Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I would think that a "learn" period might change the output of different octane.
Sponsored

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
"Although higher octane can cost substantially more per gallon, it does not necessarily mean it is better for your car. Higher octane gas is processed through additional steps that further refine the blend and cause it to burn more slowly than lower octanes. These additional processes are what contribute to the higher pricing, but that does not mean the higher octane will offer any advantage over other blends in many engines. Octane does not offer any better fuel mileage, increase engine horsepower, or make the engine start quicker. Higher octane only reduces the likelihood of engine knock or ping.

On modern computer-controlled cars with fuel injection, the computer is constantly monitoring fuel trim and detonation and making appropriate adjustments in the timing and fuel air mixture to compensate for engine knock. Most of these late-model engines have a sonic knock sensor installed in the cylinder block for just this reason."
Ehhhh not quite. High octane won’t make a difference only if the car is not programmed to make a difference. Ford’s control software increases boost at higher octanes. It’s part of their LSPI load limit logic.

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
lets talk aromatics then??

The above power gains claims still hold untrue, this video didn't show one bit of factual truth at all. If there's any gain whatsoever, its negligible. otherwise one would think that Ford would release the torque and HP specs for the higher octane fuel to really trump the competition. Or maybe they did, they apparently lied about of MPG ratings. :crazy: I'm waiting for my $100 dollars in class action winnings to come in the mail.
Ford only rates their performance line vehicles on 91-93 (RS, Shelby, GT, etc.) They're making the point that the Ranger works fine on regular gas like every other red blooded pickup out there, so it's rated on 87.

But, the octane-based load limits are active in every EcoBoost. Gains vary depending on how the particular vehicle was calibrated. If someone took the time to hook up a logger and record the octane modifier parameter, as well as load/MAP on a WOP acceleration, it'd show in the data.

I agree this particular 0-60 without any real data isn't worth much.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
one would think that Ford would release the torque and HP specs for the higher octane fuel to really trump the competition
No, they wouldn't, because then they'd need to tick the "premium fuel required" box on the fuel economy report, which immediately turns off a lot of consumers not looking for a sports car. The truck runs fine on regular, but loses peak power when it heats up under boost compared to what's possible with higher octane fuel. Right in the manual it says you can use 91 if you want more power. For most people this is only relevant if they're towing or hauling a heavy load in the mountains.

Or maybe they did, they apparently lied about of MPG ratings.
That is a good summary of some really badly written articles and a lot of BS on the internet. What actually happened is that ford notified EPA and CARB that they were investigating possible issues in the fuel economy and emissions certifications of several vehicles. There are no details about whether there actually were issues, or, if there were issues, what the impact was (was it fuel economy rating, emmisions, both, neither? nobody knows, and if someone claims they do, they're lying).

Kev7

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Are you saying you gain HP by simply going to 93 octane fuel? Are your HP gains based on a dyno pull? I didn’t think these engines would make adjustments based on Octane like some of the Mustang power plants. If you gain HP you will gain torque. Also, the dyno runs I have seen on tuned Rangers (5 Star) indicates a fairly modest increase in power going from 87 to 93 octane. So modest that I don’t think it is worth the extra cost of fuel.
The Manuel recommends using high octane fuel when towing so there must be some performance gains by using high teat fuels.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"The Manuel recommends using high octane fuel when towing so there must be some performance gains by using high teat fuels."

...or....more than likely reducing the knocking that is sure to happen because of towing.
The engine already avoids the knocking. The mechanism it uses to do that reduces the power available...

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

Just a word of caution on 0 to 60 times. At Ford, we optimize kickoff Rpm, which may be below stall on an auto trans. It may take several attempts to get best results.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Company, Retired

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
No, they wouldn't, because then they'd need to tick the "premium fuel required" box on the fuel economy report, which immediately turns off a lot of consumers not looking for a sports car. The truck runs fine on regular, but loses peak power when it heats up under boost compared to what's possible with higher octane fuel. Right in the manual it says you can use 91 if you want more power. For most people this is only relevant if they're towing or hauling a heavy load in the mountains.

That is a good summary of some really badly written articles and a lot of BS on the internet. What actually happened is that ford notified EPA and CARB that they were investigating possible issues in the fuel economy and emissions certifications of several vehicles. There are no details about whether there actually were issues, or, if there were issues, what the impact was (was it fuel economy rating, emmisions, both, neither? nobody knows, and if someone claims they do, they're lying).
Oh no, people lie on the internet? And, I thought that they were just sadly mistaken.

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
Okay. Ford's software works like this.

You put 87 octane in. The knock sensors detect knock and learn the fact that you're running 87 octane. It then sets the base spark and boost maps accordingly, so you run safe power without knocking.

You then put 93 octane in. The knock sensors realize that spark can now be advanced, and learn that you're running 93 octane. It then sets the base spark and boost maps for 93 octane, giving you extra power without knocking or pre-ignition.

JoedOH

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
so does anyone have any numbers yet? true data ?
anything to prove anything? or will this just be an internet sensation where everyone tries to blow bigger smoke up someone elses ass?

No numbers with proven data, or I wont buy what anyone is selling.
Rightfully so, don't buy into anything without data to back up a claim. What I'd like to see is some data not a video of the tach and speedometer.

My thoughts are there will not be much difference at all between 87 and 93 octane.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rightfully so, don't buy into anything without data to back up a claim. What I'd like to see is some data not a video of the tach and speedometer.

My thoughts are there will not be much difference at all between 87 and 93 octane.
This is all a rerun. See https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...gas-87-octane-and-premium-gas-92-octane.1208/ from October with dyno data from a mustang. The specific numbers will be different for a ranger but the physics don't change and the basic point will remain. The difference isn't huge, and doesn't really show up at all until the engine is running hard. Under those conditions the engine eventually needs to change the timing and run rich, and a higher octane fuel puts that off a bit.

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
Great Forum, interesting thread....I can't find much 93 around here anyway, mostly 91 :)
Sponsored