Comparing Ranger Pricing to Tacoma and Colorado

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Well I was doing some price comparing between Ranger Tacoma and Colorado base trucks with extended cab like Ranger and this is how it looks. Colorado has destination charges included Ranger and Tacoma do not

2WD
Ranger $24300
Tacoma $25400
Colorado $21495

4WD
Ranger $28460
Tacoma $30250
Colorado $29595
Sponsored

FelixDaCat

First Name
Felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Nice. Ranger should steal plenty of sales from those other two. The advantage of coming to market later. Can undercut competition's starting pricing easily without having to cut prices after overpricing or after a competitor undercuts you :) Of course that's assuming the competition doesn't then respond and undercut Ranger pricing.

dano0726

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Wrangler
GM will soon need to up-the-ante with discounts on their Colorado/Canyon twins -- I've tried a couple of times here locally (in Houston) to wheel/deal and both dealerships (Chevy and GMC) didn't want to discount hardly anything from MSRP; that sealed the deal with my waiting on the 2019 Ford Ranger

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Speaking of GM, those should be due for a refresh for MY2020, and you can bet that content will be added and costs will increase. They do have access to their new I4 2.7L-T engine, which was designed from the ground up for truck use they could utilize on upper level trims for an option. Jury is still out if they would utilize on the refresh or wait until next generation - I go both ways with this thought. The other is that it would be too close to their I4 2.8L-TD and 3.6L V6, basically killing two birds with one stone, offering both favorable HP and TQ; something of which the customer must choose one or the other on their current engine offerings. Many may be knocking Ford for one powertrain at launch (or ever), but I would be willing to guess the engine will have pretty favorable HP and TQ, rather than one or the other.

I'm beginning to think that MY2020 may be the "year of the midsize truck" as the competition is heating up and all will be clamoring for gaining, or maintaining market share.

The auto show season is almost upon us, and seems like we may get some reveals of such:
MY2020 Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon (refresh reveal)
MY2020 Toyota Tacoma (added content, further minor updates)
MY2020 Jeep Truck (JT) (product reveal)

If you want to add the following:
MY2020 Honda Ridgeline (refresh? - Pilot just received one)
MY2020 Nissan Frontier (who knows!?)

Ford would probably add some more content for MY2020 over 2019, and, costs will also increase. I'm of the opinion that similarly optioned, or cost of the volume selling trim levels, will be similar in MSRP.

In the end, I'd expect the cost differential to be even closer moving forward.

K Knox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Occupation
Guitarist
GM will soon need to up-the-ante with discounts on their Colorado/Canyon twins -- I've tried a couple of times here locally (in Houston) to wheel/deal and both dealerships (Chevy and GMC) didn't want to discount hardly anything from MSRP; that sealed the deal with my waiting on the 2019 Ford Ranger
With the Ranger and Jeep joining the midsize pickup segment it's going to put a squeeze on the pricing of all of them hopefully.

What you guys think will be priced highest and lowest? My guess would be the Jeep will be most expensive and Ranger most affordable.

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
With the Ranger and Jeep joining the midsize pickup segment it's going to put a squeeze on the pricing of all of them hopefully.

What you guys think will be priced highest and lowest? My guess would be the Jeep will be most expensive and Ranger most affordable.
I agree the jeep will defiantly be the most expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if it started close to $40k

dano0726

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Wrangler
Jeep pickup will be the most expensive -- the diesel Rubicon truck is be close to $55K, fully loaded...

Nadeshot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Tacoma and '17 Mustang Ecoboost
Jeep pickup will be the most expensive -- the diesel Rubicon truck is be close to $55K, fully loaded...
At least. The current 3.6L Wrangler Rubicon already tops out at almost $60k fully loaded. The Jeep pickup will definitely carry a price premium over the Wrangler and on top of that the Diesel engine will also be priced more expensive than the 3.6L. I'm guessing $65k fully optioned for a diesel Rubicon Jeep pickup :eek:

misanthrope

First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL 4x4
At least. The current 3.6L Wrangler Rubicon already tops out at almost $60k fully loaded. The Jeep pickup will definitely carry a price premium over the Wrangler and on top of that the Diesel engine will also be priced more expensive than the 3.6L. I'm guessing $65k fully optioned for a diesel Rubicon Jeep pickup :eek:
Then it sounds like Jeep is pricing their pickup to be a lifestyle instead of lifestyle+work vehicle. I'm glad that Ford will be offering models that start sub $25k but also more luxurious models that hit $40k. Makes so much more sense to me than Jeep's approach.

Xfitter

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
FCA has Ram and the Jeep brand has always been about lifestyle/adventure more than work and especially since it will be based off the Wrangler with few modifications I dont think it will have the same work/utility purpose as the Ranger. That and as misanthrope said, the pricing also suggests this.

OP
OP
EcoRanger

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I've been doing some more building of the new Ranger in the configutor and if you don't go crazy with all the options you can build a nice XLT SuperCrew 4X4 for just under $39 thousand. And that's with 301A and Hot Pepper Red paint trailer towing floor mats locking diff and nav. On second thought Ranger pricing isn't that bad.

Last edited:

Vesey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: Taurus / Sold: F150 King Ranch
I've been doing some more building of the new Ranger in the configutor and if you don't go crazy with all the options you can build a nice XLT SuperCrew 4X4 for just under $39 thousand. And that's with 301A and Hot Pepper Red paint trailer towing floor mats locking diff and nav. On second thought Ranger pricing isn't that bad.
I have a feeling once its engine and MPG specs are released the Ranger's pricing will look even more attractive, especially when you compare what you're getting to its competition. Speaking of which when do you guys think we'll see the powertrain specs released??

Ron_W

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Escape titanium, 2013 c-max

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew
Vehicle Showcase
Chevrolet Colorado sales were flat in the fourth quarter of 2018, a circumstance that enabled Toyota Tacoma sales volume to increase its already-significant lead over that of the Colorado. So in what could be an effort to gain some conquest sales from Toyota, a new Chevrolet discount takes $3,000 off most 2018 and 2019 Colorado models.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/02/chevrolet-discounts-colorado-by-3000-in-february-2019/amp
GM should just call this the Ranger incentive :crackup:
Sponsored