Vehicle Showcase

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
WFYI.org: 2019 Ford Ranger Is Better Than Its Reviews

I recently read a review of mid-size pickups in one of the auto magazines where the editors ranked the 2019 Ford Ranger at the bottom of the list against competitors like the Jeep Renegade, Chevy Colorado, and Honda Ridgeline. I thought, “If it is that bad, I need to drive one.” Let’s be clear: It’s not that bad. In fact, it’s pretty good – except for a couple of little details.

Handsome Rugged Looks
Sitting by the curb, the Ranger looks handsome – especially with its four-door SuperCrew body, Sport trim, FX4 off-road package, and blue paint. It’s especially fetching with its 17-inch Magnetic-painted aluminum wheels, carbon mesh black grille, exposed tow hooks, and spray in bedliner. It presents as a large truck…until you get next to it and realize it is much more city friendly than its larger brother. More rounded panels give the truck a European look ala the Escape and EcoSport crossovers.

Sliding inside passengers will notice wide swaths of plastic on the dash and doors, but silver inserts on the dash and padded parts on the doors keeps eyes and hands away from most of the hard stuff. Our truck skipped heated leather seats (though, the cloth ones with rotating headrests were very supportive), sunroof, and premium B&O audio, but did luxe up with a leather-wrapped steering wheel, navigation, and adaptive cruise. Further safety gear included blind spot warning, lane keep assist, forward collision warning with auto brake, and rear cross traffic alert systems. Seat monitors alert drivers to children in the rear.

Peppy Turbo Power
If you’re used to driving Ford Raptors with twin-turbo V6 engines, the Ranger may seem a little underpowered, but for the rest of us, it’s plenty peppy. Rangers come with a turbocharged 2.3-liter four-cylinder engine that delivers 270 horsepower and 310 lb.-ft. of torque – all routed through a 10-speed automatic transmission. Four-wheel-drive is optional. Throw in auto stop/start and fuel economy is rated 21/26-MPG city/highway with all wheels powered.

One of the biggest gripes I read concerned the Ranger’s soft ride and handling. Well, it’s not a sports car – never promised to be one. It’s a capable off-roach machine, which means fat tires and monotube shocks to absorb rough trails. It’s with purpose. Beyond that, the FX4 Off-Road Package comes with an electronic-locking rear differential, heavy-duty front skid plate, and additional plates for the power steering motor, transfer case, and fuel tank. The terrain management system configures the powertrain for conditions like rocks, mud, snow, and pavement. What’s one driver’s “sloppy handling” is another’s “comfortable ride”. I embrace the latter.

One thing is for sure about the Ranger: You buy it for convenience, not for a big price discount over the F-150. Base price is $24,300, but clicking boxes for the SuperCrew cab and four-wheel drive immediately raised the sticker by over $6,000. Even without a loaded interior, our truck’s roll-out price came to a hefty $40,600. Even if some journalists don’t like the Ranger, Ford is certainly proud of it…and with good reason. Competitors include the Chevy Colorado, Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier, GMC Canyon, and Honda Ridgeline.

Storm Forward!

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I just happen to be looking at reviews on edmonds.com, and I had to laugh at this guy's review.

https://www.edmunds.com/ford/ranger/2019/consumer-reviews/?pagesize=50&sorting=created:desc

I'm 6'1 230, and there's plenty of room in the extended cab for me.

Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 3.37.21 PM.png
Maybe he confused this review with a Tacoma review.... :) Those are commonly heard complaint about the Tacoma. Seems like I've heard pretty consistent good reviews on the seats in the Ranger as well as having good room.

It is always interesting to see what people think about different vehicles.

DBaz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Maybe he confused this review with a Tacoma review.... :) Those are commonly heard complaint about the Tacoma. Seems like I've heard pretty consistent good reviews on the seats in the Ranger as well as having good room.

I'm thinkin maybe he took a pit stop at the dispensary.

Hard seats on the Lariat...no head or leg room? What?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

Having just come from a Tacoma this is definitely a head scratcher. The Rangers seats are way more comfy! I bet he's a member from the Tacoma World site.:LOL:

They're constantly bashing the Ranger over there and seem to think their trucks are flawless. I ventured over there the other day and the newest problem was a few Tacoma's have been bursting into flames. Thank God no one was injured but no way you'd catch me getting into one of those flaming Tacos until they find out whats wrong with them!

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/well-so-my-truck-burned-down.628946/

4 years later and they're still trying to justify the transmission.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/new-tacoma-crap-transmission-sorry-dealer-shoot-me-now.628892/

dceggert

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302a, Trailer Tow, Technology Package, FX4 in black and a 2017 Fusion Platinum also in black
Occupation
You would not believe it if I told you
Edmunds is notoriously anti-Ford anything. So is Consumer Reports and the KBB writers. Ford probably doesn't supply bon-bons with the test vehicles or let them keep them very long or something.

Last night I watched two vids on YT where the first guy explained that the front bash plate was cheap plastic and Ford doesn't have a clue what an off-road package is so don't buy one, and then I watched another that claimed the driveshaft is so wimpy it will not last, it drives horrible, is uncomfortable, and cheap junk with the final proclamation that the Tacoma is better.

The most impressive stuff by far is The Fast Lane Truck vids with a series comparing the Ranger to the Tacoma, Colorado, Wrangler, Gladiator, F150, etc. Their off-road escapades are funny and their vids, especially comparing to the Jeeps, really sold me on the off-road prowess of the Ranger.

