First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
I have a Redarc setting on my counter waiting to install. My visit to the dealer was a joke. They have no clue as to when or if Ford will actually offer a controller. The one thing he was sure of is that it would cost $130 to have them program the truck if the Redarc requires it. Pretty sad situation.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Willcuts93

Willcuts93

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician
I have a Redarc setting on my counter waiting to install. My visit to the dealer was a joke. They have no clue as to when or if Ford will actually offer a controller. The one thing he was sure of is that it would cost $130 to have them program the truck if the Redarc requires it. Pretty sad situation.
If any dealer charges you for "programming" I would highly recommend looking for a new dealership. I will connect IDS to my truck on Monday to verify but I see nothing about a brake controller in the programmable parameters chart of the WSM.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
The p3 install was comically easy once all of the wires were located in the other tread (in February). If you wait for Ford, you’ll likely be a skeleton before you get to tow your toys on vacation.

Last edited:

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
No reason to wait. The Redarc is fantastic. Just disable adaptive cruise before you set out and you’ll be good to go.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
No reason to wait. The Redarc is fantastic. Just disable adaptive cruise before you set out and you’ll be good to go.
So I'm a little confused. The OASIS message says 2019 Rangers com equipped with AEB standard. I thought only co-pilot 360 offered this? Either way, if I have a trailer brake controller installed that's not compatible with the AEB, what will happen? I'm assuming if my AEB activates, that my trailer brakes won't because the controller is not compatible. Is that accurate? If so, I'm thinking it's a moot point because my AEB and trailer brakes combined are not preventing me from hitting whatever activated the AEB in the first place, however, they could reduce the impact speed. I was going to install my old controller until Ford get's their heads out of their azz and offers one. I have trips planned that I am not cancelling. :punch:

Edit: I see AEB/pre collision assist is standard across the line and is separate from the co pilot 360. I still am not sure what is affected other than maybe the trailer brakes wouldn't engage when AEB kicks in.....

Last edited:

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
So I'm a little confused. The OASIS message says 2019 Rangers com equipped with AEB standard. I thought only co-pilot 360 offered this? Either way, if I have a trailer brake controller installed that's not compatible with the AEB, what will happen? I'm assuming if my AEB activates, that my trailer brakes won't because the controller is not compatible. Is that accurate? If so, I'm thinking it's a moot point because my AEB and trailer brakes combined are not preventing me from hitting whatever activated the AEB in the first place, however, they could reduce the impact speed. I was going to install my old controller until Ford get's their heads out of their azz and offers one. I have trips planned that I am not cancelling. :punch:
Nobody really has a good answer why this isn't a good idea but here's what the manual says. Note the manual is talking about Adaptive Cruise rather than AEB.

upload_2019-7-9_20-35-41.png

IMO as long as braking action due to adaptive cruise puts the brake lights on, I can't think of why a brake controller would know any different that it's done automatically vs by a human. Braking is braking. I have (cautiously) used adaptive with my brake controller active and my truck did not spontaneously burst into flames. So...YMMV.

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
I don't really understand what the big deal is here. I wouldn't expect the AEB to do anything with a trailer connected, nor would I want it to. If I'm pulling my car on a trailer, you can be assured that I'm paying attention to what's going on around me.

Is there a way to turn off AEB? I can't imagine the truck could somehow interfere with the use of an electric brake controller just because its not the Ford licensed part. Any trailer brake controller should work regardless, which is the important part.

DrummerDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘95 Taco
I am planning to take the Draw-Tite I Command 5535 proportional controller out of my current truck and install it in my Ranger (if Ford ever gets around to building it). I contacted the vendor I bought it from and asked if, given the Ford TSB, it was compatible. They replied “Brake controllers do not interact with the emergency brake system and we have not been made aware of an issues regarding this.”

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
Thanks for the heads up on this @Willcuts93 . I have been thinking on getting a redarc soon too.

Rone28

First Name
Maurice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019
Any updates on an official Ford option? I have the P3 installed but am still interested in what Ford may come out with or any more information on after market compatibility.

Going to take my truck and trailer on the road for the first trip next week. A lingering doubt is what will happen if the pre collision feature turns on. I try to remember to disable just in case.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Any updates on an official Ford option? I have the P3 installed but am still interested in what Ford may come out with or any more information on after market compatibility.

Going to take my truck and trailer on the road for the first trip next week. A lingering doubt is what will happen if the pre collision feature turns on. I try to remember to disable just in case.
Did you read the original post? Info will be available no sooner than Q4, so October-December 2019.

Rone28

First Name
Maurice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019
Did you read the original post? Info will be available no sooner than Q4, so October-December 2019.
Thanks Rangerdanger

I did read it. That is why I was looking for more information about it. As the original post said the Ford option would be available in q4 not that we had to wait for q4 to get more info.

Also there could be more information on after market controller guidance and compatibility.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Rangerdanger

I did read it. That is why I was looking for more information about it. As the original post said the Ford option would be available in q4 not that we had to wait for q4 to get more info.

Also there could be more information on after market controller guidance and compatibility.
For reference, in Australia the Brake Controller offered for Rangers is the RedArc (not coincidentally another Australian company), and they charge $500 AUS for parts + labor.

If the figures stay the same, expect to pay your dealer $300 in labor to install a $200 RedArc.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired

I installed the P3 and have about 5700 miles of towing on it. Trailer is about 6000 pounds. Never had any issue, the P3 works well.
EDIT: Now have 9,300 miles, over 8,000 towing. Absolutely NO problems with the P3.
Sponsored

Last edited: