Post your off-road pics.

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST maybe Ranger in a couple days.
About 30 rigs total today. We split up into a few groups as following eachother in that large of a group isn't very smart. Scuffed up my new rock sliders but they worked as intended. The kick out saved my ass. I chose to scrape the side of the slider on a tree vs my left fender. Smart decision.

I did not attempt the stair climb but should have. Several others on 33's and a similar lift in the group (tacomas, 4runners, Gladiator, etc) made it so should have been able to. Wife was telling me no. Next time she can stay home. ?
PSX_20210417_223528.jpg
PSX_20210417_223516.jpg
PSX_20210417_223403.jpg
PSX_20210417_223623.jpg
Sponsored

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST maybe Ranger in a couple days.
Had to dumb the quality down to be able to share these couple videos.

Last edited:

TN Ranger

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electricain
Hadn't washed it yet but sure I got some new pinstripes today. Went on a trail been on several times and found it blocked up and way more difficult than before due to wash outs from recent flooding. Was in the moment and forgot pics. Bit way fun and first time we had to spot each other

20210418_092311.jpg

20210418_133721.jpg

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
I wonder if with the fox shocks, that I can get smaller bump stops. Because the bump stops are usually for protecting the struts. I'm unsure if they have a different max compression than stock
I think it has to do with the ranger's parabolic leaf spring in back, Ford relies heavily on the bump stops absorbing the impact on large bumps or when loaded, and still allows a softer spring for a better ride when empty.
Seems like they are made pretty firm to make sure the truck doesn't completely bottom out when at max payload. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe they end up not fully compressing when there is not a ton of weight in your truck, and end up limiting suspension travel a little.

Icon and Timbren are already making aftermarket bump stops for off road use, and it sounds like they're running on the idea that they compress easier than stock.

Deleted member 1634

Went exploring this weekend in the depths of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan forests. Ended up snowing in the afternoon which made it a bit muddy, sloppy, and slick. Ended up pushing my abilities and the truck beyond what we've done before. Still much less intense than some of you guys do still though. A couple firsts on this outing as well.
First time in the sloppy mud.
First time doing a river crossing.
First time doing a beaver pond crossing.

All-in-all the truck did so great! Every time I'd fall into the mud ruts I'd be worried I'd get stuck or at least have a hard time, but the truck never really seemed to care about it. Got a little squirrely climbing the hills in the snow and mud, but I expected that. Never ran into anything I couldn't handle.

58388.jpg

Mudslop pits that caused us to turn around and go a different route. It had been sketchy up to this point, and this was the point where if it looked better after I might go for it, but it didn't. So not worth it out alone in the middle of nowhere with the snow getting heavier.
IMG_20210424_144441638_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210424_144455190_HDR.jpg

We didn't take any pictures of the river crossing. But here's some shots of the beaver pond crossing. This was on out alternate route after being cutoff by the mudpits above. Came around the corner and saw this sea of water. About a hundred feet long. Got out, walked along the beaver dam which created this mess, was able to see the bottom in some places and there were grass and the bases of trees still sticking out on the side. Went through it slowly, waiting for the bottom to drop out. Luckily it never did and the water was probably between 12-18" deep. My hands were shaking pretty good after that though. haha

Me walking along the beaver dam to the right checking it out
58389.jpg

Mid-crossing picture by my wife
58391.jpg

Post crossing shot
IMG_20210424_151436487_HDR.jpg

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Went exploring this weekend in the depths of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan forests. Ended up snowing in the afternoon which made it a bit muddy, sloppy, and slick. Ended up pushing my abilities and the truck beyond what we've done before. Still much less intense than some of you guys do still though. A couple firsts on this outing as well.
First time in the sloppy mud.
First time doing a river crossing.
First time doing a beaver pond crossing.

All-in-all the truck did so great! Every time I'd fall into the mud ruts I'd be worried I'd get stuck or at least have a hard time, but the truck never really seemed to care about it. Got a little squirrely climbing the hills in the snow and mud, but I expected that. Never ran into anything I couldn't handle.

58388.jpg

Mudslop pits that caused us to turn around and go a different route. It had been sketchy up to this point, and this was the point where if it looked better after I might go for it, but it didn't. So not worth it out alone in the middle of nowhere with the snow getting heavier.
IMG_20210424_144441638_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210424_144455190_HDR.jpg

We didn't take any pictures of the river crossing. But here's some shots of the beaver pond crossing. This was on out alternate route after being cutoff by the mudpits above. Came around the corner and saw this sea of water. About a hundred feet long. Got out, walked along the beaver dam which created this mess, was able to see the bottom in some places and there were grass and the bases of trees still sticking out on the side. Went through it slowly, waiting for the bottom to drop out. Luckily it never did and the water was probably between 12-18" deep. My hands were shaking pretty good after that though. haha

Me walking along the beaver dam to the right checking it out
58389.jpg

Mid-crossing picture by my wife
58391.jpg

Post crossing shot
IMG_20210424_151436487_HDR.jpg
Gorgeous country up there. I never made it to the UP when I was offroading but I miss the West MI forests and trails. Looks like a fun (if not sketchy at times) run!

Deleted member 1634

Gorgeous country up there. I never made it to the UP when I was offroading but I miss the West MI forests and trails. Looks like a fun (if not sketchy at times) run!
I find the beauty of the UP to be the lack of people and development, both as it applies to off-roading and to general life. haha So there's just so much forest where there is nobody. And so many intertwining county roads, camp roads, forest roads, old logging roads, old mine roads, and OHV trails that you can basically go anywhere. The adventure and exploration aspect of it is great. There were so many things we passed on or missed on another trail or whatever on this trip that you could spend days just in this one small 30mi x 30mi square of forest exploring the history, the nature, the scenery. I've already added a few more stops to my map in this area since we got home yesterday that we'll need to hit up next time we go. haha

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I find the beauty of the UP to be the lack of people and development, both as it applies to off-roading and to general life. haha So there's just so much forest where there is nobody. And so many intertwining county roads, camp roads, forest roads, old logging roads, old mine roads, and OHV trails that you can basically go anywhere. The adventure and exploration aspect of it is great. There were so many things we passed on or missed on another trail or whatever on this trip that you could spend days just in this one small 30mi x 30mi square of forest exploring the history, the nature, the scenery. I've already added a few more stops to my map in this area since we got home yesterday that we'll need to hit up next time we go. haha
The UP is one of those primarily unexplored areas for me. I spent a lot of time in the Muskegon area with my offroad adventuring but never beyond. I know that UP has tons of gorgeous country, a late summer or early fall would be gorgeous I think.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Robert,

A comment here. When we taught a advance offroad school for Ford Engineers we taught them to enter a mud puddle with the wheels straight ahead and proceed through the puddle until you hit the opposite bank of the puddle and turn or avoid an obstruction and turn. You entered the puddle with wheels way to the left...Might have been better to go straight. Not a criticism...just an observation to consider on your next adventure.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

TN Ranger

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electricain
Hi Robert,

A comment here. When we taught a advance offroad school for Ford Engineers we taught them to enter a mud puddle with the wheels straight ahead and proceed through the puddle until you hit the opposite bank of the puddle and turn or avoid an obstruction and turn. You entered the puddle with wheels way to the left...Might have been better to go straight. Not a criticism...just an observation to consider on your next adventure.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Oh I'm an extreme amateur haha. Just like having fun. I could use some classes haha.