OP
OP
Cerwin D. Vega

Cerwin D. Vega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 4x4
Perhaps motortrend and myself received trucks with some yet to be determined technical issue. Perhaps my frame: big lats and broad shoulders, needs more space to move in order to dampen head movement. (contracting that side-wing accomplished that). Perhaps a combination of the two (as it is still rough over bumps and dips in the road). Either way, I think i see some light at the end of the tunnel.
Sponsored

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm with Floyd on this one, I am also perplexed by the ride issues that some seem to have. I inflate the tires to 40 psi. What i do notice is a lack of shock damping in the diagonal direction when rolling slow, and diagonally, over a bump.. I think shocks with increased damping would be beneficial in that regard. The different video and print reviews are all over the map on ride quality, some say very good others poor.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Spiritfish

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Supercab, Lightning Blue
I ordered my new Ranger basically "sight unseen." I noticed the jostling ride more on the freeway than on country roads or dirt...lots of body sway when crossing transitions or extremely uneven expansion joints while turning, otherwise its about what I expected. I adjusted my driving style and am very happy with my truck. I actually anticipate the bumps and relax my grip on the wheel ahead of time allowing the truck to "find it's own way"...much less energy into my body as a result.

Mark Lally

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT supercab ,2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Occupation
Custom Home Builder
The first time I drove my new ranger (ordered it) I had instant buyers remorse. It shuttered like hell and the ride was the jitteriest thing I have ever drove; it gave me an instant headache and made me physically sick to my stomach. I sold my 2011 ranger the day before and I missed it instantly. I took the truck to the dealer the next morning and they let me drive another ranger. The test truck had a jittery ride also, but lacked the shutter. The shutter is a bad injector (it only acts up now when it's cold) and I'm trying desperately to get that finally rectified.
I have gotten used to the ride and it actually corners much better than my 2011. The tires that come from the factory on these trucks are rated very poorly for ride, noise and handling on Tire Rack; and this is common on OEM tires, my tires are actually rated as a B on wet traction, that's very hard to find on a street tire, but ford managed to find one to save every penny they could (it's unethical in my opinion). It's been my experience that a set of quality tires can change a vehicles personality substantially, I'm actually looking forward to these POS tires to wear out, I can't bring myself to toss them until then.
Also, have you tried to adjust your lumbar (the nob in the front) on your seat to see if it helps ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cerwin D. Vega

Cerwin D. Vega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 4x4
The first time I drove my new ranger (ordered it) I had instant buyers remorse. It shuttered like hell and the ride was the jitteriest thing I have ever drove; it gave me an instant headache and made me physically sick to my stomach. I sold my 2011 ranger the day before and I missed it instantly. I took the truck to the dealer the next morning and they let me drive another ranger. The test truck had a jittery ride also, but lacked the shutter. The shutter is a bad injector (it only acts up now when it's cold) and I'm trying desperately to get that finally rectified.
I have gotten used to the ride and it actually corners much better than my 2011. The tires that come from the factory on these trucks are rated very poorly for ride, noise and handling on Tire Rack; and this is common on OEM tires, my tires are actually rated as a B on wet traction, that's very hard to find on a street tire, but ford managed to find one to save every penny they could (it's unethical in my opinion). It's been my experience that a set of quality tires can change a vehicles personality substantially, I'm actually looking forward to these POS tires to wear out, I can't bring myself to toss them until then.
Also, have you tried to adjust your lumbar (the nob in the front) on your seat to see if it helps ?
Yes I have adjusted the lumbar. I have the seats adjusted pretty much as good as it is going to get. Did an experiment where i removed the clamp, and found with the seats adjusted optimally it still had the same problems to a lesser degree; in other words adjusting the seats helped a little. Put the clamp back on the left side seat wing and it helps a little more; still unacceptable. Ordered the OEM 16 wheels and some 265 75 16 all season tires and I hope that puts the ride quality where i need it to be. Shocks on order as well.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,

What was the tire pressure of the vehicles that you drive and the one you bought? Do You have a 4x2 or a 4x4? Need more info. What brand is the Tire? Handcook? ContiTrac? I personally do not believe Tire Rack ratings mean diddly squat...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Tinsoldieroh

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had an'86, a '94, and an '05. Left with wife's jeep until the '19 arrives
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Could your issue been tire size, my Lariat with 18" wheels rides twice as well as my wife's 2014 Patriot Latitude. Handles like a dream and corners a bit too well (catch a curb now and then).

Mark Lally

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Custom Home Builder
Hi,

What was the tire pressure of the vehicles that you drive and the one you bought? Do You have a 4x2 or a 4x4? Need more info. What brand is the Tire? Handcook? ContiTrac? I personally do not believe Tire Rack ratings mean diddly squat...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil

My truck is a super-cab 2wd, the tires are Bridgestone duelers set to the factory recommended 35 PSI. 255/65/17
I have found tire racks survey ratings to be spot on, as they are compiled from a large set of verified customers who actually own the particular tire. The score compilation they provide has not let me down yet, and I have always improved the overall comfort and handling of my vehicles by buying a good tire. I still find it unethical that Ford would put a B rated wet traction tire on any vehicle, but especially a tire rated as all season.

Mark Lally

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Custom Home Builder
Yes I have adjusted the lumbar. I have the seats adjusted pretty much as good as it is going to get. Did an experiment where i removed the clamp, and found with the seats adjusted optimally it still had the same problems to a lesser degree; in other words adjusting the seats helped a little. Put the clamp back on the left side seat wing and it helps a little more; still unacceptable. Ordered the OEM 16 wheels and some 265 75 16 all season tires and I hope that puts the ride quality where i need it to be. Shocks on order as well.
Please report back and let us know if you find a a set of shocks the calms down the jitters, I would buy them in a minute.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil

My truck is a super-cab 2wd, the tires are Bridgestone duelers set to the factory recommended 35 PSI. 255/65/17
I have found tire racks survey ratings to be spot on, as they are compiled from a large set of verified customers who actually own the particular tire. The score compilation they provide has not let me down yet, and I have always improved the overall comfort and handling of my vehicles by buying a good tire. I still find it unethical that Ford would put a B rated wet traction tire on any vehicle, but especially a tire rated as all season.
Hi Mark,

Unethical is quite a strong word..The tires met Fords testing requirements for all aspects of tire testing, Wear, dry, wet handling etc. You are looking at a required Government Rating and making such statements. Vehicle dynamic testing and the associated reports filed for program approval, including this tire means it meets Ford standards, which are quite rigorous. I have no experience with Bridgestone/Firestone tires after the Wilderness AT debacle many years ago... So lets leave it at the you and I disagree and leave it at that...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retierd

Lone Ranger

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew, 2019 Ford Flex
I am sorry you are frustrated with your Ranger. I have a Lariat Super Crew 4 X 4 and no FX suspension. It has over 3K miles on it and I like it a lot. There are times I have been frustrated with the bounce. But with a 500 lb load, the ride is completely different and the transmission shifts much smoother. It is like it has a unbroken horse that wants to buck when it doesn't have a load to make it work. Load it up, and it does very well. (Just adding my wife as a passenger helps; but she is far from 500 lbs !) But it also has a surprising good ride over some crappy roads and at times a surprising bouncy ride on a road that I would have thought would have been smoother. I have noticed that the rear shocks seem a little too soft when I manually bounce the bed. I have looked to see if there are other after market shocks that provide more dampening. The Ranger is too new. But in the future, I will try changing the rear shocks. The front suspension seems just right.

Truck2019

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
IDK they refer to the FX4 almost as a trim level as though you can't get a Lariat with the FX4 package. It makes me wonder if they even bothered to air down the tires to spec. Just seemed like the article was bent on ripping the Ranger more than anything. 'Power Folding Mirror button looks like it's from 1996'.....I mean come on. 'Can't push the buttons with work gloves on', well I'd venture to say most people with a midsize aren't using it for a construction type, work truck and probably aren't rolling around with dirty leather work gloves on trying to press the seat heater button.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

Hmmm Interesting...We do have a gloved hand test procedure for the dash switches and buttons that must be part of the Final Signoff before production...Must have passed this test...Wonder what Motortrend used or maybe they just made an assumption without really trying?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co Retired...

IMG_1385_1.jpg

The Real Deal....
Sponsored

Last edited: