2019 Ranger prone to fuel making its.way into oil?

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4 the black beast
I agree.but.another concern is

Well after doing a lot of research I do know the EcoBoost engines have also issues with carbon buildup on the intake valves that require Careful Cleaning also heard in some cases the valve train has to be removed to do that I'm probably going to pass on the Ranger not a big fan of Heist trust turbocharged engine and I'm going to probably get the Tacoma normally ask for a 2.7 L 4-cylinder even though it's underpowered I know those engines last forever
I would suggest you test drive a Ranger, then test drive a Tacoma, then make a more educated decision, if you have not already.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I would suggest you test drive a Ranger, then test drive a Tacoma, then make a more educated decision, if you have not already.
I would second this suggestion. I test drove a Tacoma and I REALLY wanted to like it but it honestly was a terrible test drive. The EcoBoost engines have a very good track record and have been around for about 10 years and have proven themselves to be reliable over the long term. These aren't the turbo engines from 20 years ago.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

quirkybar8

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2WD XLT
Hi John,

The percentage of Rangers with problems such as indicated is very small, but I cannot say what that percentage is. There were a batch of faulty injectors and a few high pressure pump replacements under warranty. Please research the threads on this topic.

I am of the "biased" opinion that the Ranger is a competitive offering in today's market and hope you can test drive some Rangers to help you make your decision.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I wonder if it's just a batch, Phil. I ran across a thread from May about those that were getting MIL's. Mine was built in September and I'm waiting on a #4 replacement. Of course that assumes that the tech has properly diagnosed my problem this time. I was told the HPFP was the source some 1,500 miles ago. In their defense, it does seem to be intermittent. I had checked the level after getting it back, then again 400 miles later, with no discernible change. Needless to say I was really disappointed another 1,100 miles later when I finally checked again. It was back to the halfway point between the max hole and twist. My engine seems to like that much 'oil'.

OP, it is a small number of us with the problem. Part of the reason the thread is 50 pages is that armchair apologists and pundits keep weighing in. "Must be your oil" or "Must be the gas you buy" horseshit can go on and on. And on.

And if like most people you never check the oil, well, the problem won't exist for you. My guess is that there are at least as many out there who are in that category as those of us who know we are experiencing high fuel dilution. And as Joe said, it's a potential problem with any manufacturer. Even Honda.

They are nice trucks. Best in class, I'd argue. But not without faults, like any vehicle.

quirkybar8

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2WD XLT
Well after doing a lot of research I do know the EcoBoost engines have also issues with carbon buildup on the intake valves that require Careful Cleaning also heard in some cases the valve train has to be removed to do that I'm probably going to pass on the Ranger not a big fan of Heist trust turbocharged engine and I'm going to probably get the Tacoma normally ask for a 2.7 L 4-cylinder even though it's underpowered I know those engines last forever
If you're comfortable with Toyota and not with Ford, that's probably your best bet. Have you confirmed that Toyota has finally better addressed frame failures though? I had an '03 Tundra (bought new) before my Ranger, so not just blowing anti-Toyota smoke up your ass. Seeing that 2nd gen Tundras were still having both frame and bed rust problems was a really disappointing reality that Toyota still does some things badly.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
My 17 Taco has the frame rust issues also,so they havent addressed that yet. Ill take the tempo fuel in oil situation over a bent rotten frame in a few years! Look at u tube videos where people take truck in for oil change and when on lift the truck folds in half.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient

I understand the 'carbon buildup' is going to be common on direct injection engines because of the pollution control system, perhaps like the 'oil dilution' issue OP came in with. So, not going to be unique to the Ranger.

That's why many GDI owners buy and install oil catch cans.

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
My next oil change (my 2nd one - not driving much thanks to Covid) I'm going to pull a sample and send it to Blackstone Labs. Everyone should do that. Not right away though, a couple oil changes in when things settle down.

If you have gas in your oil it will show up in the report, and then that report is the ammunition needed to get Ford to repair leaky injectors or a high pressure fuel pump.

