LEER HF350M - My Tonneau Journey

One Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
family fleet of 4
Woah woah woah!! So you're telling me that you BOTH have an EXTRA unpaid for tonneau cover?! Soooo are we making deals or what?! :like:
Dang it, I should have waited. I just got my installed last night through a local dealer. I thought I got a great deal at $1000 (including installation). Not bad considering I could have ordered it and received the $100 discount, with total being $969, then having to install it myself.

But 2 for 1 is much better! I see some deals being made on the items for sale section soon.

I love this cover, the Cinch latch system is much better than I thought. It was raining moderately when I drove home (~30 minutes and speeds up to 70 MPH) and not a drop in the bed.
Sponsored

STEVE BUSSELL

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew
Finally got a reply from TAG for my "double shipment"....

"Thanks for reaching out.

We will be sending a prepaid shipping label via email to get this cover sent directly back to us at no charge. Just go ahead and stick it on the box, and if you have a UPS nearby, you can drop it off if it’s not out of the way, or just set the box outside and call UPS to pick it up.

Once we get this label created by our customer service team, we’ll get it sent out. They’re out of the Pacific coast, so it may take a few hours before it’s created."

Don't have the shipping label email yet. Will see how many days that takes.

STEVE BUSSELL

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tonneau #2 was picked up by UPS today. Hopefully Leer/TAG will get the kinks worked out of their ordering/shipping system.

OP
OP
SN13

SN13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
Dang it, I should have waited. I just got my installed last night through a local dealer. I thought I got a great deal at $1000 (including installation). Not bad considering I could have ordered it and received the $100 discount, with total being $969, then having to install it myself.

But 2 for 1 is much better! I see some deals being made on the items for sale section soon.

I love this cover, the Cinch latch system is much better than I thought. It was raining moderately when I drove home (~30 minutes and speeds up to 70 MPH) and not a drop in the bed.
Where are the photos!?

One Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
family fleet of 4
Where are the photos!?
Here's the photos of the Leer HF350M. I also added a little bling with the metallic blue vinyl tailgate and front grille letters. I just washed it and waxed it with the Meguirs Hybrid Ceramic wax. This is the 3rd coat since I bought it in March.
Leer HF350M.jpg
Ranger Tailgate.jpg
Ranger.jpg

Last edited:

STEVE BUSSELL

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm still fighting with the fitment of this stupid cover the instructions are terrible they don't have any measurements of how far to mount the rails and where the cover should be in relation to the bed. dont have any description of where to use the butyl tape, dont tell you how to apply the toyota foam seal; I've already broken one prop rod lock. the front of the rail has a slight lip upwards which is causing the cover to not sit flat, at the front. you can hear the seal flapping at 65-70 MPH and its very annoying, Anyone who's installed this thing and has gotten the front to sit flat and you take a picture of the rails at the tailgate and where you mounted the cover in relation to the bulkhead I either need to move my rails back or the cover forward or both. I am about ready to pitch this thing for a solid one piece.

Thanks,
Jay
Jay, Were you able to solve the seal flapping issue? I have the same problem on the highway at 65-70mph. Quite annoying.
I tried to stick the outside corners of the seal with some of the butyl, but tht didn't work.

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
Steve,

I was able to solve it by using 3M double sided trim and molding tape. the gray stuff with the red backing i bought a roll of it and ran it the entire length of the seal and stuck it to the outside of the bed. just wipe down the seal and bed paint with alcohol to remove any dirt and after you stick it wedge some foam or something in between the bed and cab to put something to pressure on it so it sticks better.

Alex Bedrosian

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger xlt fx4
Vehicle Showcase
Dude, majorly helpful. Big kuddos

I have been waffling on this weeks.

This is the first purchase of my build so thank for the photos and personal re research info, next I'm working on deciding between the full coil over upgrade by fox or just leveling it out and upgrading the rear suspension so ita not so jarring (I'll never have a full load) just large items for my personal projects.

All I've done so far until now is black out the front fender lights and 3rd brake light (I like the murdered out look but hate when tail lights and head lights are blacked)

Trying to build a new weekend warrior, mild overlander truck for Utah

GTHAYS

First Name
Glynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL STX
Occupation
23 Years in Prison on the 8 hour installment plan. (Retired, intact)
First, I'm posting this because I spent the last Month researching Tonneau Covers... and, if you're like me (Hopefully not), you obsess over the details.

