2019 2WD Rear Differential Fluid Change Write-Up (~47K Miles)

meistreguy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
Greetings all,

Thought I would do a write-up on a simple, yet important maintenance task on your Ranger. (This guide is geared towards those of us who have never performed this procedure)
The Ford Scheduled Maintenance is "Every 150,000 mi (240,000 km) Change the rear axle fluid."
The rear axle fluid capacity specifications are 3.70pt (1.75L) or (1.85 quarts) for a standard axle ; 3.04pt (1.44L) or (1.52 quarts) for a locking axle.

Supplies Needed :
-1x 6C2Z-4N282-AA (magnetic DRAIN plug) ($2.16 on Fordparts.com)
-1x E8UZ-4N282-A (FILL plug) ($6.41 on Fordparts.com and comes in a 3 pack)
-2x Quart Easy-Pack or bottles of SAE 80W-90 or SAE 75W-90 Gear Oil of your favorite brand (FORD OEM is XY-80W90-QL)
-Fluid drain pan that can hold at least 2L or 2 quarts of fluid
-3/8" Ratchet and extension or 1/2" Ratchet with 1/2"-3/8" adapter
-Torque Wrench set to 20-21 ft/lbs (27.12-28.47Nm) or you can just Ugga Dugga it.. :p
-Old microfiber towels or shop towels

Optional :
-Large cardboard box for extra spill protection

-Nitrile gloves (can't forget about PPE)
-Brake cleaner and rag to clean around the drain/fill plugs

Step One :

-Park on a relatively level surface.
-Locate and clean around your Fill/Drain plugs (if equipped)...Some model years do not have two plugs unfortunately. :frown:
The FILL plug is located on the rear differential cover facing the rear of the vehicle. The DRAIN plug is located on the bottom left front of the differential.

IMG_8833.jpeg

IMG_8834.jpeg

Step Two :

-Place your fluid catch pan underneath the differential.
-Use your ratchet and extension/adapter to break loose the FILL plug first. Since the torque spec is only around 20 ft/lbs. it is easy.
-With the plug removed you can stick your finger or a light to inspect the current fluid level and get an idea of the color of your fluid.
I noticed mine was ever so slightly low from the factory and was pleasantly surprised when I wiped my finger on my rag it was not tar black.

IMG_8837.jpeg

Step Three :

-Use your ratchet and extension/adapter to break loose the DRAIN plug. Since the torque spec is only around 20 ft/lbs. it is easy. I let mine drain about 5 minutes or so until the old fluid was barely trickling out.
-Now you can inspect the drain plug for any gunk (likely will have a metallic goo attached to it) or metal shavings.

IMG_8842.jpeg

IMG_8840.jpeg

IMG_8841.jpeg

Step 4 :

-Hand thread your DRAIN plug until it is hand-tight and you can finish the job with your torque wrench set to 20-21 ft/lbs. (specification is 20 but margin of error if you hit 21 I do not forsee an issue).
-Go around to your unplugged FILL hole and use your Easy-Pack or quart bottles of SAE 80W-90 or 75W-90 Gear Oil to fill until it starts running out of the FILL hole.
-Once you see it running out, hand thread your FILL plug until it is hand-tight and you can finish the job with your torque wrench set to 20-21 ft/lbs.

IMG_8843.jpeg

That's it, drive around and make sure you do not observe any leaks! The job would have taken me around 15-20 minutes max if I had not been taking images.

My gear oil did not look terrible at 47,000 miles, so I think I will make my interval every 50,000 miles. I personally would not recommend following Ford's schedule of 125,000 miles.

IMG_8844.jpeg
Great write up!
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Was the drain plug another deleted item? Another 2019 here with both fill and drain plugs.
It was and I should've taken that off mine too. lol

OP
OP
Trash Panda

Trash Panda

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Was the drain plug another deleted item? Another 2019 here with both fill and drain plugs.
Yep. I do believe reading other forums 21+? had it deleted.

Kind of like there’s no brake fluid change interval in our owners manual but there is in later models..🤔

IMG_8853.jpeg

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Yep. I do believe reading other forums 21+? had it deleted.

Kind of like there’s no brake fluid change interval in our owners manual but there is in later models..🤔

IMG_8853.jpeg
Interesting on the brake fluid. How many have changed theirs at the three years? Might have to look into getting it done.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trash Panda

Trash Panda

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Interesting on the brake fluid. How many have changed their at the three years? Might have to look into getting it done.
I did actually get mine done at the local dealer for $140 the other weekend. 47,000 miles/3years11months since truck has been built.

It’s the one fluid I do not want to fail. 😅

IMG_8847.jpeg

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
I think it went during 21. Mine was almost a 22 going by build date and the drain plug is gone. Some 21s have them I think.

Burnt Money

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I changed the diff fluid around 35k miles. It was really dark. Way darker than I would have thought. I wonder if there is a difference with locker vs non locker on how dirty the fluid is? When I did the rear diff fluid change at 50k on my wife’s Durango it was very clean.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I would add that the drain plug and fill plug are the same size but only the drain plug has a magnet so don't get them mixed up. Wipe the shavings off the magnet before you reinstall.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I wish mine had a drain plug... but I guess easier to clean it out / really get the old oil out when I remove the cover.
You sure about that? Drain plugs for both axles are on the housing not the diff cover.