First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Just got the results back in, good thing I caught onto this and changed my oil! I haven't looked real close to see if it gives me more specific numbers, but over 5% fuel dilution, which is the highest level they have, and the oil lubricity of course is severely degraded. Just can't believe the techs at the Ford dealership were so ignorant to say that everything looked normal...
So did the problem just go away or are you still trying to find a solution to the issue?
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Just got the results back in, good thing I caught onto this and changed my oil! I haven't looked real close to see if it gives me more specific numbers, but over 5% fuel dilution, which is the highest level they have, and the oil lubricity of course is severely degraded. Just can't believe the techs at the Ford dealership were so ignorant to say that everything looked normal...

View attachment 23372
Well shit...

Guess we will have to see what else comes in, I wonder if tuning could improve this result, or if someone who drives long distances would have different results. I do think your situation is extreme as all of us can't be having this much fuel dumping in our oil.

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
I myself you be getting the extended warranty if I was keeping it . You bringing results to dealer to have a chat?

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Self Employed
+1...

Take that truck in again and show them your results. In my previous dealership experience, they usually try to avoid complex "hypothetical" internal engine concerns until the vehicle rolls in on a tow truck (unfortunately). If it's still running and driving as intended, it's hard for the dealer to convince the manufacturer to pay out on a warranty repair. Maybe consider sending a sample out to Blackstone as well, to see if you get a consistent results to show them. Be persistent is all I can say. If they see you vehicle coming in for the same concern over and over, they'll eventually dedicate the time to investigate it.

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Oh ya still has the problem, just dropped it off at the dealer tonight, though they won't get to it until Monday. When I told the service manager about it he said "well if there actually is fuel in the oil the engine won't last long" in a fairly condescending tone. To which I replied " ya, that's why I'm bringing it in" then he said "no, I mean it would die in 5-10 miles". How does someone that clueless even get a job in this field? Anyway he said they would run some "tests" and get back to me.

And ya my situation is definitely extreme, I'm sure you guys are experiencing nothing like this. There is most likely a leaking fuel injector or the high pressure fuel pump, or maybe a bad piston ring. I'll keep you guys updated. If my local dealer comes back again saying there is nothing wrong, I'm gonna take it up with Ford corporate. And definitely going to demand an extended warranty from Ford once this whole thing is over. Having 1.5-2 quarts of fuel in the oil could have some pretty serious long term effects, even though I did catch it pretty quickly.

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
At this point it's tempting to just follow the 10,000 mile oil change interval and let the engine seize so Ford has to give me a new engine, but I'd much rather they just solve the issue now before it gets to that point...

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Self Employed
Oh ya still has the problem, just dropped it off at the dealer tonight, though they won't get to it until Monday. When I told the service manager about it he said "well if there actually is fuel in the oil the engine won't last long" in a fairly condescending tone. To which I replied " ya, that's why I'm bringing it in" then he said "no, I mean it would die in 5-10 miles". How does someone that clueless even get a job in this field? Anyway he said they would run some "tests" and get back to me.

And ya my situation is definitely extreme, I'm sure you guys are experiencing nothing like this. There is most likely a leaking fuel injector or the high pressure fuel pump, or maybe a bad piston ring. I'll keep you guys updated. If my local dealer comes back again saying there is nothing wrong, I'm gonna take it up with Ford corporate. And definitely going to demand an extended warranty from Ford once this whole thing is over. Having 1.5-2 quarts of fuel in the oil could have some pretty serious long term effects, even though I did catch it pretty quickly.
Worst case scenario and hope it doesn't come to this..... If your engine fails due to this issue, it will be completely on them and not you. It will be their fault for downplaying your concern.

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Well shit...

Guess we will have to see what else comes in, I wonder if tuning could improve this result, or if someone who drives long distances would have different results. I do think your situation is extreme as all of us can't be having this much fuel dumping in our oil.
The sad thing is that all I do is long trips... I drive my old beater 350,000 mile Toyota truck to work to keep those hard cold starts off the nice new truck...

