Juvenile
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX STX FX4
Occupation
None of your business
Genuine improvement.

I took my 2020 XL STX FX4 CC to Ford at 59k to have the trans reviewed before warranty expired.

I noted harsh shifting as my concern. Dealer said the valve body needed to be replaced, however the warranty receipt only shows “rebuilt” with new gaskets, seals and (2) separator plates. Additionally, they performed a re-flash.

Pleased to report a 100% improvement. Better than new. My assumption is that the biggest improvements are the result of the trans reflash. Shifts completely different now. New thing —Tends to shift 1-2 and then skip shifts to 4 under moderate accel. Used to be nearly permanent 1-3 skip shift. Still does that but only on light accel. Also holds gears longer and does not PWM/hyper flare the converter nearly as much. So much better and more refined experience.

I highly recommend people ask their dealer to perform the same service. It’s so much better, I’d even pay for it if I had known how much better it is, and I had been out of warranty.
Sponsored

OP
OP

TheRealStreetcommander

First Name
Juvenile
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX STX FX4
Occupation
None of your business
No TSB or other info provided by the Dealer. Parts were in stock. Very small dealer, so I found this odd. This tells me Ford is very aware of the issue, but because it does not wear the transmission out under warranty, or significantly in the aggregate, Ford is electing to suppress the updates. This is their prerogative.

If I could emphasize one thing, it's that the new VB/separator plate changes in combination with the re-flash completely changes the behavior and demeanor of the trans. Driving it, it's still the same trans, but now feels more German and refined. The theory of operation on the controls side seems MUCH smarter now. I was about to trade it in on a new Stellantis product --not anymore, at least not for the time being.

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
Mines at the dealer today for 45k service. Difinitely shifts very hard going into reverse when cold. Overall it shifts fine.
Will be interesting to see how they address it.

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
its-totally-normal-eric-cartman.gif

This would be my guess ...
We will see. I have been using this dealer a number of years. I had a highly modified 5.0 that they did warantee work on that they could have denied. I have 100k 8year extended waurantee so unless it gets severely worse guess I wont have to worry until 99999 miles?

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
after the valve body and pcm thing you can expect dealer and ford to do nothing and say nothing is wrong with the transmission.

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
They could not replicate mine shuddering in reverse. I initially made an appointment for 45k service so was not expecting much to be done. But I have a record of the issue and will be letting them have it overnight after they can schedule a loaner.

What was disconcerning was my advisor telling me they had another vehicle with a 1080 transmission in for repairs with a silimiar issue.?

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
after the valve body and pcm thing you can expect dealer and ford to do nothing and say nothing is wrong with the transmission.
I am glad that at least yours is improved. I think Ford is aware there is an issue.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
I am glad that at least yours is improved. I think Ford is aware there is an issue.
i think you are misunderstanding my post. my transmission is not better at all. its a #$%^ box. Ford knows the 10r80 has issues. They have had at least 3 class actions come to pass over it in the past 10 years. New ones starting as we speak id bet. Ford dealers are also well aware they have issues. ford is just betting on most of the 10r80s with issue will pass the warranty period ahead of it totally failing while in a dealers hands. The band aids that ford has instructed dealers to offer are pcm update and flash the system to force a "relearn" and if it is bad enough valve body swap and again system flash. After those are done by a dealer they are to consider the miles and age of the car / truck vs. how much warranty is left and expected miles or time until transmission failure. That is where mine is. It has had the new pcm - didnt help - had the new vavle bodies - did not help and is on its third relearn - after about 1000k miles it is worse than before. ford and the dealers have washed hands of it and im stuck with the truck that will need a transmission soon. if your truck is having the tranny issues like some of the others and its in otherwise nice shape / low miles get rid of it while you can.

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
i think you are misunderstanding my post. my transmission is not better at all. its a #$%^ box. Ford knows the 10r80 has issues. They have had at least 3 class actions come to pass over it in the past 10 years. New ones starting as we speak id bet. Ford dealers are also well aware they have issues. ford is just betting on most of the 10r80s with issue will pass the warranty period ahead of it totally failing while in a dealers hands. The band aids that ford has instructed dealers to offer are pcm update and flash the system to force a "relearn" and if it is bad enough valve body swap and again system flash. After those are done by a dealer they are to consider the miles and age of the car / truck vs. how much warranty is left and expected miles or time until transmission failure. That is where mine is. It has had the new pcm - didnt help - had the new vavle bodies - did not help and is on its third relearn - after about 1000k miles it is worse than before. ford and the dealers have washed hands of it and im stuck with the truck that will need a transmission soon. if your truck is having the tranny issues like some of the others and its in otherwise nice shape / low miles get rid of it while you can.
Sorry, yes I misunderstood.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
Genuine improvement.

I took my 2020 XL STX FX4 CC to Ford at 59k to have the trans reviewed before warranty expired.

I noted harsh shifting as my concern. Dealer said the valve body needed to be replaced, however the warranty receipt only shows “rebuilt” with new gaskets, seals and (2) separator plates. Additionally, they performed a re-flash.

Pleased to report a 100% improvement. Better than new. My assumption is that the biggest improvements are the result of the trans reflash. Shifts completely different now. New thing —Tends to shift 1-2 and then skip shifts to 4 under moderate accel. Used to be nearly permanent 1-3 skip shift. Still does that but only on light accel. Also holds gears longer and does not PWM/hyper flare the converter nearly as much. So much better and more refined experience.

I highly recommend people ask their dealer to perform the same service. It’s so much better, I’d even pay for it if I had known how much better it is, and I had been out of warranty.
I recently took my 2020 Lariat w/29k miles in for a random delay in shifting from R to D from a cold start. They did a software update on the TCM & a reflash. The R to D delay issue hasn’t reappeared yet & after a few days of driving the trans is smooth as silk.

Last edited:
OP
OP

TheRealStreetcommander

First Name
Juvenile
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX STX FX4
Occupation
None of your business
I recently took my 2020 Lariat w/29k miles in for a random delay in shifting from R to D from a cold start. They did a software update on the TCM & a reset. The R to D delay issue hasn’t reappeared yet & after a few days of driving the trans is smooth as silk.
I think this may be the distinction that's critical. My transmission shift logic is completely different now. I believe they changed the actual program logic, not just perform a reset/relearn routine using the original shift logic.

I agree the original logic is trash and would be an embarrassment to any competent programmer.

As someone who has worked in the machine-design and machine programming field, the original product was written by either a script-kitten, or a product team with no backbone and one hand tied behind their back.

I got lucky at the dealer. I would recommend you continue to inconvenience yourself and schedule appointments until they actually fix it.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Transmission threads is quickly becoming the new "fuel in my oil" thread.

I just updated my tune from Unleashed and he made some transmission changes and it shifts awesomely! 1-10 no skipping 2nd.
Sponsored