Azure gray metallic tri-coat cost is insane!!!

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
The beautiful part about a certain paint costing extra is you can pick a different color and it magically becomes not an issue anymore.
That is the flip side of this: they could *not* charge extra for certain paints, but then everyone with cheaper colors would pay a little more.
Sponsored

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
The paint cost difference is a small part of it, it's the labor that adds the cost.
"Tri" coat just scratches the surface (pun intended). There may be a dozen or more pigment layers alone in each "coat".
Beautiful to look at, but difficult to repair. Everyday chips and scratches are virtually impossible to get right;
unless shooting the whole panel, and hope it does't clash with the original paint. I'd stay away unless it's applied to a showboat.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
The beautiful part about a certain paint costing extra is you can pick a different color and it magically becomes not an issue anymore.
On GMC Canyon, White is the only no cost color. Every other color is $495 & up.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Gouging and supply and demand are two very different things.
You are correct , they sure are!
Anyone who thinks this is simply "supply and demand" can go ahead and pay near double to a crooked dealer for a "Market Value Adjustment" ...
I'll pass.
Ford is considering selling direct to avoid dealers who are blatantly violating their contracts with them and gouging customers.
Fortunately, I don't have to buy any new vehicle, ever!
If they were pulling this stunt when I bought my Ranger I would still be driving my 2001.

$22,000 "Market Value Adjustment" on an MSRP of $27,000 is gouging, and it is a violation of of the dealer's charter.
Also... Stealing a customer's ordered vehicle in order to "up sell" it, is clearly dishonest as well, and should not go unpunished.
Yes,...

Last edited:

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
Porsche will paint your car any color for $13K. Also if you want your ostrich skin interior you can talk to them and they will see what they can do. But will cost you
Same for the upcoming $300,000 Cadillac Celistiq. Any color, any interior at no extra charge.

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
So you pay near double to crooked dealers for a "Market Value Adjustment" ...
I'll pass.
Ford is considering selling direct to avoid dealers who are blatantly violating their contracts with Ford and gouging customers.
If they were pulling this stunt when I bought my Ranger I would still be driving my 2001.
$22,000 "Market Value Adjustment" on an MSRP of $27,000 is gouging and it is a violation of of the dealer's charter.
Also... Stealing a customer's ordered vehicle in order to "up sell" it is clearly dishonest as well, and should not go unpunished.
Yes, Gouging and supply and demand are two very different things.

Supply and demand are affecting ford.

Bought a car at the Ford dealer about a month ago. Had a good conversation with the salesman about the state of things..

Biggest ford dealer in my state pretty much, and they get less than 6 new fords shipped to them a month, while Kia and Hyundai are sending them 30+

People gotta quit whining about simple economics. Shit sucks, we all gotta deal with it.. but really. Take it like a man.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
So you go ahead and pay near double to a crooked dealer for a "Market Value Adjustment" ...
I'll pass.
Ford is considering selling direct to avoid dealers who are blatantly violating their contracts with Ford and gouging customers.
$22,000 "Market Value Adjustment" on an MSRP of $27,000 is gouging, and it is a violation of of the dealer's charter.
Also... Stealing a customer's ordered vehicle in order to "up sell" it is clearly dishonest as well, and should not go unpunished.
Yes,...
Dealer franchise laws, some going back to the early 20th century in many states, prevent the OEMs from selling directly to the consumer. Ford for one is getting tougher with dealers that are excessively marking up certain vehicles. Allegedly, future allocations and possibly floorpan assistance may be reduced or eliminated for up to 12 months (may cover more than one MY) on specific models.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supply and demand are affecting ford.

Bought a car at the Ford dealer about a month ago. Had a good conversation with the salesman about the state of things..

Biggest ford dealer in my state pretty much, and they get less than 6 new fords shipped to them a month, while Kia and Hyundai are sending them 30+

People gotta quit whining about simple economics. Shit sucks, we all gotta deal with it.. but really. Take it like a man.
You deal with it... I'll abstain!
Good News, its more for you....

When the Soviets ran the USSR the "simple economics" meant paying 100% up front, then waiting 7 years for a Trabant... WOO-HOO!!
A "man" ought to be smart enough to know when he is getting screwed, even if he's not sure about why or by whom.
Better learn all three or get used to "taking it like a man"! :giggle:

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealer franchise laws, some going back to the early 20th century in many states, prevent the OEMs from selling directly to the consumer. Ford for one is getting tougher with dealers that are excessively marking up certain vehicles. Allegedly, future allocations and possibly floorpan assistance may be reduced or eliminated for up to 12 months (may cover more than one MY) on specific models.
True, so rather than "take it like a man" I suggest report such attempted fraud to Ford and refuse to participate.

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I am fully aware there are pricier color options on other makes and models. I was just going in comparison to Cyber Orange and Hot Pepper were.
Yeah even star white on other models isnt as expensive the tri coat is more expensive and difficult to do but I definitely think that bump is a symptom of inflation just compare what star white costs vs that

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
If you think that is bad Ford charges $10,000 for over the top racing stripes to be painted on for the Shelby GT500 and $1000 for the same as a vinyl decal.

I put the Shelby stripes on my 17 Mustang, the vinyl stripe kit cost me $80.
We have one sitting in the showroom and ngl I can't really tell the difference between the painted and the vinyl but that brittany blue oh my god is it gorgeous

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer would never do that. All vehicles are at MSRP.
  • Plus $1995 power running boards
  • $1495 power tonneau cover
  • $550 ceramic coat
  • $295 metallic lettering inserts
  • $949 3M paint protectant
  • $229 2 extra cargo hooks
  • $2495 Ford 8yr/100,000mi bumper-to-bumper warranty
  • $149 invoicing & document fee
That is actually pretty fair apart from the doc fee which is a completely made up thing all you legally pay is tax and tag doc fees are bs but only 149 especially now isnt awful

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone who thinks this is simply "supply and demand" can go ahead and pay near double to a crooked dealer for a "Market Value Adjustment" ...
I'll pass.
Ford is considering selling direct to avoid dealers who are blatantly violating their contracts with them and gouging customers.

Also... Stealing a customer's ordered vehicle in order to "up sell" it, is clearly dishonest as well, and should not go unpunished.
Yes,...
I 100000% agree believe me those guys are a pia and piss us off on the dealer side as well.