2019 Ranger prone to fuel making its.way into oil?

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Hi John,

The percentage of Rangers with problems such as indicated is very small, but I cannot say what that percentage is. There were a batch of faulty injectors and a few high pressure pump replacements under warranty. Please research the threads on this topic.

I am of the "biased" opinion that the Ranger is a competitive offering in today's market and hope you can test drive some Rangers to help you make your decision.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Add me to the small percentage just took a 1500 mile sample..smells like strong fuel, 1st time 2.8 on the fuel at 3000 miles. So we shall see, I marked it for change at 2000 on the next one.
Regards
Sponsored

KJ Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4WD
Yep. 1st oil change (1,500 miles), smelled like straight gasoline.

Couple hundred miles later, dipstick looks good, but fuel smell remains ?

• 2020 XLT 4WD
• June '20 Build
• Michigan

*EDIT: Nope. The dipstick is WELL past the "twist" ??

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
NC National Guard
I've not seen a model of any car that hasn't had some issues. As long as the manufacturer makes it right then I'm happy. The only thing I dislike about my ranger is that I love to spend all my money on it and drive it way too much. 15000 miles since Feb. Oh and I hate that it's a rock magnet, but so was my grey Altima I had. Probably should have chose a different color, but I live my truck, and very happy to be back in a ranger.

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Add me to the small percentage just took a 1500 mile sample..smells like strong fuel, 1st time 2.8 on the fuel at 3000 miles. So we shall see, I marked it for change at 2000 on the next one.
Regards
If people are worried about 2.8%, I should be very worried. I had 2 samples taken by the dealership, one at about 480 miles after they first changed the oil when I took it in for the issue originally, and that one came back at 12%, the 2nd sample they took at 1700 miles after they changed the injectors the first time (also changed HPFP) and that one came back at 13% fuel contamination. I just got the truck back from the dealership and they have replaced all the injectors a second time. They used US Lube for the sample tests. I will post up copies of the test later when I update over on the other thread.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
If people are worried about 2.8%, I should be very worried. I had 2 samples taken by the dealership, one at about 480 miles after they first changed the oil when I took it in for the issue originally, and that one came back at 12%, the 2nd sample they took at 1700 miles after they changed the injectors the first time (also changed HPFP) and that one came back at 13% fuel contamination. I just got the truck back from the dealership and they have replaced all the injectors a second time. They used US Lube for the sample tests. I will post up copies of the test later when I update over on the other thread.
And Thank you !

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Few people with a problem on a forum does NOT mean its a widespread fatal flaw that is spreading rampant through the entire ranger lineup.

JKocot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4, 2018 Explorer Sport
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer/Former Marine
I agree.but.another concern is

Well after doing a lot of research I do know the EcoBoost engines have also issues with carbon buildup on the intake valves that require Careful Cleaning also heard in some cases the valve train has to be removed to do that I'm probably going to pass on the Ranger not a big fan of Heist trust turbocharged engine and I'm going to probably get the Tacoma normally ask for a 2.7 L 4-cylinder even though it's underpowered I know those engines last forever

I had a 2014 F-F150, with the Gen 1 3.5 Ecoboost that had 106,000 miles on it when I traded and had ZERO problems with that engine. The 2017 F-150 I traded it on had the 2.7 Gen 1 Ecoboost. It had over 88,000 miles on it when I traded it on my current Ranger. Again I had ZERO problems with that engine. We have had other vehicles with ecoboost engines (2013 Escape and current 2018 Explorer Sport - again zero problems with their engines.)

I have had issues with with Ford vehicles in the past, but never with the engines. Ford has sold millions of Ecoboost engines since they were introduced in 2011, most of which don't have the port injection in addition to the direct injection (That started in 2017/2018). There are plenty of people on the F150 forums who have close to an over 200,000 miles on their ecoboost engines and have had no problems. As others have mentioned before, these forums tend to bring people who are having issues as opposed to those who don't. I think you need to take a Ranger out. It's a great driving vehicle.

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4 the black beast
yup...just take one out for a spin, that is all it took for me to go "tacoma who?"...six speed manual and all...

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
so you get a 4banger tacoma to run it 400k miles. my problem with doing that is those 400k miles are terrible driving.(i know i had one) they are very slow, feel very utility. but do get the job done point A to B. and the gas mileage SUCKS!!!!!! but enjoy your new truck .just remember it is what it is.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I agree.but.another concern is

Well after doing a lot of research I do know the EcoBoost engines have also issues with carbon buildup on the intake valves that require Careful Cleaning also heard in some cases the valve train has to be removed to do that I'm probably going to pass on the Ranger not a big fan of Heist trust turbocharged engine and I'm going to probably get the Tacoma normally ask for a 2.7 L 4-cylinder even though it's underpowered I know those engines last forever
There are always tradeoffs, so maybe this is the right decision for you. GDI engines will usually accumulate some amount of carbon deposits on the intake valves, and there's no sense in denying that; however, it's a complex issue. The degree depends a lot on how the vehicle is driven, and some engines (particularly earlier model ones) have more issues than others.

I don't intend this to turn into another catch can debate, there are already plenty of those to read if you're interested, but yes, you can install a catch can. If you don't want to, however, depending on how you drive, you may still never have a problem, and even if you do start having symptoms, it will usually be close to 100,000 miles, and it's normally not necessary to remove the heads or rebuild the valve train. The standard maintenance for this problem is a walnut-shell blasting, which is around a $300-500 procedure that you might need at most every 100,000 miles. I think the head replacement concern has spread because that's what Ford dealers are required to do in the very rare case that the problem occurs during warranty. For whatever reason, possibly lack of the proper equipment and training, dealers are not allowed to do walnut-shell blasting from what I've read.

hughesjv

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
There is a thread on this forum where a user states or indicates a widespread problem with gas leaking into crankcase diluting the oil is this true do any of you have this issue it's the one issue that has caused me to do pass on this truck
I have never heard of this issue nor seen it on this forum...like the other post said I am sure a Ranger with an issue could cause such a problem but mine seems perfect. and with 26.3 MPH, I suspect my gas is not leaking into the oil.

IMG_20200826_065234.jpg

Kemo Sabe

First Name
Kemo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I detest the Ranger useless, fold down back seat and storage. Backseat won’t lie flat, in down position. In the upright position, minuscule storage available under the backseat.

i have not changed my own oil yet; FordPass points still available. But, happy to hear changes will go easy. Only intimidating factor to me is removing the flap behind the front tire to expose the oil filter. Far as I understand, I just unscrew the plastic, black screws, unpop the plastic plugs, remove The plug, and access the filter. Sounds easy. We’ll see.

BUT, I love all other aspects of the truck, particularly the super gas mileage.(24.5 city-28.6 city)

with all that being said, I love the Ranger truck, and I’ve never been anything but a #3, Bow tie guy from 1955-The later year fellows. That was when drivers were brand loyal!!!
Enjoy your truck, as I plan to for “my duration!”

Abjectwoe

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Only intimidating factor to me is removing the flap behind the front tire to expose the oil filter. Far as I understand, I just unscrew the plastic, black screws, unpop the plastic plugs, remove The plug, and access the filter. Sounds easy. We’ll see.
It's extremely easy. Don't worry about it.

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
Hi Jim,

No pension check....took a buyout many years ago on advice of my financial advisor. Got the money working for me in investments and do not have to worry if Ford tanks in the future.
Mr. Phil,
I did the same thing when I saw the writing on the wall at Eastern Air Lines, and we know what happened there!
Sponsored