8492 - 2019 Ranger - Trailer Brake Controller Availability

Rone28

First Name
Maurice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019
I towed about 200 miles today and the truck + the P3 did great. I have a trailer that is about 3800 loaded.
Sponsored

Douglrowl

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger LARIAT SuperCrew®, 5' Box, 4x4, 2.3L EcoBoost Engine
Occupation
Retired
I'm looking at a Curt Echo Mobile Trailer Brake Controller - Wireless Bluetooth. It plugs into the 7 pin connector and the trailer wiring, then links to the smartphone.
I would appreciate input from the forum about this option. It seems to be a "no installation" option.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
I'm looking at a Curt Echo Mobile Trailer Brake Controller - Wireless Bluetooth. It plugs into the 7 pin connector and the trailer wiring, then links to the smartphone.
I would appreciate input from the forum about this option. It seems to be a "no installation" option.
I don't know of anyone that has tested it, but from what I heard is that it doesn't work unless a trailer is connected too. Needs to trigger the power draw and then it powers the connector. I was going to get one but decided to go w/ the REDARC and it works great.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase

NVHoonigan

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I was looking at it previously because I really liked the ability to remove it and not have to install anything on the dash. After doing research it was found that it does cause some interference with the towing features like the BLIS system and people reported if they turned their hazard lights on it caused the trailer brakes to pulse with the blinkers. The whole point of trading my previous Ranger in for this truck was the towing capacity and safety features so not being able to use those meant a no go for the Curt. I ended up going with the Redarc Tow Pro Elite and love the minimal impact to the dash. It works great and my wife couldn't even tell where it was installed because it looked like it belonged on the dash.

Last edited:

mrphixit

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Toyota Prius
Occupation
Retired 1988
I was looking at it previously because I really liked the ability to remove it and not have to install anything on the dash. After doing research it was found that it does cause some interference with the towing features like the BLIS system and people reported if they turned their hazard lights on it caused the trailer brakes to pulse with the blinkers. The whole point of trading my previous Ranger in for this truck was the towing capacity and safety features so not being able to use those meant a no go for the Curt. I ended up going with the Redarc Tow Pro Elite and love the minimal impact to the dash. It works great and my wife couldn't even tell where it was installed because it looked like it belonged on the dash.
Would love to see where you installed and wired the unit and control knob.

Douglrowl

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger LARIAT SuperCrew®, 5' Box, 4x4, 2.3L EcoBoost Engine
Occupation
Retired
Is there a plug and play port for the brake controller? I see a picture of one on Etrailer's web site but for the life of me I can't find one on my Ranger.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
I installed the Red Arc Tow Pro Elite with the Lightforce switch bezel. Took a pic of where the trailer brake wires were at too.

IMG_7582.jpeg

IMG_7586.jpeg

IMG_7588.jpeg

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
Would love to see where you installed and wired the unit and control knob.
My unit is strapped to the metal frame just under the steering column. Here is a pic of the control location. No need to buy extra trim.

image.jpg

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
My unit is strapped to the metal frame just under the steering column. Here is a pic of the control location. No need to buy extra trim.

image.jpg
That is a nice location for the control knob. For me, I can't stand drilling unnecessary holes in interior panels, hence the Lightforce switch fascia.

Michael360wa

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
AMT
Vehicle Showcase
How does the trim come apart for installing the control knob in this location?

image.jpg
[

oggvorbis

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
@Hambone437 Posted his install here on my Redarc Install thread...

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/redarc-tow-pro-elite-install.1924/page-5#post-44865

Looks like he followed the Redarc install thread up to where we removed the fascia that houses the cigarette lighters then popped off the console trim from there. From the pictures, it looks like it's only held in by clips.

Last edited:

oggvorbis

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
@Hambone437 posted this a few posts later on the thread...

"To remove the top of the console off I had to first remove the lower dash panel piece that has the two 12 volt sockets. There are two screws holding that piece in place and to get to the screws, I had to remove the lower dash panel pieces on either side. Just pull those straight back and they come off. Once those three pieces were removed, I started prying up the top of the console around the gear shift lever. It’s all held in place by plastic clips, no screws. I also had to move the shifter out of park to lift it completely out. All in all it was pretty easy. I took my time and used plastic panel tools to pry the pieces so I didn’t scratch or damage anything."
Sponsored