2019 2WD Rear Differential Fluid Change Write-Up (~47K Miles)

Trash Panda

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Greetings all,

Thought I would do a write-up on a simple, yet important maintenance task on your Ranger. (This guide is geared towards those of us who have never performed this procedure)
The Ford Scheduled Maintenance is "Every 150,000 mi (240,000 km) Change the rear axle fluid."
The rear axle fluid capacity specifications are 3.70pt (1.75L) or (1.85 quarts) for a standard axle ; 3.04pt (1.44L) or (1.52 quarts) for a locking axle.

Supplies Needed :
-1x 6C2Z-4N282-AA (magnetic DRAIN plug) ($2.16 on Fordparts.com)
-1x E8UZ-4N282-A (FILL plug) ($6.41 on Fordparts.com and comes in a 3 pack)
-2x Quart Easy-Pack or bottles of SAE 80W-90 or SAE 75W-90 Gear Oil of your favorite brand (FORD OEM is XY-80W90-QL)
-Fluid drain pan that can hold at least 2L or 2 quarts of fluid
-3/8" Ratchet and extension or 1/2" Ratchet with 1/2"-3/8" adapter
-Torque Wrench set to 20-21 ft/lbs (27.12-28.47Nm) or you can just Ugga Dugga it.. :p
-Old microfiber towels or shop towels

Optional :
-Large cardboard box for extra spill protection

-Nitrile gloves (can't forget about PPE)
-Brake cleaner and rag to clean around the drain/fill plugs

Step One :

-Park on a relatively level surface.
-Locate and clean around your Fill/Drain plugs (if equipped)...Some model years do not have two plugs unfortunately. :frown:
The FILL plug is located on the rear differential cover facing the rear of the vehicle. The DRAIN plug is located on the bottom left front of the differential.

IMG_8833.jpeg

IMG_8834.jpeg

Step Two :

-Place your fluid catch pan underneath the differential.
-Use your ratchet and extension/adapter to break loose the FILL plug first. Since the torque spec is only around 20 ft/lbs. it is easy.
-With the plug removed you can stick your finger or a light to inspect the current fluid level and get an idea of the color of your fluid.
I noticed mine was ever so slightly low from the factory and was pleasantly surprised when I wiped my finger on my rag it was not tar black.

IMG_8837.jpeg

Step Three :

-Use your ratchet and extension/adapter to break loose the DRAIN plug. Since the torque spec is only around 20 ft/lbs. it is easy. I let mine drain about 5 minutes or so until the old fluid was barely trickling out.
-Now you can inspect the drain plug for any gunk (likely will have a metallic goo attached to it) or metal shavings.

IMG_8842.jpeg

IMG_8840.jpeg

IMG_8841.jpeg

Step 4 :

-Hand thread your DRAIN plug until it is hand-tight and you can finish the job with your torque wrench set to 20-21 ft/lbs. (specification is 20 but margin of error if you hit 21 I do not forsee an issue).
-Go around to your unplugged FILL hole and use your Easy-Pack or quart bottles of SAE 80W-90 or 75W-90 Gear Oil to fill until it starts running out of the FILL hole.
-Once you see it running out, hand thread your FILL plug until it is hand-tight and you can finish the job with your torque wrench set to 20-21 ft/lbs.

IMG_8843.jpeg

That's it, drive around and make sure you do not observe any leaks! The job would have taken me around 15-20 minutes max if I had not been taking images.

My gear oil did not look terrible at 47,000 miles, so I think I will make my interval every 50,000 miles. I personally would not recommend following Ford's schedule of 125,000 miles.

IMG_8844.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I'm actually planning on doing this my next oil change (20k miles) which will put me at close to 4 years of owning my truck.

Probably not needed, but oh well. I figure I will just treat all my fluids like oil, ie; X miles or X time.

Most of my oil changes have been time based, not mileage, since I drive it so infrequently.

OP
OP
Trash Panda

Trash Panda

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I'm actually planning on doing this my next oil change (20k miles) which will put me at close to 4 years of owning my truck.

Probably not needed, but oh well. I figure I will just treat all my fluids like oil, ie; X miles or X time.

