What am I missing with this Ranger?

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
This ad came up recently and it makes no sense to me. Is a Splash appearance package that costly?

I paid $10k less for my 2019, it had more miles on it from being used as a courtesy vehicle, it was "new" so I got a FULL warranty on it (not the CPO shortened stuff), and mine had the 302A tech package, all the stuff that has since been decontented, plus the more expensive chrome appareance package. The MSRP on mine was about $42,k, less than the listed $45,992 price on this one.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/mar...r&cvid=3ad16dd75cc04866a9c5df87646dbad0&ei=21
Sponsored

Dr_Strangelove

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 XLT Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Art & Design
I don't think you're missing anything about the Ranger It just seems like you're unaware how much the car market has changed since 2019. This is listed as a "used" truck as it has 500 miles on it. If you look at the price and mileage history my best guess is someone had to return this truck for the normal reasons why someone has to return a new vehicle - your guess is as good as mine. Then the dealership re-listed it at a little over MSRP.

If you look through my post history you can read all of my fun stories about buying a new truck in October of last year in Las Vegas. When I asked the salesman if they were charging markups on all of their used cars; he told me point blank to my face without hesitation, actually a little bit smug and proud "No, we mark them back up to today's MSRP."

So there you go - that's what's going on with this "used" Ranger. It's a back-end Market Adjustment.

OP
OP
mtbikernate

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I don't think you're missing anything about the Ranger It just seems like you're unaware how much the car market has changed since 2019.
I'm plenty aware. I didn't buy mine in 2019, and I've been roughly keeping track since. My dad bought a new 2023 XLT FX4 a few weeks ago, too. He paid less than this for his, even.

There's no way the MSRP for this particular one was much above $40k, so the dealer is doing a markup on top of things, too, and any potential buyer would be getting less than a new vehicle's warranty along with it. And hell, the pricing history for this one shows the dealer keeps pushing the price UP the longer it doesn't sell, also. Seems stupid money, esp considering that the listing is actually wrong in spots (says it's an XL and a 2wd in spots).

The dealer where I bought mine has a decent number of Rangers on the lot, too (a lot more than when I bought mine), and I'm not all that far away from the dealer in question, so it's not like they're all that hard to get right now.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
The same market that make builders believe they can raise a house in 2023 that costs 3 times more than 2020...

Dr_Strangelove

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 XLT Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Art & Design
There's no way the MSRP for this particular one was much above $40k, so the dealer is doing a markup on top of things, too, and any potential buyer would be getting less than a new vehicle's warranty along with it.

You're right I worded that really poorly - I was meaning to say the same thing; the new price is "Today's MSRP"+ a Market Adjustment baked in. So probably a $5k ADM baked into the new price. Despicable.

BDUb

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL 4x4, Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
I was looking at some F150s while my Ranger was being serviced. I saw what Ford said it should sell for. I thought, that really isn't too bad. Then right next to it what the dealer is charging for it, lol. It was ridiculous. Ford 51K, Sedano Ford Dealership 62K. So I started thinking about the 6G Ranger Raptor and how Ford says just about 57k. However, once the dealerships mark up these trucks will be sold for around 70k ish. I can't stand dealership markups!

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
When I bought my '21 STX SE, MSRP was $32k (I paid $30K). Now a '23 has MSRP of $35K. Supply and demand.

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
I highly dislike dealership markups. I found a brand new Maverick Lariat FC4 with 4k tow package in my price range according to the window sticker. But when I called the dealership and asked about the truck, they said that they marked the price up by $6,000. Needless to say I told them no thank you.

I was inly wanting to look at the Maverick to see if it was a better fit for myself and my wife before making a decision on trading the Ranger in or not. Needless to say, I will be keeping my 2020 Ranger XLT FX4 since I refuse to pay 5 to 6 thousand dollars in markups.

Last edited:

LaBalbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
At the bottom of that listing (at least what I see at the moment), there's a bunch of "similar sponsored listings" all of which are for new '23s going at anything between $50-$60K.

There's also a 2019 with nearly 43K on it going for just shy of $40K; apparently they're now charging close to a buck a mile on used trucks. Hell, @Msfitoy, at that rate, you could make yourself a fortune!

OP
OP
mtbikernate

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
At the bottom of that listing (at least what I see at the moment), there's a bunch of "similar sponsored listings" all of which are for new '23s going at anything between $50-$60K.

There's also a 2019 with nearly 43K on it going for just shy of $40K; apparently they're now charging close to a buck a mile on used trucks. Hell, @Msfitoy, at that rate, you could make yourself a fortune!
yeah, these are the ones I see, which are in my general area.

1684343927778.png

two 2023's on this list are both new with a full warranty. And cost less. The other one with 150mi is being sold as used at 5k under the price of the original one I linked (no deets on the build yet). So maybe in some other market, a markup above msrp on a lightly used Ranger might make sense. But the local market looks like it's not supporting that kind of pricing. I hope the dealer at the top gets hosed on this truck.

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
Register a vehicle. Buy it back as a used vehicle. Mark it way above MSRP. Get around Ford corporate's strong discouragement of selling NEW vehicles above MSRP.

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
I was looking at some F150s while my Ranger was being serviced. I saw what Ford said it should sell for. I thought, that really isn't too bad. Then right next to it what the dealer is charging for it, lol. It was ridiculous. Ford 51K, Sedano Ford Dealership 62K. So I started thinking about the 6G Ranger Raptor and how Ford says just about 57k. However, once the dealerships mark up these trucks will be sold for around 70k ish. I can't stand dealership markups!
I was at the same dealership about a month ago to pick up new front axle nuts. They had a special order F150 Raptor out front with a $20K ADM added to the sticker.

StarLord

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX4
Pretty common practice for a dealership to sell a new vehicle to a staff member only for them to "return" it with less than 1000km/miles so then they can mark it up and sell above MSRP. Happens all the time here in Canada.

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
My dealer Has almost 50 F150s and right now offering discounts from about 4 to6k off them . The Raptor is still MSRP though. Seems to be an overstock of F150s hitting the market but the high end ones still have the steering wheel heater deleted on the upper models so I doubt they will sell in this area. Shows 4 XLT Rangers with about $1200 discounts. I think interest rates are going to bring some good deals on F150s this fall.
Sponsored