TuggerNutz

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shoes
PXL_20210610_103857472.jpg

Found it while doing the front emblem change. I'm extremely amazed that it stayed there for 750 miles. I replaced the one installed with this stowaway. Wasn't a part of the birth of my truck, but maybe the rest of its life. Or until I drop it as well. No worries I got a spare now. ?
Sponsored

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
It stayed there because it was coated with Loctite ?

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Check the build date and see if it was a Monday or Friday. If it was a Monday, the assemblers were likely hung over from the weekend so they make mistakes. Friday well they're looking forward to the what it takes to get a hangover and are not paying attention. Build dates Tuesday-Thursday are better cause they have gotten over said hangovers and are able/willing to actually focus on something other than they left the bottle of Advil...

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Found it while doing the front emblem change. I'm extremely amazed that it stayed there for 750 miles. I replaced the one installed with this stowaway. Wasn't a part of the birth of my truck, but maybe the rest of its life. Or until I drop it as well. No worries I got a spare now. ?
Yikes, Mike!

I recognize that bolt! It is an explosive bolt for when the optional eject passenger seat is installed...Call Hazmat! Be very careful around that bolt!:stop:

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
TuggerNutz

TuggerNutz

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shoes
Check the build date and see if it was a Monday or Friday. If it was a Monday, the assemblers were likely hung over from the weekend so they make mistakes. Friday well they're looking forward to the what it takes to get a hangover and are not paying attention. Build dates Tuesday-Thursday are better cause they have gotten over said hangovers and are able/willing to actually focus on something other than they left the bottle of Advil...
Screenshot_20210527-211740.png

Right before they closed down plant for 2 weeks. I'm sure they had other things on their minds at the time. Wondering how many more "Easter Eggs" I'll be finding.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
My father always said to buy a car built on Wednesday (not sure how one would do that) because Mon-Tue people were hung over and thurs-Fri people were waiting for the weekend.

I don't think there is much science involve in that.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Right before they closed down plant for 2 weeks. I'm sure they had other things on their minds at the time. Wondering how many more "Easter Eggs" I'll be finding.
Wouldn’t it be something if you got lucky and found tie-down hardware?

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

That ain't nothin! I have at least three or four extras every time I take something apart and put it back together. They're always putting extras in everything. No wonder they charge so much money for something now because they're giving away extra parts that you find when you take something apart.
Why just last week I tore my dryer apart to change the dryer belt and when I put it together I had four extra scews! So nice of GE to think of me knowing I might need a screw here or there when I'm doing stuff around the house, or because sometimes, well, I'm missing a few screws in my top shelf.
They call those virtual "Easter eggs." They now use that term for hidden goodies and video games. So you really didn't find anything extra, you found exactly what they wanted you to find!
https://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/easter-egg
Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 6.30.33 PM.png

Last edited:

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
Goes to what was posted in another thread about a glovebox hinge pin, and covers for seat mount bolts. Stuff gets dropped during assembly, and they just leave it.

That's the reason they removed the engine cover and other stuff... gotta recoup for lost hardware.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
You are all overlooking something....yes, it's a bolt, but, what does a bolt do ? It attaches something to something else. You need to determine just what that something is, and what it's supposed to be attached too !!! :headbang:

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
You are all overlooking something....yes, it's a bolt, but, what does a bolt do ? It attaches something to something else. You need to determine just what that something is, and what it's supposed to be attached too !!! :headbang:
I agree and disagree. We do not know it was suppose to attach something, or if it's extra. Wouldn't be the first time extra parts were left over after being dropped. As I said, and case in point, another thread talked about extra covers for under seat bolt covers that were obviously 'extra', likely being left after being dropped and not picked up.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Speaking of extras. New a guy worked on GM assembly line. If they were mad at the foreman or having a bad day hand full of washers or nuts in spot that made them hard to retrieve after assembly. Rattle city. Irate customer.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
It just a joke. The bolt doesn't go to any thing in that area; they just left it there knowing hours would be spent trying to determine where the bolt is suppose to go. Sick humor. :crackup:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Speaking of extras. New a guy worked on GM assembly line. If they were mad at the foreman or having a bad day hand full of washers or nuts in spot that made them hard to retrieve after assembly. Rattle city. Irate customer.
Hi Larry,

We faced this many times during the preproduction builds....nuts and bolts inside rocker panels etc. Mostly at Edison NJ assembly and this tainted me to any association with NJ. Installing the front grill Ford Oval upside down was a favorite, until the culprit was fired... Not much for real production vehicles as there was squeak and rattle testing and we could radar in on the line worker pretty quickly. They were soon headed to the unemployment line. Sad when the customer has to face this...

Best,
Phil
Sponsored