DIY: Adding the 12V Power Outlet Option in the Bed

Don B.

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Is this the swing storage case that Ford is offering? I ask since I bought the case without realizing that the 12v is in the way so I now have to remove it and find another place to install.
Mine are the "Swing Case" brand but I suspect the Ford version may be made by Swing Case since they look so similar. After I installed the swing cases, I saw that I would have enough room below the bracket to install the 12v. So it is not exactly where most folks have theirs. The next chance I get, I'll get a photo.
Sponsored

SamoanMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019
Mine are the "Swing Case" brand but I suspect the Ford version may be made by Swing Case since they look so similar. After I installed the swing cases, I saw that I would have enough room below the bracket to install the 12v. So it is not exactly where most folks have theirs. The next chance I get, I'll get a photo.
Thanks! I think they are the same except $50 extra for the ford logo on the case. Beautiful truck by the way!

Don B.

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Thanks.
I was just lucky that it happened in that order.

Noel Willhite

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
I was just about to buy the parts for this mod and then I got to thinking. Sure enough, I'm not the first to come up with the idea to tap into the trailer harness. I'm putting 7-pin connector on this weekend so I'm now thinking of getting this add-on:
https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Hopkins/HM47675.html

That'll save some time and money and it's a no-drill.
Love this, i can utilize my trailer package and spend $16 for the exact same solution . Thank you !

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Love this, i can utilize my trailer package and spend $16 for the exact same solution . Thank you !
Like mentioned earlier in the thread, make sure you get it from a place that offers easy returns.

I've tried 2 different ones and neither works because the "smart tow" functionality of the trailer hookup doesn't sense a trailer being connected and therefore doesn't energize the connector. No power out.

If someone finds a version of this that works with our trucks, please post up!

mbergthold

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercrew 4x (formerly)
Occupation
Retired
Nice clean install. Any ideas on how to get a 110v outlet extended from the console to the bed?

JimH

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCrew
Occupation
Retired
Check this kit for a 12v outlet - https://wolfhaus01.square.site/ . Hole and plug are already in the truck, took me about 10 minutes to install the kit! I recommend it very highly!! (Click on the Shop Now button to see the options available).

Noel Willhite

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Check this kit for a 12v outlet - https://wolfhaus01.square.site/ . Hole and plug are already in the truck, took me about 10 minutes to install the kit! I recommend it very highly!! (Click on the Shop Now button to see the options available).
Do you have installation instructions? Curious on how you got to the other side of that hole in bed

JimH

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
The plug has two arms that swing out behind the hole to hold it in. You just feed the wire down the fender, remove the blank plug located on the truck harness, plug in the wire from the plug, then seat the plug into the hole, turn the hex head screws and the arms swing out behind the bed to secure the plug. Tighten the screws until the socket is firmly in place and you're done. He even includes 2 extra arms in case you over tighten one and break it. Also includes the required hex wrench. The whole process took less than 10 minutes. Picture shows the arms.
12V Socket.jpeg

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The plug has two arms that swing out behind the hole to hold it in. You just feed the wire down the fender, remove the blank plug located on the truck harness, plug in the wire from the plug, then seat the plug into the hole, turn the hex head screws and the arms swing out behind the bed to secure the plug. Tighten the screws until the socket is firmly in place and you're done. He even includes 2 extra arms in case you over tighten one and break it. Also includes the required hex wrench. The whole process took less than 10 minutes. Picture shows the arms.
12V Socket.jpeg
Hi Jim,

Great design! Just ordered. Thanks!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
so what is actually installed on the bed? some kind of proprietary connector?

JimH

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
so what is actually installed on the bed? some kind of proprietary connector?
Yes, I suppose it is, but readily available so you can make a wire for anything you want. I ordered the plug with a 3ft pigtail which I'll put a plug for my RC model battery charger on so I'll be able to charge my batteries at the flying field on the tailgate instead of inside the cab (much safer)...

You can also order the cable he has with a power socket which gives you a standard power outlet.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
anyone know approximately how long the 12v bed outlet stays powered for after the key is off?

I just used this connector to power my DC to DC charger for my aux battery system before I realized that it stays on for a while... I'm a little worried that it could potentially drain my starting battery if I'm running a lot of load on the aux system before the outlet switches off and fully disconnects the main battery
Sponsored