Programming Garage door opener

Sabasigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4; 2016 Corvette Stingray
My 2016 Corvette with the homelink visor i bought from GM Parts programmed easy peasy via the learn button. My new Ranger won't program no matter what voodoo i threw at it. Prolly just another "loose connector" :shock:
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
My 2016 Corvette with the homelink visor i bought from GM Parts programmed easy peasy via the learn button. My new Ranger won't program no matter what voodoo i threw at it. Prolly just another "loose connector" :shock:
See this post:

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/programming-garage-door-opener.2365/page-3#post-42277

It details out what you need do to - the key is having a remote to "prime" (program) the Ranger before you do the learn procedure. If you don't do that it won't work. At least that has been the experience of many members here. (including me).

Sabasigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4; 2016 Corvette Stingray

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
If I recall, all I did was press and hold the button I wanted to program and then press and hold the garage door opener while holding it about 2 inches from the visor. Worked the first time I tried it.

Brian_AM

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
After clearing the memory, holding one button and the button on the remote while in close proximity worked for me. My problem is that I park in my driveway and homelink button stays active even with the vehicle locked and the fob inside my home. I tested this by rolling down the driver's window, locking the car, walking inside with the fob, returning to the truck and reaching through the window to press the homelink button. I don't understand why they would allow this functionality. If someone breaks into your car, they now have an easy way to enter your home. Is it possible I just didn't wait long enough?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Watch the video in post # 57, I did exactly this and it worked the first time. I have a Liftmaster opener it's about 12 years old.

STEVE BUSSELL

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew
I have a pretty old Genie garage door opener and this procedure worked for me.
  1. For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink® buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash, which may take up to 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.)
  2. Position the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches away from the HomeLink surface (usually located on your visor, overhead console, or mirror), keeping the HomeLink indicator light in view.
  3. Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and hand held transmitter button. DO NOT release until the HomeLink indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapid flashing indicates successful training.)
  4. A second person may make the following steps quicker and easier. Please use a ladder or other device. Do not stand on your vehicle to perform the next steps. On the garage door motorhead, press and release the learn code button - the red LED will begin to blink.
  5. Get back into your vehicle and press the desired HomeLink button one time.
  6. Press the desired HomeLink button a second time.
  7. Press the HomeLink button a third time. You should see the garage door open/close. HomeLink programming is complete.
It came from the https://homelink.com/program/process/1 page. I used 2019 f150, they didn't have Ranger in their list.

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
I have a remote but wanted to TRY use the homelink capability. I tried it all and nothing worked and what is worse is the process left the truck with a weird problem - whenever I stopped a never before seen warning screen popped up with the whole truck outlined in red and a red corner indicator also. Nothing would stop it from happening even when I tried to clear all the homelink buttons according to the instructions. VERY annoying. It seems that if I turned off the parking assist it would prevent this from happening but I have to have that to get it in my garage. Finally I tried again to program the homelink in my garage - still nothing and I'm not going the ladder route. But I was able to clear the programming from homelink and got rid of the problem. So you can try to program homelink unsuccessfully and still send some sort of information to the truck that really fouls things up. I'll stick with the remote.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have a remote but wanted to TRY use the homelink capability. I tried it all and nothing worked and what is worse is the process left the truck with a weird problem - whenever I stopped a never before seen warning screen popped up with the whole truck outlined in red and a red corner indicator also. Nothing would stop it from happening even when I tried to clear all the homelink buttons according to the instructions. VERY annoying. It seems that if I turned off the parking assist it would prevent this from happening but I have to have that to get it in my garage. Finally I tried again to program the homelink in my garage - still nothing and I'm not going the ladder route. But I was able to clear the programming from homelink and got rid of the problem. So you can try to program homelink unsuccessfully and still send some sort of information to the truck that really fouls things up. I'll stick with the remote.
Hi Rich,

I called homelink. The lady talked me through the whole process but with some pre conditioning...I turned off the overhead florescent lights, unplugged the garage refrigerator and raised the garage door, backed the vehicle just a tad beyond the nose kissing the door...We then did the programing and it worked. Lady said in most cases it is extraneous EMF causing the programing to fail....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Rich,

I called homelink. The lady talked me through the whole process but with some pre conditioning...I turned off the overhead florescent lights, unplugged the garage refrigerator and raised the garage door, backed the vehicle just a tad beyond the nose kissing the door...We then did the programing and it worked. Lady said in most cases it is extraneous EMF causing the programing to fail....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks- I saw all of those tips and don't have anything like that in my rather spartan garage. I just ordered a spare remote on Amazon so I'll have three one for each vehicle and one in the utility room. I realize at this point that I would have to use the "learn" button on the opener and did not want to bother with that and I am between ladders :) When I get the new opener I'll get a new ladder and have my son-in-law help :)

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Rich,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
So since I tried this and my problem persists I went to my dealer and showed him the attached. While there is an absolute correlation to my failed programming and the start of this "problem" he assures that the problem cannot be related to homelink programming and wants to scan it to see what error codes might pop up, he also thinks my generice OBDII scanner may not retrieve them and FORSCAN might be needed. Happens every time I stop at a stop sign or light - persists until 10-20 yds and goes off until the next stop. It will turn off if I switch off parking assist but I cannot get into to my garage without that :)

parking aid anomoly.jpg

JACER

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Been trying to program the Homelink button on the Ranger while visiting our son. First a bit of backstory - Upon arriving at our home first time with the Ranger, I programmed one button immediately using the garage remote. And the garage door opener at home is ancient, from the 80's.

Here at my son's where he has the latest Genie w/wifi, no amount of using the learn button would prove successful. I waited until my grandson returned home from school in his Mustang where he had the original garage door remote.

Literally bingo/bango, within seconds of pushing the visor button, then the remote button, the door began closing. The visor LED's were flashing rapidly, then stopped. I pushed the visor button, & the door opened.

JohnUSA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
E-z peasy in the Lariat. Got the hand held garage door opener. Parked in front of my garage. Pressed one of the three in vehicle remote buttons on the visor. Center button has an LED, it started blinking. Pushed the button on garage door opener, and kept the button depressed until the in vehicle LED stopped blinking. Maybe 20 seconds for each garage door. It takes a few seconds for the in vehicle module to memorize the hand held code.

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4 Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Thats strange. I round a bend in my neighborhood and open the garage 3 houses away. May have something to do with a newer opener that has WiFi....Plus one HAS to use particular LED bulbs specifically for garage door openers...... My range sucked until I changed out the bulbs.
That is interesting, I started losing distance when I put LED bulbs in the opener... I will have to put incandescent back in and try it out.
Sponsored