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At this point it's tempting to just follow the 10,000 mile oil change interval and let the engine seize so Ford has to give me a new engine, but I'd much rather they just solve the issue now before it gets to that point...
Problem is it won't fail until the 80K mark where it will catastrophically sieze or hydrolock due to a full crank case.

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Problem is it won't fail until the 80K mark where it will catastrophically sieze or hydrolock due to a full crank case.
I bet it would happen quicker than that, I got an extra 1.5-2 quarts in the crankcase in just 1800 miles...

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bet it would happen quicker than that, I got an extra 1.5-2 quarts in the crankcase in just 1800 miles...
You’d be surprised how far you can go on 2 quarts of oil in 4 quarts of fuel :)

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I installed the UPR catch can about a week ago, and after about a 600 Mile road trip this last weekend I wanted to see what it had captured, and much to my surprise it contained a few ounces of gasoline......
I guess I'm alone here in thinking the catch can is suspect? No issues with the the truck... OP installs catch can... now the truck has gas in the oil.

Coincidence? Possibly but it's logical to assume that the catch installation is the problem.

Since the dealership seems scary clueless why not remove the catch can yourself and put the truck back to stock configuration to see if that corrects the issue?

Last edited:
OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
The issue was there before the catch can. I only discovered the issue because of the catch can. Not only was the factory PCV line coated in gas when I removed it, but after installing the catch can, it quickly filled with gasoline in just a couple hundred miles because the crankcase was already full of gas. After changing the oil, it has not filled up with gas at even close to the same rate, because the process of filling the crankcase with fuel has started over again. It was so saturated in fuel by the time I installed the catch can (at 1300 miles or so) that the rate of evaporation was high enough to fill my catch can in one relatively short road trip. Does that make sense? Nothing changed after the install, including in how the truck runs. I merely made the discovery after the catch can install, because of all the gas it captured. I had never checked the oil or sniffed it for that matter up to that point. That issue undoubtedly started the day the truck rolled off the assembly line. There is no "coincidental" date between the install of the catch can and the issue at hand.

I also just can't imagine how on God's green earth a can that is attached to the PCV line could magically force gasoline that should be burning in the combustion chamber into the crankcase, especially at this rate. And if it was doing something weird vacuum-wise it would definitely be setting off a check engine light. There is clearly good flow through the catch can pcv lines, otherwise it wouldn't be capturing all the gas it has been.

I do appreciate the suggestions though. The dealership is going to look into it again tomorrow morning, I am now armed with the oil analysis, so they can't deny there is a problem this time.

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I guess I'm alone here in thinking the catch can is suspect? No issues with the the truck... OP installs catch can... now the truck has gas in the oil.

Coincidence? Possibly but it's logical to assume that the catch installation is the problem.

Since the dealership seems scary clueless why not remove the catch can yourself and put the truck back to stock configuration to see if that corrects the issue?
To summarize my previous response in analogy form:

What you are saying is that if one day I decided to come home from work early and caught my wife cheating on me, I am now assuming that she just started cheating on me that day, and that the reason she started cheating on me is because I changed my schedule and came home early.

All I did was catch an existing problem that I didn't know was happening, because it makes no visible impact on the truck (in the short term). However, once I "changed my schedule" and actually checked the oil (because of the clue I found after installing the catch can) I discovered an issue that had been going on for the entire existance if the truck.

Now I just hope the dealership puts some honest effort into finding the source of the issue, and doesn't continue to blow it off as a non issue, just because the engine hasn't blown up yet.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
...I decided to come home from work early and caught my wife cheating on me, I am now assuming that she just started cheating on me that day, and that the reason she started cheating on me is because I changed my schedule and came home early.
Just trying to help you to troubleshoot the issue.... did you check your wife's cell phone to see who she has been calling? :sunglasses:

Back on track... Sounds like you need to go to a different dealer. The guys you're dealing with seem inept and/or dishonest, either of which doesn't play in your favor..

We're learning we have that issue with our local Ford shop also.
Sponsored

Last edited: