Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Home Builder
Hey guys,

First post here. Been lurking for about a week lol. I just got a new to me 2019 Ranger 4x2 with 41k miles on it. I ordered a 2023 Maverick Hybrid, for a work truck (I’m a homebuilder or home superintendent or professional babysitter, whatever you want to call it) so it’s more daily driver, tool hauler, small amounts of lumber moving sort of vehicle that I need. I ended up finding a good deal with this ranger, and honestly, I think I’ll stick with it. It’s more of an actual truck, and going from driving an f150 all the time, feels more of a winner for me.

I’ve seen on here about transmission issues so I plan to check mine this weekend to see if it’s low or not. It shifts okay but they feel a little harsh to me, but that may be just because I’m not used to a 10 speed.

overall I was curious if there was a general consensus on the pre-pandemic ranger being built a bit better or may be just my imagination? Hoping I made a good decision and all lol.

Appreciate y’alls time and feedback.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I think most vehicles that were built pre pandemic were built better. With all the parts constraints and supply issues manufacturers had to look for other suppliers which most times weren't as good as their previous ones they were working with. Now the 2019's did come with a lot more stuff as they (Ford) started deleting items to cut cost going forward.

OP
OP
MacMantis

MacMantis

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Home Builder
Yeah, that’s the general thought I had. Has that short filling of the transmissions been prevalent through all the model years? Mine has 42k miles on it with no real issues other than what I “feel” is somewhat jerky shifting.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Yeah, that’s the general thought I had. Has that short filling of the transmissions been prevalent through all the model years? Mine has 42k miles on it with no real issues other than what I “feel” is somewhat jerky shifting.
From what I remember yes but I added a Livernois tune in 2020. I run the 91-93 soft shift tune and it's been nice and smooth since.

OP
OP
MacMantis

MacMantis

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Home Builder
From what I remember yes but I added a Livernois tune in 2020. I run the 91-93 soft shift tune and it's been nice and smooth since.
Okay. Yeah. That’s good. I’ve always been nervous about tunes but I see lots of people use them so maybe I’ll look into that more maybe next year.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Okay. Yeah. That’s good. I’ve always been nervous about tunes but I see lots of people use them so maybe I’ll look into that more maybe next year.
The Ford tune will retain your factory 3/36 if you have it installed by the dealer or a certified mechanic. I liked the Livernois tune because you get all 5 of their tunes to use and see which one you like best. Plus when gas get high you can easily (2-3 minutes) flash over to the 87-89 soft shift to performance tune. The tow tune will adjust to any octane and several really like that one but I didn't care for it. It really makes a huge difference in both power and shifting. Several run theirs very hard and have had zero issues (one had his blow up running a 5 star tune) but of course anything can happen.

BS67

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Eye Tech, 2A supporter, USMC "Doc" '89-'95
Have a '22 XLT built March 2022........just shy of 10K miles and not one problem......tranny shifts smooth!

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Connor - welcome to the forum.

If your truck came with an aftermarket tailgate assist, remove it - it will cause muscle atrophy like you can’t imagine. Doing so will be better for you than taking Nugenics Total T. ? Trust me!

There’s a transmission TSB that some have taken advantage of because cold starts had some rough shifts from third to fourth - I haven’t had an issue - went from a 5-spd manual 2001 Ranger to this wild beast and love the transmission. Driving in “S” mode almost all the time and it holds RPMs a bit longer and kicks in earlier when already at speed. Try it, you’ll like it.

Built better in 2019? Maybe, and that really makes some sense given the times. Either way, tuning it or driving in “S” mode might cure your issue. It also disengages the auto stop start, if that matters.

How about some pics?

Urabus33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Xlt
yes. lets spread the news. 2019 are the best

totally unrelated to me owning a 2019 and upping the resale value

sitting at 30k miles (24k of them since 10/2021) and hasn't skipped a beat.

also aluminum spindles ftw
Sponsored