I Guess I'm Going To Go Damperless

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
My DeeZee tailgate assist shock has decided to bellow like a wounded ox every time I lower the tailgate.

It's still under warranty but since I purchased it online, I'll have to dig through my CC transactions and see if I can find when and where I bought it.

I'm definitely going to simply remove it for the near term and then search my transactions when I have time to waste on that.

Here's hoping that my arms haven't atrophied away to the point where I can no longer catch that heavy tailgate descending at the speed of gravity. :muscle:

EDIT: See post #11 if you need to spare yourself from digital trauma due to impending damper withdrawal.
Sponsored

Last edited:

rcairflr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
It seems there are only a few of us strong enough to deal with this heavy tailgate. Sorry, but you are not one of us. Better get it replaced before you damage your "heavy" tailgate droppping it.. or worse, hurt yourself.....

OP
OP
Dr. Zaius

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
It seems there are only a few of us strong enough to deal with this heavy tailgate. Sorry, but you are not one of us. Better get it replaced before you damage your "heavy" tailgate droppping it.. or worse, hurt yourself.....
I'm the little engine that could so I will BECOME one of the chosen few.

I think I can, I think I can...

BButah

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4 (Saber)
My DeeZee tailgate assist shock has decided to bellow like a wounded ox every time I lower the tailgate.

It's still under warranty but since I purchased it online, I'll have to dig through my CC transactions and see if I can find when and where I bought it.

I'm definitely going to simply remove it for the near term and then search my transactions when I have time to waste on that.

Here's hoping that my arms haven't atrophied away to the point where I can no longer catch that heavy tailgate descending at the speed of gravity. :muscle:
It may not be the damper at all? I had the same thing happen and thanks to AZ Scorpion…. I hit the tailgate hinge with some lube and no more noise! I think the hinge is inside some sort of grommet, and with rain, dust, etc., it just needs some lube. The damper slows the movement down and creates the squeal.
?

dapakattack

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4
It may not be the damper at all? I had the same thing happen and thanks to AZ Scorpion…. I hit the tailgate hinge with some lube and no more noise! I think the hinge is inside some sort of grommet, and with rain, dust, etc., it just needs some lube. The damper slows the movement down and creates the squeal.
?
AZ Scorpion approved 303 Lube, I'm sure.

OP
OP
Dr. Zaius

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
?
We have a winner!

It was definitely the bushings.

They were resonating in the hollow tailgate and making an unbelievable amount of noise.

Of course I had to go get my engine hoist to remove the 900lb tailgate, but here are the offenders and the fix.

You can see the wear dust on them.

I cleaned up the bushings and the cup they ride in then hit them with the Sil-Glyde.

Ahhh, damped tailgate bliss has returned...

IMG_1061.jpeg

IMG_1062.jpeg

IMG_1063.jpeg

OP
OP
Dr. Zaius

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
And K-Y Jelly ….:cool:
Since it is the illustrious tailgate damper, I'm going to go with the Intense Pleasure K-Y

Intense_Pleasure_Pack_600x.png

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase

There is another option: crank up the music in your truck, and let it bellow all it wants!

OP
OP
Dr. Zaius

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
well, this was disappointing.
thought we had a reverse conversion happening before our eyes
Getting weaned off the damper is more difficult than getting weaned off a government program.
Sponsored