail dents and looks kinda rough. its also never needed any repair other than basic maintenance and consumable items. its paid for. its also a way better quality ranger than the 5g and id bet the 6g as well. now, all that aside. the 5g is a nice truck and can be a lot of fun. but have realistic expectations in terms of lasting like your other truck has.

OP
OP
XionUAV

XionUAV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4
Years ago I adopted the phrase, "Wishful thinking never trumps reality." A major part of the longevity issue is about abuse and maintenance. Granted there is no doubt that certain brands or models are better built, or better engineered than others, but I think the biggest part in how long a vehicle lasts is directly proportional to the amount of care and maintenance it receives.

What a person wants to believe or not is immaterial to reality, and the reality is that on average, a Ford Ranger isn't built as well as a Toyota Tacoma, and personally I think the Tacoma is at least slightly better built than a Nissan Frontier. The funny thing is, what might last the longest isn't always the most fun to drive or own, and that has to count for something.

Before buying the Frontier, I test drove a similarly-priced crew cab Tacoma. It didn't feel right to me. Love the look but just wasn't my style. Just like on the car side I've driven BMW's, Mercedes, Volvo and a bunch of others and stayed with Audi/VW because they feel right - they're my style.

The Chevy Colorado is a nice midsize competitor to the Ranger that I think looks great and from what I've read, has better reviews than the Ranger in many areas. But I'm not a Chevy guy for no other reason than they just aren't my style. Ford is.

I bought the Ranger mainly because I think it looks great and of course being a salvage title, was substantially discounted. Part of making it fun and reliable will be the care and maintenance that's put into it, not to mention a few minor mods. This one will be well-cared for at least for as long as I own it so hopefully it will reciprocate by being reliable for long enough.

Last edited:

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
Ok so you have a superduty, SUV, and a wrecked ranger. You mentioned dirt trails so fiberglass and long travel!??? It can be a toy with enough room in the bed for a bike! You can make an engine cage with bump stops and shock mounts and run 2 long shocks and a hydraulic bump stop on each corner! Come on the battery can go to the bed and reroute the air filter to mount the bump stops and engine brace under the hood. Cut the frame horns at an angle and weld up a tube bumper that clear the ac condenser. Get some deavers, shackles, and superduty shocks and you're good to go!
Sponsored