Long term reliability of the 2.3

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Any known, wide spread problems with this engine? I’ve heard and read about the gas in oil, but not sure if it’s a small number of problems. And what causes it?

Is the 2.3 in the Ranger the same exact engine that’s in the Explorer and mustang?

Im just curious about the strength and durability of the block and if it’s capable of handling a life of towing in the Rangers?

I’m trying to find out as much information on the 2.3. From what I’ve read it’s a semi open block, and it’s basically the same as the 2.0 ecoboost, but the 2.0 ecoboost is closed block and is said to be more robust?

Also, why hasn’t Ford gone with dual injection with this engine, like every engine in the F150?

Any information is appreciated.
Sponsored

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Oh My, this is giving me bronco6g forum flashbacks, there must have been a post on this at least twice a week. Yes, I do wish that it was dual injection, but if I ever need to walnut blast the engine, it will only be every 40-50k miles, and there are multiple people on here with many more miles than that. I cant speak to its application in the ranger (yet), but everyone I have talked to who has it in the mustang or focus RS has had good luck (after the head gasket issue). Also, the Lincoln ford escape equivalent (used to be called mkc, they changed it) has the 2.3 optional, and that thing is fast for a little CUV. A lot of the negativity you hear on the engine is that its not enough for a truck engine because some people still wont put anything thats under a v6 in their vehicle. Just my 2 cents though, im sure others will chime in with their experiences.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
My daughter has a 2015 Mustang 2.3L EcoBoost which she loves.
It has been reliable to date.
My son-in-law met a guy with one like his the other day with 175, 000 miles on it. The engine is unmodified and has never been touched.
This ain't no Toyota.... It has Ford reliability built in.
Take care of it and don't crash it and you should have it trouble free for a long time and distance.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
Its all a roll of the dice...... personally if i needed to tow over half the time. Id look into a vehicle thats built to tow. In addition, i just believe a 2.3L turbo engine in a truck wont outlive a naturally aspirated v6 when having to lug all that weight around. I think its just basic thermodynamics.

I have my concerns of the reliability and durability due to gas in oil and ac issues popping up. Keep in mind, not every ranger owner ends up on these forumns, and i feel like more than half of the members here have confirmed they at least smell gas in their oil, myself included. How that impacts the engine in the long run, i cant say im no trained mechanic. Theres also small stuff that im not certain on how it will impact long term, such as the cold start transmission sluggynish and shudder/vibration at slow speeds that i feel 90% of people have. And to be fair, im not sure how much crap other owners are dealing with on other midsize trucks since i dont go on their forumns.

With all that said i love the truck and it currently fits my needs as a moderate offroad adventure vehicle that can help with house hold chores with taking crap to the dump and buying mulch etc. And as long as i get 8 years and up to 100k miles i’ll be happy.

Last edited:

Viscerol

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Mortician
Direct Injection will spray gas past the piston and into the oil. Nature of the beast. Having said that, this is my 4th turbo with direct injection and after 210,000 miles collectively with the previous 3, I never had a single problem. Different manufacturer but the concept is the same.

OP
OP

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Its all a roll of the dice...... personally if i needed to tow over half the time. Id look into a vehicle thats built to tow. In addition, i just believe a v4 turbo engine in a truck wont outlive a naturally aspirated v6 when having to lug all that weight around. I think its just basic thermodynamics.

I have my concerns of the reliability and durability due to gas in oil and ac issues popping up. Keep in mind, not every ranger owner ends up on these forumns, and i feel like more than half of the members here have confirmed they at least smell gas in their oil, myself included. How that impacts the engine in the long run, i cant say im no trained mechanic. Theres also small stuff that im not certain on how it will impact long term, such as the cold start transmission sluggynish and shudder/vibration at slow speeds that i feel 90% of people have. And to be fair, im not sure how much crap other owners are dealing with on other midsize trucks since i dont go on their forumns.

With all that said i love the truck and it currently fits my needs as a moderate offroad adventure vehicle that can help with house hold chores with taking crap to the dump and buying mulch etc. And as long as i get 8 years and up to 100k miles i’ll be happy.

Yeah I hear you. I guess I want my cake too. I’m starting to wonder if it would just be more economical for me to buy a little commuter car and then buy a single cab F150 3.3 naturally aspirated 6.

My dilemma is, I only buy new. I hate buying used as I always do recommended maintenance thousands of miles before the due time.

I just would love the Ranger due to its size. I could probably do everything with the truck, play and work, I just want the engine to hold up.

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
Its all a roll of the dice...... personally if i needed to tow over half the time. Id look into a vehicle thats built to tow. In addition, i just believe a v4 turbo engine in a truck wont outlive a naturally aspirated v6 when having to lug all that weight around. I think its just basic thermodynamics.

I4 not V4, but I also think an I4 turbo would hold up much better than a V6 for towing because you don't have to rev the nuts off of it to pull the trailer or haul weight

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
Since the Gen 5 Ranger has gone the full 10 year cycle in Australia I though maybe you could have some high mileage 2.3L. Nope, it looks like they just had Diesels in them.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
I have a 2.3L in my 2011 Ranger. Ford didn't even offer it in 4WD. Only 145Hp. You have to have the manual Tranny so you can keep it in its power ranger. Steel Block. The original architecture came from the Pinto.
I would love a fkn manual tranny. This is my first owned vehicle that its not and i hate hills lol.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
I have a 2.3L in my 2011 Ranger. Ford didn't even offer it in 4WD. Only 145Hp. You have to have the Manual Tranny so you can keep it in its power ranger. Cast Iron Block. The original architecture came from the Pinto.

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
Fun fact. Suzuki motorcycles and atv’s back in the early 2000’s to even now have automatic fuel valves for the carburetor equipped models. They operate off of engine vacuum and when they fail (roughly every 5 years or so) fuel dumps into the crankcase mixing with oil. Most people are oblivious of it happening until the engine is hard to start from vapor locking.

Working in the powersports industry at a Suzuki dealer I don’t know how many dirt bikes and ATV’s I saw with severely diluted engine oil. Like 5 to 1 gas to oil or worse and I never saw an engine need rebuilding or even show signs of premature wear from that. If you don’t believe me google ”Suzuki petcock failure”

So a tiny bit of gas in the oil is 0 concern to me

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I don't work with my truck or tow so I don't have to worry about the severe duty aspect...I change the oil every 5K. My only concern is the carbon build up on the intake valves but I figure someone will develop a way to clean this by the time I have serious mileage on the truck.
Sponsored