Remote Transmission Dip Stick Aftermarket Support?

Would you get in line to buy one?

• Total voters

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Here’s the hose link. https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/R14-06-ASB.html

It was 5/16 ID, my bad. Was planning on using blue spring steel strip 1/4 wide by .06 if I remember right.

Once we determine a good mount points top side we can figure hose length and get them made to length. Who knows a group buy might get us some discount
Sponsored

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I do HR for an aerospace machine shop/assembly shop/engineer team. I wonder how many would need to be made before they would actually turn the machines on for me....

We have engineer interns starting in a few weeks. Might be something for them to do if they dont have another project. Let them do the math and program the CNC machines.

#howHRgetsfiredforwastingcompanytime
I have connection with an aerospace parts manufacturer...this would be an easy part...I'd design an all new screw on cap/fitting that can accommodate a suitable flexible tube...

If the vendor's aren't interested, someone can take the business...even the bravest who take their fluid level while hot are at best not optimal...it's pretty hard to not get burned, let alone reach and position the stick in proper position...short of an internal electronic sensor to take fluid levels, a remote dip stick is the only way to be sure...

@Boomba Racing @Stage3Motorsports @ESP Jimmy and all manufacturers...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s the hose link. https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/R14-06-ASB.html

It was 5/16 ID, my bad. Was planning on using blue spring steel strip 1/4 wide by .06 if I remember right.

Once we determine a good mount points top side we can figure hose length and get them made to length. Who knows a group buy might get us some discount
I wonder if they make custom threaded ends? I can design the cap to replace the OEM with a a male or female top to accept such a flexible tube...

BTW, anyone know the part numbers to the OEM cap and dip stick?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I'd buy one at that price.

As it stands the B&M is as pricey as the PPE pan. Ridiculous.

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
I am also considering trying to come up with something, that checking it hot, is just stupid.

It will need to be a cable, or something that is installed and removed without having to be unthread or rotated, a flat dipstick wont turn in a bent line and it may be hard on the nylon liner of the line.

I would love a big old steel tube, but that wont work, it would have to be soft mounted at the dipstick hole or it would crack, you could make a adapter to convert it from threads to O rings, but O rings tended to leak anyways.

I made one a long time ago for a 2010 F150, I used -12 line and a cable, it worked okay, it was still a bit of a pain, but better than under the truck.

Be curious if something can come from this post, the B&M part is cool, the parts to make that are not cheap, but they are not worth $250, that's for sure.

Zvedza

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '04 SVT Lightning, '16 ZX-10R
i believe ford tech makaluko gives info on cold fill #s for different 10 spd vehicles.
Worst case can check it before you change the oil cold, then use that as a reference cause unless theres a leak, the trans doesnt consume fluid, unless of course it was low before. Cause im not sure at all how the hell you get the trans fluid to 210 per manual to check, mine stays at 190 even sitting

With how twitchy ford is with warranty voids, im almost positive theyd pull one out for a simple trans dip stick mod, that + the cost im skippin this for now.

Would be nice to have a pan with a drain and a simple dipstick that doesnt require you to Icarus your hand, but here we are

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering
Ok part number for factory dip stick cap and plug is JL1Z-7A010-A 1X

If you look closely on the second photo you can see a green fiber washer used for sealing. It is undercut on the Aluminum cap so the edge of the cap hits the Transmission case and keeps from squeezing the washer past its max compression point to splitting.

5CC2F0FA-4C1E-4160-A52E-83E0AA7F7C3C.jpeg

9D4271C4-BDD6-47CD-AD03-591ED673897C.jpeg

B4F691F0-FECC-4918-A2B3-6E786B7CCB83.jpeg

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Ok part number for factory dip stick cap and plug is JL1Z-7A010-A 1X

If you look closely on the second photo you can see a green fiber washer used for sealing. It is undercut on the Aluminum cap so the edge of the cap hits the Transmission case and keeps from squeezing the washer past its max compression point to splitting.

5CC2F0FA-4C1E-4160-A52E-83E0AA7F7C3C.jpeg

9D4271C4-BDD6-47CD-AD03-591ED673897C.jpeg

B4F691F0-FECC-4918-A2B3-6E786B7CCB83.jpeg
Looks like you have a great head start! Thanks for the link Rick...the extra 1X is not part of number lol...threw me off...

$11? Why not...

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/part...year=2019&submodel=&extra1=&extra2=&filter=()

Couldn't find it at Rockauto...but did notice all of their rebuild kits, torque converters, clutch packs are OUT OF STOCK!? High demand out there...I wonder why...

Last edited:

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering
Looks like you have a great head start! Thanks for the link Rick...the extra 1X is not part of number lol...threw me off...

$11? Why not...

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/part...year=2019&submodel=&extra1=&extra2=&filter=()

Couldn't find it at Rockauto...but did notice all of their rebuild kits, torque converters, clutch packs are OUT OF STOCK!? High demand out there...I wonder why...
You know if we start ordering a pile of these things the pricing will go the same way as the engine covers did! ?

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You know if we start ordering a pile of these things the pricing will go the same way as the engine covers did! ?
Yes...like inhumane prison food...Lobsters and Flank Steak...

FerdRanger

First Name
Ferdinand the Great
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
not for long
wonder if you could modify the fitting on the trans-end of a $22 dipstick?

Ford AOD Flexible Chrome Stainless Steel Transmission Dipstick AODE 4R70W eBay.png

top doesn't need to lock unless you're drag racing

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
wonder if you could modify the fitting on the trans-end of a $22 dipstick?

Ford AOD Flexible Chrome Stainless Steel Transmission Dipstick AODE 4R70W eBay.png

top doesn't need to lock unless you're drag racing
$22?! B&M must be made of gold...

jtzako

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger XLT Tremor
Its not bad actually. Its not really any different than topping off other transmissions via a dipstick tube.

jtzako

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger XLT Tremor
I won’t lie, long ago I looked into doing my own. Even bought a full dipstick and cap assembly from Ford. Also found a 5AN 3/8 ID hose with the right fittings. Did the CAD drawings to laser mark the Ford markings on the probe stick and then I lost focus on it. Still need to figure out how to mount the top end and still have it in a place that makes checks and filling painless. If that all comes together at some point I can then set the lengths of the blue steel inner probe so that’s not an issue. Different mounting will change the length it protrudes into the tranny case.

I think some of the fittings would have to be done on a Swiss turning center for replacement of factory nut and also the top end knob and lock mechanism.

Someday I get er done!
Mount it to the plastic just under the rubber hood seal above the firewall area on the passenger side. It would sit just above/behind the coolant reservoir and has a reasonably easy path down to the transmission.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering
Mount it to the plastic just under the rubber hood seal above the firewall area on the passenger side. It would sit just above/behind the coolant reservoir and has a reasonably easy path down to the transmission.
I was scoping out the firewall but the whole climate system is on the other side of it. Don’t want to be adding fasteners that could potentially be a problem. Now that it’s warming up where I am I can get out there and poke around and figure out the best place that will use a mounting spot that’s already there that has some other use and capitalize on it. Get a mounting bracket cobbled up and then make some drawings. Prototypes is step 1. Then we will see where that takes us.
Sponsored