Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve owned a 1991, a 1996, a 2001, and now a 2019 Ranger. All have been 4x4 XLT SuperCabs with a V6 except the 2019 with its 2.3 power house. Only my 2001 had the 4x4 Off Road package (likely thanks to Phil ? actually, he was likely responsible for all my previous rigs) but I don’t recall Rangers being such a big deal for off-road and overlanding enthusiasts - at least not like the 5G.

I always viewed my older Rangers as typical work trucks and the Ranger Edge as a “Sport Truck”. I never really viewed them as serious off-road trucks - well, not until the Aussies went nuts on them and until I joined the Ranger5G forum.

Mine only ever saw saw snow-covered roads and the occasional gravel back road. Where did you get with yours? Share your stories and pics of your early off-road Rangers and tell us how they stack up to your 5g machine.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I think it's because back then the F150 was used for this. It wasn't as big as it is now and most would opt for them instead of the Ranger. Our Rangers now are basically like the older F150 so it's more capable of all these things while still maintaining a smaller platform.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
I’ve owned a 1991, a 1996, a 2001, and now a 2019 Ranger. All have been 4x4 XLT SuperCabs with a V6 except the 2019 with its 2.3 power house. Only my 2001 had the 4x4 Off Road package (likely thanks to Phil ? actually, he was likely responsible for all my previous rigs) but I don’t recall Rangers being such a big deal for off-road and overlanding enthusiasts - at least not like the 5G.

I always viewed my older Rangers as typical work trucks and the Ranger Edge as a “Sport Truck”. I never really viewed them as serious off-road trucks - well, not until the Aussies went nuts on them and until I joined the Ranger5G forum.

Mine only ever saw saw snow-covered roads and the occasional gravel back road. Where did you get with yours? Share your stories and pics of your early off-road Rangers and tell us how they stack up to your 5g machine.
It has something to do with the ‘overland’ crowd. They kind of popularized the 3-4g rangers as good affordable options for overland rig builds. That just kinda helped the 5g popularity for offroad imo.

I think if it werent for some popular and well known issues with the colorados, they’d be just as popular.

OP
OP
DukeCanBuildit

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Dunno. Would you consider an 83 ranger with giant old school steering wheel. Manual steering and a 60hp 2.3 a beast?
Was that a Ranger or a still a Courier in ‘83?

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
Dunno. Would you consider an 83 ranger with giant old school steering wheel. Manual steering and a 60hp 2.3 a beast?

But man would they go for ever, especially with the dual fuel tanks. My 83 XLT had dual tanks and I could go a long way before needing to fill up.

Reactions: Daz
OP
OP
DukeCanBuildit

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
A bit of a beast to drive I bet - had a ‘69 Fargo with manual steering - it was not an off-road beast either.

Guys we’re jacking up their Toyotas and Chevy short boxes but I don’t recall seeing modified early generation Rangers out there. Maybe it’s only a 5g thing - maybe it’s my way past mid-life crisis.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
The previous gen Rangers were basically 4WD trucks with nothing special as far as off road capability.

That changed a bit when Phil and team came up with the FX4 package for the 2002 model year.

It added a Torsen rear differential, slight lift, and better suspension to the mix to make it a very capable stock truck.

The popularity of Overlanding has all the manufacturers now offering a dedicated off road package with locking axle in at least the rear (ZR2, TRD Off Road, Pro4X, and our own FX4).

Even though most users will never come close to the capability of these trucks, just knowing that they COULD sells them.

And Ford, if you are reading this, Why did you place the alternator so low on the Ranger and market it as off road capable? The number of dead alternators from water crossings is troubling to say the least.

If you did the same thing with your new Bronco, the Jeep Wrangler is going to eat your lunch once the word gets out.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
i often wanted an older ranger 4x4. they are light, narrow and cheap to modify and maintain mixed with reliable. in my mind that means awesome off road. think on all the places a 2010 single cab short bed ranger could slip into without having to worry about rashing up the body vs the new generation. short front and rear over hang on the older ones too.

Eoj

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 lariat fx4
I can guarantee you I never thought about off-roading my 85 with a 2.3. I was afraid something would fall off that gutless wonder. My 83 didn’t get off-roaded but it was a short bed 2wd std cab with manual steering and brakes. I had slapped a 302 in it from a 70 mustang. It was a handful

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

Don't think so...
1st-Ford-Ranger.jpg
Sponsored