Most of my oil changes have been time based, not mileage, since I drive it so infrequently.
My truck is a 06/19 Date Code so its right at 4 years old too.

I had the dealer change my oil and brake fluid flush the other weekend, so all that is left to do for now is the transmission. I will probably get around to that the next oil change and maybe change out the filter as well.

I am a service every 6 months guy. I drive mostly highway so I am doing about 1k miles a month.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Nice write up.👍
150,000 miles is actually 240,000 kilometers. Either way, agreed way too long. Good write up!

As my truck is used for towing, and was used for towing by the owners before me I opted to do mine at 100,000 Km ie ~ 60,000 miles. Oil was dark, but not particularly dirty, there was a bit of metallic mud on the plug, and a few sparkles in the bottom of the pan, nothing abnormal for the mileage. I'll probably continue do it every 100,000 from now on.

I used this, https://penriteoil.com.au/products/pro-gear-75w-90-full-syn I've used thir stuff for years and never had a problem with a diff.

Not sure if it is available in the US as it's an Australian company.

OP
OP
Trash Panda

Trash Panda

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
150,000 miles is actually 240,000 kilometers. Either way, agreed way too long. Good write up!

As my truck is used for towing, and was used for towing by the owners before me I opted to do mine at 100,000 Km ie ~ 60,000 miles. Oil was dark, but not particularly dirty, there was a bit of metallic mud on the plug, and a few sparkles in the bottom of the pan, nothing abnormal for the mileage. I'll probably continue do it every 100,000 from now on.

I used this, https://penriteoil.com.au/products/pro-gear-75w-90-full-syn I've used thir stuff for years and never had a problem with a diff.

Not sure if it is available in the US as it's an Australian company.
You're right, I was looking at the wrong line in the owners manual (100k/160km for plugs). I will edit that. You know the only metric system we use over here is our sockets 😅

I would definitely do it more often since you tow like you said. I have towed twice in 75,000km.

Looks like a good product, first glance sort of reminds me of an Aussie Amsoil. (obviously you have it there, but you know what I mean)

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
Greetings all,

Thought I would do a write-up on a simple, yet important maintenance task on your Ranger. (This guide is geared towards those of us who have never performed this procedure)
The Ford Scheduled Maintenance is "Every 150,000 mi (240,000 km) Change the rear axle fluid."
The rear axle fluid capacity specifications are 3.70pt (1.75L) or (1.85 quarts) for a standard axle ; 3.04pt (1.44L) or (1.52 quarts) for a locking axle.

Supplies Needed :
-1x 6C2Z-4N282-AA (magnetic DRAIN plug) ($2.16 on Fordparts.com)
-1x E8UZ-4N282-A (FILL plug) ($6.41 on Fordparts.com and comes in a 3 pack)
-2x Quart Easy-Pack or bottles of SAE 80W-90 or SAE 75W-90 Gear Oil of your favorite brand (FORD OEM is XY-80W90-QL)
-Fluid drain pan that can hold at least 2L or 2 quarts of fluid
-3/8" Ratchet and extension or 1/2" Ratchet with 1/2"-3/8" adapter
-Torque Wrench set to 20-21 ft/lbs (27.12-28.47Nm) or you can just Ugga Dugga it.. :p
-Old microfiber towels or shop towels

Optional :
-Large cardboard box for extra spill protection

-Nitrile gloves (can't forget about PPE)
-Brake cleaner and rag to clean around the drain/fill plugs

Step One :

-Park on a relatively level surface.
-Locate and clean around your Fill/Drain plugs (if equipped)...Some model years do not have two plugs unfortunately. :frown:
The FILL plug is located on the rear differential cover facing the rear of the vehicle. The DRAIN plug is located on the bottom left front of the differential.

IMG_8833.jpeg

IMG_8834.jpeg

Step Two :

-Place your fluid catch pan underneath the differential.
-Use your ratchet and extension/adapter to break loose the FILL plug first. Since the torque spec is only around 20 ft/lbs. it is easy.
-With the plug removed you can stick your finger or a light to inspect the current fluid level and get an idea of the color of your fluid.
I noticed mine was ever so slightly low from the factory and was pleasantly surprised when I wiped my finger on my rag it was not tar black.

IMG_8837.jpeg

Step Three :

-Use your ratchet and extension/adapter to break loose the DRAIN plug. Since the torque spec is only around 20 ft/lbs. it is easy. I let mine drain about 5 minutes or so until the old fluid was barely trickling out.
-Now you can inspect the drain plug for any gunk (likely will have a metallic goo attached to it) or metal shavings.

IMG_8842.jpeg

IMG_8840.jpeg

IMG_8841.jpeg

Step 4 :

-Hand thread your DRAIN plug until it is hand-tight and you can finish the job with your torque wrench set to 20-21 ft/lbs. (specification is 20 but margin of error if you hit 21 I do not forsee an issue).
-Go around to your unplugged FILL hole and use your Easy-Pack or quart bottles of SAE 80W-90 or 75W-90 Gear Oil to fill until it starts running out of the FILL hole.
-Once you see it running out, hand thread your FILL plug until it is hand-tight and you can finish the job with your torque wrench set to 20-21 ft/lbs.

IMG_8843.jpeg

That's it, drive around and make sure you do not observe any leaks! The job would have taken me around 15-20 minutes max if I had not been taking images.

My gear oil did not look terrible at 47,000 miles, so I think I will make my interval every 50,000 miles. I personally would not recommend following Ford's schedule of 125,000 miles.

IMG_8844.jpeg
Great job. Based on your observations I might do mine every 3 years regardless of milage

OP
OP
Trash Panda

Trash Panda

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Great job. Based on your observations I might do mine every 3 years regardless of milage
My interval will probably be around there as well. As you can see it is a pretty easy job, and the total cost was around $50. Tried to get ahold of my local dealer earlier to see how much I saved but they must have been busy.

I will take a $50 fluid change over potentially $500 gears for peace of mind.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
I wish mine had a drain plug... but I guess easier to clean it out / really get the old oil out when I remove the cover.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I had mine changed on my '19 at 23,000 miles. They said it was really nasty and no way would I recommend going by Fords mileage. I'll be doing my new one right around 10,000 miles. I can't even imagine what it would look like at 150K. Well I can....Tar! 😂

OP
OP
Trash Panda

Trash Panda

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I had mine changed on my '19 at 23,000 miles. They said it was really nasty and no way would I recommend going by Fords mileage. I'll be doing my new one right around 10,000 miles. I can't even imagine what it would look like at 150K. Well I can....Tar! 😂
A.K.A the “lifetime” of that axle if it makes it that far. 😆

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
You're right, I was looking at the wrong line in the owners manual (100k/160km for plugs). I will edit that. You know the only metric system we use over here is our sockets 😅

I would definitely do it more often since you tow like you said. I have towed twice in 75,000km.

Looks like a good product, first glance sort of reminds me of an Aussie Amsoil. (obviously you have it there, but you know what I mean)
Yes we can get Amsoil here, hideously expensive , although it does have a dedicated following, I think you would have to leave it in your truck forever, to get the cost benefit back though. :wink:

These guys https://penriteoil.com.au/ and these https://www.gulfwestern.com.au/ are both two top tier local manufacturers and I have used products from both for years. Penrite tends to market more to the public first and industry second, and Gulf Western are more of a plain package company who sell in bulk to the mining and agricultural sectors first, and the public retail second.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
Nice write up.

did mine at 2500 miles and the oil looked worse than yours. every oil change I check fluid level and quality with a "mister jelly finger" in the fill hole. it has been looking like new oil since ~46,000 miles

I don't know what lowest priced junk they put in there at the factory, but it ain't worth keeping

OP
OP
Trash Panda

Trash Panda

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
thanks mine is at 44K, sounds like waiting until 50 is ok but 150 is not
That’s going to be my interval as long as I own the truck..4 years or 50k miles.

If you purchase the plugs off Ford, since the Fill plug comes in a three pack just grab an extra Drain plug since they’re $2 and you are all set for the next change.
Sponsored