Short list of things I've learned or discovered in my journey.
(If I've made a mistake in the following list or product comparison, please advise me so I can correct it.)

1. NO Folding Tonneau is 100% LEAK-PROOF.
2. There are Rail and NO-Rail Folding Tonneaus.
3. NO-RAIL Tonneaus attach via clamps to your bed.
4. RAIL Tonneaus attach to the Rail that attaches to your bed.
5. MOST Tonneau Rails Require "Drain Tubes" as the rails act as a water Guide.
6. If you want the 95% bed access Tri-fold with final Vertical Foldup, you MUST install a Rail.
7. Not every Vertical panel final stage is rated for DRIVING while in that position.
8. Not Every Tri-Fold Tonneau allows the operation of the Tailgate with the Tonneau Closed.
8. Every Hard-Top Tri-fold Tonneau is going to cost upwards of $900-$1000. There aren't any real options under that general price range.

When I began, I originally set my sights on the BAK MX4.

Low Profile, High Quality, Good Reviews, Popular, Hard Trifold with Final Vertical Stage.

Read reviews, watched installation videos, read about leaks here or there, etc etc etc.

Pros:
  • Low Profile
  • Can Drive with vertical fold.
  • Can Operate Tailgate while tonneau is Closed.
Cons:
  • Screws (That hold the arms) into rail drainage system, cause leaks.
  • Wire Opening System is vulnerable.
  • Need to drain the rails out of the bed or under the drop in bedliner.

Next I found the Xtang Xceed.

Pros:
  • Low Profile
  • Seamless Finish
  • Non-Wire Opening method.
Cons:
  • Vinyl Top covering Panels. Worried about long term effects of Florida Sun.
  • Need to drain the rails out of the bed or under the drop in bedliner.

Why the LEER HF350?

Pros:
  • Can Drive with vertical fold.
  • Non-Wire opening Method
  • No Rail-Drain system tubes needed.
  • Rails are thinner than MX4/Xceed.
  • Installation seems Easier.
  • Sits above the bed slightly (Maybe more vertical room?)
Cons:
  • Sits above the bed slightly.

I've just ordered it directly from LEER. 9/23/2019.

Item Number: 631303
$859 Shipped (Two Coupons appear to be available, each $100 off.... One was "GAMEDAY100" the other "SUMMERSAVINGS100". Only one can be used.)

I will update upon arrival and again upon installation.

Today begins my Tonneau Journey.
Thanks for your advanced work. I pulled the trigger and my cover showed up late yesterday. Put it on with all the help from you all on this forum by my self inabout an hour. So far I am very happy with it. Seems very secure and I went to the carwash and after running thru, it was dry in the rear. Again between this and the oil change threads I have been a busy but happy camper. Thanks to you guys and the Ranger5G forums.

ALranger

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
MRI tech
Just got my cover installed today. I love it. Looks great. I’m not so sure the front edge was done correctly though, isn’t a piece of rubber supposed to covering the foam?

FA6E701B-E555-4EC7-B6AE-A8B854A5C4E0.jpeg

4592388C-001D-48C1-9D44-372012B8E5E3.jpeg

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
If you go to SN13's original posting of his install, toward the end of the installation photos you will see how the rubber strip is supposed to overhang the foam filler strip.

OP
OP
SN13

SN13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone!

Yes, the rubber should cover the foam.

Also, if I were installing this again, the only thing I would change is I'd likely stick the foam TO the rubber flap, and then JAM it into the crack.

The only long term downside I've had after a year of use is that the rubber flap sometimes flaps in the wind and makes a "flick flick flick flick" sound. I solved this mostly using the black butyl tape that came with the install that I had no idea what to do with... I just put pieces down the foam/rubber strip and that took care of it 99%.

Enjoy!

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
I have this tonneau and like to very much.
I bought a sheet of 3/4” thick neoprene closed cell foam, and cut one piece 1-1/2” wide to slide in between the rubber flap and the cab to secure the flap as well as filling the gap to keep debris out.
I also cut a piece of the neoprene 1-3/8” wide to replace the open cell (sponge) foam filler piece at the top of the front bulkhead panel.
Sponsored

Last edited: