First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Software Engineer
the labor I paid was $85.00, but that included mounting the thing (that I did not want).
I just got back from the Ford dealership that finished my install. Ended up costing me $150. I'm not thrilled about the cost but it's better than the initial $450 they quoted me at.

Just to sum up a few things I learned:

1) Make sure you buy your performance pack from an authorized dealer
2) A lot of dealerships don't want to do the installation unfortunately
3) I ended up doing most of the install myself, leaving only the final step of the installation. I was able to bring down their inflated labor costs this way.
4) Don't get fooled by their bs sales pitch of how they will need a few hours to "fully tune" and play with the calibration numbers. It's literally a plug and play process.
5) You don't need to swap the air filters if you don't want to. I chose not to because of the dusty environment I live in. I also double checked that just installing the tune would be covered by the warranty, Ford Performance said it is covered.

Again, thanks for the feedback and information. I hope that what I have learned will help someone else in their Ford Performance Tune journey :)
Sponsored

Eskram

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Lariat 502a Powerboost Hybrid
I received and installed mine today as well. I couldn't imagine paying for the installation, and if any ever issues, I don't get how me vs. some other shop pressing buttons makes a difference as far as warranty.

Only driven maybe 20 miles, but enjoying the extra bit of torque, but mostly the transmission tuning - it should have been this way from the start..

wetidlerjr

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger XLT, SCrew, FX4, Shadow Blk, Blk App Pkg
Occupation
Retired Railroad Construction Signalman
FEDEX dropped mine off today but my dealer can't get to it till June 15th (their "tune man" is on vacation). Also, I talked to FORD performance and they told me to make sure it is registered to me in case I move away from my installing dealer or they shut down or the installer goes elsewhere, etc. In other words, don't let the dealer register it. So, nothing to do now but wait. :cool:

jvm051

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Sport
I was reading back that the 2021 Rangers were not compatible yet. Is this still the case?

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
*Just an update for any Mac OS users*
You CAN update and use your PROCal system/software on a Mac OS, even with the M1 chip like myself, with the use of Parallels (virtual machine). You just need to follow the 3 steps below:
  1. Download Parallels: Parallels: Mac & Windows Virtualization, Remote Application Server, Mac Management Solutions
  2. You need to be a part of Microsoft's Window Insider (It's free): Download Windows Insider Preview ARM64 (microsoft.com)
  3. The only issue that I ran into once install was complete was that the PROCal software said that it could not be used with a virtual machine, but the video below is a very easy work around: Sorry, This Application Cannot Be Run Under A Virtual Machine Error FIX - YouTube
Very happy to be able to use this on my Mac now and I hope this helps some people out!

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 White Platinum
Vehicle Showcase
*Just an update for any Mac OS users*
You CAN update and use your PROCal system/software on a Mac OS, even with the M1 chip like myself, with the use of Parallels (virtual machine). You just need to follow the 3 steps below:
  1. Download Parallels: Parallels: Mac & Windows Virtualization, Remote Application Server, Mac Management Solutions
  2. You need to be a part of Microsoft's Window Insider (It's free): Download Windows Insider Preview ARM64 (microsoft.com)
  3. The only issue that I ran into once install was complete was that the PROCal software said that it could not be used with a virtual machine, but the video below is a very easy work around: Sorry, This Application Cannot Be Run Under A Virtual Machine Error FIX - YouTube
Very happy to be able to use this on my Mac now and I hope this helps some people out!
Thank you very much for sharing this, tried it, works!

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
How is towing with the Ford tune? My main concern is that I am in Vegas and we are already in the 109F range. In particular I really want to see better shifts daily driving. I already use 91 with the truck anyway.

Regarding normal daily driving, are shift points in Drive kinda like a calmer Sport mode or did they just make Drive feel like Sport mode? My main gripe is that I will sometimes see 10th gear at 45mph which is about 1500rpm on the Tremor, like dude, at least stick to 9th gear.

Tried finding YouTube comparisons but not much for the Ford tune.

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
How is towing with the Ford tune? My main concern is that I am in Vegas and we are already in the 109F range. In particular I really want to see better shifts daily driving. I already use 91 with the truck anyway.

Regarding normal daily driving, are shift points in Drive kinda like a calmer Sport mode or did they just make Drive feel like Sport mode? My main gripe is that I will sometimes see 10th gear at 45mph which is about 1500rpm on the Tremor, like dude, at least stick to 9th gear.

Tried finding YouTube comparisons but not much for the Ford tune.
Can’t speak for how it tows, but for daily driving it is leaps and bounds more refined. Much better shifting (still smooth, but much quicker) and much more responsive. When you get on it it will pull hard throughout the entire rpm range instead of falling on its face. I would not hesitate buying it at all. In fact, I think the FPP is almost a requirement for these trucks. I love mine.

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
FEDEX dropped mine off today but my dealer can't get to it till June 15th (their "tune man" is on vacation). Also, I talked to FORD performance and they told me to make sure it is registered to me in case I move away from my installing dealer or they shut down or the installer goes elsewhere, etc. In other words, don't let the dealer register it. So, nothing to do now but wait. :cool:
This is the smart way to do it, some guys just hand the box to the dealer and the dealer register's the voucher under their account , then you are screwed. Best to go thru the registration, update, downloading stock file off truck, uploading to FP to get the calibration, then load onto the device and then just leave the last step to the dealer if you so choose to pay for the install. takes about 15 minutes to load. so they shouldn't charge you more than an hours labor which is usually the minimum.

OP
OP
Rp930

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
For whatever reason I finally tried Sport mode after the latest tune update. What a difference. It’s like a nice Sport mode now. Not overly aggressive but good. Works great.

wetidlerjr

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger XLT, SCrew, FX4, Shadow Blk, Blk App Pkg
Occupation
Retired Railroad Construction Signalman
Out of curiosity, what happens to this tune if there is an update to the Rangers ECU? Does it get overwritten and have to be re-installed?
Asking for a friend. :LOL:

jzinckgra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Other than the requirement for 91+ octane, is the FPT on par with the Livernois tune?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Other than the requirement for 91+ octane, is the FPT on par with the Livernois tune?
Not really it's about half the hp and half the tq. Plus with the Livernois tune you get 5 tunes to try and see which one you like. Biggest drawback is there's no warranty so if that's important to you I would stick with the Ford tune. It's a good tune and will improve the truck over being stock.
Sponsored