Not reviews really, more like a channel to broadcast personal opinion and bias.

Last edited:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Edmunds is notoriously anti-Ford anything. So is Consumer Reports and the KBB writers. Ford probably doesn't supply bon-bons with the test vehicles or let them keep them very long or something.

Last night I watched two vids on YT where the first guy explained that the front bash plate was cheap plastic and Ford doesn't have a clue what an off-road package is so don't buy one, and then I watched another that claimed the driveshaft is so wimpy it will not last, it drives horrible, is uncomfortable, and cheap junk with the final proclamation that the Tacoma is better.

The most impressive stuff by far is The Fast Lane Truck vids with a series comparing the Ranger to the Tacoma, Colorado, Wrangler, Gladiator, F150, etc. Their off-road escapades are funny and their vids, especially comparing to the Jeeps, really sold me on the off-road prowess of the Ranger.

I can say that the upper portion of what looks to be the bask plate (it isn't, but whatever) IS super cheapo plastic. I've got multiple spots with no paint on them already (16000 miles in), and I haven't taken it on a trail yet. I've been "off road" in a grassy field, but nothing would touch the bumper. To the average automotive journalist, that piece IS the bash plate...

Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 LB Super Crew, 2012 GT500, 2015 VW GSW TDI
Vehicle Showcase

Had to comment and agree on TF channels and reviews. They are generally my favorite and give some cool ways to compare things without trashing any thing. Like towing tests and even the snow tire test they did.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Gear Patrol: The Trials and Triumphs of Overlanding Across America in the Ford Ranger FX4

Family-Overlanding-in-Ford-Ranger-FX4-gear-patrol-lead-full-v2.jpg

Going on an overland adventure across the United States is easier than most people think. Stock four-wheel-drive vehicles are more capable than ever; GPS tracks and maps are available online; automotive roof tents make the nights more comfortable than ever. It makes it so easy, you might even think about taking your whole family along as you attempt a 3,500-mile trip along the Continental Divide from Mexico to Canada would not only check it off your bucket list. Which is exactly what photographer Olivier de Vaulx did.

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
Autoblog Long-Term update:
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/09/24/2019-ford-ranger-long-term-update-engine/

"Even with my transmission gripes, the power and soundtrack make this my favorite compact truck powertrain on the market right now. And it's good enough that I think it would make a great base for a fast Ranger, too; either a U.S.-spec Raptor or my dream of a Ranger ST street truck. The fact that the engine is based on the turbo engine in the Mustang certainly opens it up to more power and easy modding. In the meantime, I'll just enjoy the stock engine of our long-termer."

dceggert

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302a, Trailer Tow, Technology Package, FX4 in black and a 2017 Fusion Platinum also in black
Occupation
You would not believe it if I told you
I found this one today. Actually, YouTube pushed it based on my search history. Tacoma vs. Colorado vs. Gladiator vs. Ranger. Spoiler alert...they finish in that order!

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X2, 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Financial Auditor - Retired
Caught this review of mid sized trucks this weekend. I typically like Motorweek, but have to wonder about their ranking, picking the Ridgeline over the Ranger. “The Ranger really raised the bar when it came to capability for a midsize truck when it returned last year, but it definitely has the most truck-like ride and comfort is not as good as most of the others here.” o_O

It is interesting that neither Toyota or Nissan were included, "The obvious glaring omission here is the best selling Toyota Tacoma, with Toyota choosing not to be a part of this comparison. The Nissan Frontier is also available, but hasn’t been significantly updated since George W. Bush was in office, and we felt would not be competitive with these newer designs."

https://www.motorweek.org/reviews/comparison_tests/midsize-trucks

oggvorbis

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Not really much of a review or comparison video but more like taking these two trucks around a dirt short track pretty fast and hitting some jumps!

Last edited:

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Caught this review of mid sized trucks this weekend. I typically like Motorweek, but have to wonder about their ranking, picking the Ridgeline over the Ranger. “The Ranger really raised the bar when it came to capability for a midsize truck when it returned last year, but it definitely has the most truck-like ride and comfort is not as good as most of the others here.” o_O

It is interesting that neither Toyota or Nissan were included, "The obvious glaring omission here is the best selling Toyota Tacoma, with Toyota choosing not to be a part of this comparison. The Nissan Frontier is also available, but hasn’t been significantly updated since George W. Bush was in office, and we felt would not be competitive with these newer designs."

https://www.motorweek.org/reviews/comparison_tests/midsize-trucks
When John uttered that line about Toyota declining to participate and the Frontier basically being archaic, I literally laughed out loud. I was wondering from the beginning of the segment why the Tacoma wasn't there but basically had no reservations about why the Frontier wasn't included. I'm guessing Toyota knows they would've been smoked or at least assumed they would. Good on Motorweek to include that they themselves opted out. :giggle:

As far the Ridgeline being first, I'm convinced that people that buy Ridgelines are honestly car people that want a bigger trunk. It rides like a car and drives like a FWD sedan. There's nothing wrong with that, per say. But it's not a body-on-frame truck like the other three in the comparison are. It also can't tow anywhere near what the Ranger can which, oddly enough, they didn't talk about that at all. Not one mention of towing capacity...only the differences in acceleration with 1,000 pounds of cargo in the bed. o_O
Sponsored