Ranger Outsold Colorado and Gladiator in Q1

Swishpapasweets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT,1998 Ford Ranger XLT
Unlike the taco i could swap the 2.3 for the 2.7 for a huge boost of power. Also i like being different
Sponsored

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
Ford has a number of "best in class" qualities, you're right. And I got mine for about $10K less than a comparable Tacoma. But it took $10K less to get me to buy the Ford. That's a lot of loss for Ford...
To each their own I guess. If I have a fully loaded Tacoma vs a fully loaded Ranger at the same price, I pick the Ranger every time. I still don't understand that when one vehicle has a better engine, transmission, payload AND more comfortable to sit in that you conclude that you settled for the lesser of the two....

Pinepig

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last count was 12
Occupation
lol
I checked out the Toyota. I liked it a lot. I only wanted the TRD Pro. The dealers wanted $50K for a M/T. That's excessive. Other than the awkward seating position, the Tacoma is almost universally a superior truck.
Until you try and go up a hill........and it's shifts over and over and doesn't go anywhere anyway.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Ford has a number of "best in class" qualities, you're right. And I got mine for about $10K less than a comparable Tacoma. But it took $10K less to get me to buy the Ford. That's a lot of loss for Ford...
So building a truck with best in class features for less money is a negative in your opinion? That used to be what Toyota was known for.

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT
Below is my often shared spreadsheet I made when I decided on my Ranger.
This was late 2019, so specs may have changed now. But then the Ranger was my hands down choice. The Taco and
Ford Ranger Compare.JPG
Colorado topped only in HP, which is an interesting spec to me....but I don't spend much time at 4800-5300 rpm.
Torque tows. Period.
I'd been Mopar/FCA for 34 yrs, so I took a quick look at the Gladiator. 2.0L turbo. 4000# towing. Nope.

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
I checked out the Toyota. I liked it a lot. I only wanted the TRD Pro. The dealers wanted $50K for a M/T. That's excessive. Other than the awkward seating position, the Tacoma is almost universally a superior truck.
How is the Tacoma superior? Im genuinely curious as I thoroughly test drove and researched both

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
Well, every problem with a Tacoma is a one-off, whereas every problem with a Ranger is a major systemic failure.
Ranger is fairly new so im genuinely curious what systemic failure you’re referring too and whether or not i should be concerned......

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Ranger is fairly new so im genuinely curious what systemic failure you’re referring too and whether or not i should be concerned......
No, it's just a commentary on the weird reputation the Tacoma has for reliability, regardless of any problems people have with their Tacomas. A couple of people report fuel in their oil and Tacoma fanboys will tell you that every Ranger engine will blow up before it hits 100k, but Toyota recalls a decade worth of Tacomas for frame rust and that's no big deal and won't affect anyone. ?‍♂

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
Well, every problem with a Tacoma is a one-off, whereas every problem with a Ranger is a major systemic failure.
My buddy just traded his 2018 Tacoma in because of a fuel pump recall and he was scared of reliability, but go on…

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT
No, it's just a commentary on the weird reputation the Tacoma has for reliability, regardless of any problems people have with their Tacomas. A couple of people report fuel in their oil and Tacoma fanboys will tell you that every Ranger engine will blow up before it hits 100k, but Toyota recalls a decade worth of Tacomas for frame rust and that's no big deal and won't affect anyone. ?‍♂
Toyota has done an amazing job over the years of creating, then promoting their reputation for worry free vehicle ownership. 30-40 yrs ago this tale had some substance. They set the bar, but now the other mfgs. have met it. ...they have to. You can't survive in today's market producing lemons.
My harsh opinion: Many/most Toyota loyal don't know, and don't want to know about vehicles. You can't make an informed, comparative choice on a new purchase if you don't know what to compare. So safe is safe. The only downside to following the Toyota sheepels is possibly missing out on a superior vehicle of another brand.

spartan0078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger lariat
Occupation
Railroader
Wonder why GMC is so low compared to Chevy? I've always preferred the GMC logo to the Chevy bowtie.
Sponsored