I wouldn't mind getting a thread started on the forum where people only post Blackstone Labs results. No chitter chatter, link to that in a different thread if you want to discuss. So maybe 2 threads - Blackstone labs results only, and Blackstone labs discussion. Who's up for that? The more people that post results, the more we see how widespread a problem really is - and what averages really are. I think I've seen maybe 5 results so far.

I've used Blackstone all the time, but only on racebike engines to see when they are getting tired.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO

Truthfully I have friends that the Ecoboost engine with well over a 100K miles, and they've never cleaned the valves. However, you should get what makes you comfortable, and happy. I have always drove Ford trucks, but I even did my due diligence on the other brand mid sized trucks out there before I made my choice. Good luck on your search.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Hi Jim,

No pension check....took a buyout many years ago on advice of my financial advisor. Got the money working for me in investments and do not have to worry if Ford tanks in the future.
@P. A. Schilke , Very smart man you are. I wish I could have done that myself.

On a side note. My Dad told me that I could drive any make car I wanted, and added to that, but "Son, you need to drive a Ford truck." He was the smartest man I've ever known, so I have followed his advice ever since I bought my first truck around 1990, a '79 F-250 with like a millions miles on it. :)

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
Zero issues with mine and Iā€™m about to do my fourth oil change. I love this damn truck and drive it like I stole it every day. It takes all of it with a smile.

Brisko_Michigan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
USG
Vehicle Showcase
Have the fuel/oil issue (and the related if anecdotal Cleveland plant October ā€˜19 engine build). Second dealership appointment next week. It will be fixed in time, early enough to avoid significant issues, and under warranty. Catch can will follow.

Every vehicle has some issue. This is a small one if addressed and isnā€™t systemic across the platform. As many note, check Web MD often enough and youā€™ll start feeling sick...

Iā€™ve owned the Hilux and the classic LC. Loved both, and planned on buying a Tacoma When we returned to the U.S. last year.

Then I drove the Ranger. Much more comfortable, more fun to drive, better bang for buck, and technologically superior. For our family it worked.

Tacos rightfully have a special place in mid-size truck ranks, but being the only true standout in the U.S market for several years has also inflated the reputation (big fish, small pond). Search antipodean ute markets and the T6 Ranger is a stalwart, outpacing Holdens and Hiluxes in desirability.

Weā€™ve been happy with our choice, and understand why some go other directions. If iā€™ve a complaint itā€™s the jealousy I feel over the volume and price of Taco and Jeep after market product options.

Anyway. Preaching to the choir, butā€™s itā€™s always fun to be reminded of what we have.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
Hi, mine rides great too...
In reality forums are places, generally, to vent and discuss problems. So, expect To find high porportion of issues. Itā€™s the nature of their existence.
This so much. Everyone who has an issue is very quick to talk about it, but it's very rare for people to talk about problems they don't have.

On another note, I've been a toyota guy my whole life. I can't even count how many I've owned, and I still have one in my garage.
I can't deny they make a great vehicle, but now I genuinely feel like they're reputation is better than their product. They have plenty of issues as well, but often they get overlooked because they have so many loyalists constantly screaming "reliability".

I also have several friends with newer tacomas that told me I was making a mistake for buying the ranger instead of a tacoma, and now one of them just put a deposit on a new bronco (with the 2.3 and 10 spd) after driving my ranger.

To the OP, if you can handle the slowness of the 4 cyl tacoma, and plan on putting 300k miles on the thing, I certainly don't blame you for going that route, but I wouldn't let a handful of reported issues in early production rangers, amongst thousands of other properly functioning vehicles who's owners have remained silent, be the deciding factor in you straying from the ranger.

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
So you signed up for a Ranger forum just to post a thread that you passed on buying one?

Thanks, I guess....

Nobody ever has problems with their Tacoma. Good call.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Hi Jim,

No pension check....took a buyout many years ago on advice of my financial advisor. Got the money working for me in investments and do not have to worry if Ford tanks in the future.
Very smart wife, Phil !

Keep her !
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc