Ecoboost, coolant in cylinders 2 or 3

rcairflr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
So I was going through You Tube and found this video on the small Ecoboost engines. it talks about why coolant can and has gotten into cylinders 2 or 3>
Does our version of the 2.3 have this same design flaw? Or has anyone heard of this happening in the Ranger?

Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I watched a video of this a while back and I believe all the newer 2.3's have a slightly modified design to prevent the head gasket failures. I think the fix was to bore a small hole below the deck between the middle cylinders for water to pass instead of the slot as shown in the picture above. The slot was reducing the surface area of the head gasket causing the failures.

Friday yet?

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I watched a video of this a while back and I believe all the newer 2.3's have a slightly modified design to prevent the head gasket failures. I think the fix was to bore a small hole below the deck between the middle cylinders for water to pass instead of the slot as shown in the picture above. The slot was reducing the surface area of the head gasket causing the failures.
That's exactly it.
I saw a video where they show you how the newer ones have more surface area between the cylinders.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
This forum never ceases to amuse me. :D
reminds of sitting in the barracks drinking homemade jungle juice, giving each other crap all night long?

OP
OP

rcairflr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
It makes sense that they would have gotten ahead of this issue.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
If you looked hard enough, you would have found the YouTube video, on how Ford fixed the issue.

The used a drilled passage, rather then a milled one. When they made the change in production units, was in late 2018, as I recall. The new version 2.3L EcoBoost is similar, but not exactly like the current production.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
So I was going through You Tube and found this video on the small Ecoboost engines. it talks about why coolant can and has gotten into cylinders 2 or 3>
Does our version of the 2.3 have this same design flaw? Or has anyone heard of this happening in the Ranger?

In all the years I have owned vehicles built from 1929- 2019, (and worked on nearly everything else) I have yet to find an engine that had no critics, giving reasons why they would never own one.

I have owned near perfection (4.9L-I 6) and a few with critical design flaws, (I.E....HSC 2.3, Lima 2.3, OHC 4.0) each of these Ford engines has had critics and each provided me with exemplary service.

Some of the engines with the best reputations have provided the biggest struggles... 2.2L-I 4 Toyota is a great example.

I understand all the hyperbole on the EcoBoost 2.3, from catch cans to cooling but I have not yet seen anything to give me serious pause,
I plan good periodic maintenance and no modifications, which will likely provide me with reliable performance for many years to come.
Maybe even more than I have left! :giggle:
Sponsored

Last edited: