Azure gray metallic tri-coat cost is insane!!!

JeffB

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Muastang, Mazda 6
Just got done talking to my dealer on a mock build. The upcharge for the new azure gray metallic tri-coat is $995!! I fully expected an upcharge. But that is crazy!!!
My wife wanted the cactus color and it was over 1000 and you had to add another package to do it.
Sponsored

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
My dealer would never do that. All vehicles are at MSRP.
  • Plus $1995 power running boards
  • $1495 power tonneau cover
  • $550 ceramic coat
  • $295 metallic lettering inserts
  • $949 3M paint protectant
  • $229 2 extra cargo hooks
  • $2495 Ford 8yr/100,000mi bumper-to-bumper warranty
  • $149 invoicing & document fee
Forget the dealer ceramic, @AzScorpion will Graphene it, and toss in a free damper, for a fee of $3,000. And you're paying for quality with him.

But seriously, that's good price for ceramic work!

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Just got done talking to my dealer on a mock build. The upcharge for the new azure gray metallic tri-coat is $995!! I fully expected an upcharge. But that is crazy!!!
WOW! and I got the "Saber" paint color for no extra charge, and now it is almost Custom since it is so rare. I love it and I get compliments daily from friends and strangers alike!

OP
OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
It certainly is on the Ford website. Perhaps that changes on the new ordering 2023 whenever it comes out.
I don't know where you are looking but Cactus Gray is not an upcharge color on the Ranger, Bronco or Bronco Sport. Never has been.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Forget the dealer ceramic, @AzScorpion will Graphene it, and toss in a free damper, for a fee of $3,000. And you're paying for quality with him.

But seriously, that's good price for ceramic work!
Too good. I'm guessing it's not a true ceramic top coat. Ceramic is one of those terms that isn't regulated so companies can get away with being real loose with what it means. Normally you should expect to pay two to four times that amount to have a paint correction done and the ceramic applied.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Too good. I'm guessing it's not a true ceramic top coat. Ceramic is one of those terms that isn't regulated so companies can get away with being real loose with what it means. Normally you should expect to pay two to four times that amount to have a paint correction done and the ceramic applied.
The word Ceramic is a well defined term, any metallic oxide is a ceramic. Most of the ceramic automotive coatings contain aluminum oxide or titanium dioxide in them but as long as it contains metallic oxide it can be called ceramic.

The only real difference between the designer coatings the pros use and what you buy at AutoZone is the concentration of ceramic in the bottle. That concentration difference does not justify the cost difference, it's simply what the market will bare.

I am quite sure that that quoted price by the dealer does not include paint correction and to have a ceramic coating applied certainly does not require paint correction. That 2 to 4x price difference you mention is 90% or more the cost of the labor for paint correction. The actual cost of the ceramic coating material and it's application is very small.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
Here is azure gray metallic tri-coat

E0C36525-F4AB-4D20-AB4B-40F7251BE508.png
My first thought when I read "insane" was you were being hyperbolic. After seeing that color and thinking about @hell's new ride in that stunning Green, I think I agree. No way I am paying a grand for that color.

Of course, this is coming from the guy who paid no uncharge and bought plain Jane Iconic White, so... :)

JeffB

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Muastang, Mazda 6
I don't know where you are looking but Cactus Gray is not an upcharge color on the Ranger, Bronco or Bronco Sport. Never has been.
Use the order process on the Ford website for a Ranger. When you chose that color it wants to add another package.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
The word Ceramic is a well defined term, any metallic oxide is a ceramic. Most of the ceramic automotive coatings contain aluminum oxide or titanium dioxide in them but as long as it contains metallic oxide it can be called ceramic.

The only real difference between the designer coatings the pros use and what you buy at AutoZone is the concentration of ceramic in the bottle. That concentration difference does not justify the cost difference, it's simply what the market will bare.

I am quite sure that that quoted price by the dealer does not include paint correction and to have a ceramic coating applied certainly does not require paint correction. That 2 to 4x price difference you mention is 90% or more the cost of the labor for paint correction. The actual cost of the ceramic coating material and it's application is very small.
So we should charge more for the "ceramic" coating on our trade -ins!
A nice ferric oxide trim and coating? ;) :giggle: Trust me! ?

Last edited:

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase

What the material ceramic is is defined but constitutes a coating in a practical, functional way is not. Quick spray coatings don't contain a high enough concentration to form a reasonable layer that provides any of the intended long term benefits of a ceramic coat. Shiny for a bit because of the other ingredients in whatever the spray are but it won't perform the same protective function. I just drove 800 miles through the back country in Wyoming, brushing up against sage and trees the whole time. Covered in dust and gravel. At the end it looked like hell. A quick wash and not a scratch on the truck. A cheap, quick spray product doesn't provide that.

And yes, you don't need to perform a paint correction beforehand but why wouldn't you want to do that first, both on terms of how much better it looks and in terms of how well any protective or shine product will adhere to it? Doing it half ass will never get results better than half ass.

OP
OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Use the order process on the Ford website for a Ranger. When you chose that color it wants to add another package.
That is the build and price and isn't accurate to real ordering. And I just ordered a Ranger in cactus and was not prompted to add anything. I've spec'd out many Broncos and no prompt to add any package on any trim level.

And I just went to the build and price and played around. Yes on an XL you have to get the STX package to get cactus gray. But that is one specific trim on one specific model. That is not what an upcharge color is.

JeffB

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Muastang, Mazda 6
That is the build and price and isn't accurate to real ordering. And I just ordered a Ranger in cactus and was not prompted to add anything. I've spec'd out many Broncos and no prompt to add any package on any trim level.

And I just went to the build and price and played around. Yes on an XL you have to get the STX package to get cactus gray. But that is one specific trim on one specific model. That is not what an upcharge color is.
It is an upcharge if you have to add a package to get the color. :) or you could pay more for an XLT and get the color, but again that is an upcharge to get it. You don't have to add anything to get most of the other colors. No additional package, no upgrade to trim level etc.
Sponsored