TXRanger13

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Hello All –

I am new to Ranger life. I recently purchased my first truck. I now am the proud owner of a Ford Lariat FX4.

This weekend, there was snow in the area. The snow was not sticking, but the pavement was still very wet. I thought it would be a great opportunity to test out the 4H option on the vehicle I quickly learned that it was not the right move (PLEASE NOTE – I was unfamiliar with 4WD vs. AWD at the time. After my journey, I read a lot about the difference, and that 4H was not needed in this instance.).

Overall, here is the timeline of my events. Ultimately, I wanted to see if my truck is OK after the following series of events:

-Left garage: While in park, I turned on 4H. In reverse, the truck came to a slow stop as I started to slowly turn the wheel to get out of the parking spot. I thought this was the engine breaking, but quickly realized this was binding as a result of my research. I did not press on the gas to force the issue. I proceeded to reverse out in 2H.

-Prior to leaving the garage, I flipped it back to 4H. I proceeded to drive on the highway (damp, snowy conditions including wet pavement, but no snow accumulation) for about 8 miles. There were no sharp turns.

-After getting off the highway, I pulled into a store parking lot. I made a sharp turn to pull into a parking space. The car came to a very slow halt again (most likely due to binding). There was no jerking. When leaving, I reversed out in 2H and tried flipping back to 4H. While making a slow, sharp turn in the parking lot, the car jerked twice, and I immediately stopped and flipped it back to 2H. The car proceeded to jerk once more in 2H. Once again, I did not force the issue by stepping on the gas. My wife claims there was a smell after the jerking. I flipped it back to 2H, and I drove in that fashion for the next mile or so to our destination. Everything seemed fine. No issues, no noises, no jerks, no smell, etc. When I drove the truck home later that night (approximately ~12 miles), everything seemed fine as well. I have yet to put it back in 4H since the jerking incident.

My research tells me this was a binding effect, and I should have not used 4H unless there was some serious snow/ice cover (or on a surface other than pavement). The jerking REALLY frightened me, and I am wondering if there could have been any possible damage done based on the jerking motion. Most of my due diligence shows that this is probably something that could cause damage if done continuously over an extended period. I am just hoping this one-time incident did not hurt anything. Is this something worth looking in to further or OK to move on and learn from the mistake and experience?
Sponsored

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
According to the truck's manual, which I advise you thumb through, 4wd (4HI/LO) is not to be used on pavement (snow/ice covered is ok to use).

The jerking you are feeling is both front tires trying to rotate (spin) at the same speed. As the outside wheel has to travel a further distance, it must spin faster than the inside wheel that must travel a shorter distance. This forces one of the wheels (often the inside wheels) to rotate at teh same rate as the other wheel (outside). This binding-then-releasing-then-binding is the jerking you are feeling, and is the reason that 4wd is not supposed to be used on pavement. With a layer of snow, dirt, mud, what have you, the slipperiness of the surface allows the inside tire to rotate more smoothly. It would still be noticeable, however.

When you shifted the truck back to 2wd, it takes some time, effort, and/or distance traveled to unlock and disable the front end from receiving power. This is why you got the jerking feeling when in 2wd. When you shift to or from 4wd, you do not have it as soon as you flip the switch. The system is mechanical and things, like gears, must line up before they can engage, and must have "slack" in them before they can disengage. Think of a deadbolt in a door. If you're pulling on the door while it's locked shut it is very difficult to slide the deadbolt open.

As for the smell, tell your wife to take a shower. KIDDING! Ultimately, it was probably in her head. We humans love to see/smell/hear things when we think things are going wrong.

I would love to link you to the page with the info about 4wd, but my internet is far too slow. Hopefully someone else can help you.

>Edit: Go to youtube and type "4wd jerking". Lots of videos.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
Did you take it to the dealer and ask them to inspect it?

OP
OP

TXRanger13

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Did you take it to the dealer and ask them to inspect it?
No. I did not do that take it to the dealer after it occurred. After the incident, I did some reading online, and I was getting mixed reviews regarding the severity. I wasn't sure if that was needed at this point.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
You are probably ok based on what you described, and look to have read up on the general issue going forward. Would also recommend reading the specifics in the manual

Maybe pay attention for any weird noises the next few days/weeks and you could always take it to the dirt to test the functionality is still correct

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
Only reason I ask is posting online vs. taking to a mechanic....hmmm which one will give you a more accurate diagnosis.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
No. I did not do that take it to the dealer after it occurred. After the incident, I did some reading online, and I was getting mixed reviews regarding the severity. I wasn't sure if that was needed at this point.
My opinion is that you do not need to take it to the dealer. Sounds as though you have done the research and know now that the truck should only be in 4X4 when the surface allows the wheels to slip when the drive train binds.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
what I tell my kids, as wife [still]...Read, Read & re-Read stuff like this that's new to you. I frequently re-read stuff that I've forgotten or that I don not use enough to learn it properly. YouTube is a great resource. We just got of 1st hybrid and I've been learning a lot!

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
Twice now, I've gone from snowy, icy or gravel surfaces in 4H to pavement and drove a distance down the road before remembering that I was still in 4H. It was nothing with the way the truck was driving or reacting, I just happened to see the little yellow 4H idiot light. Oops!

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Place that experience in the lesson learned box and keep going. You didn’t do any damage other than your pride in front of your wife. I know, I got that trophy too long ago. You’re going to be fine. I was on frozen grass and went 4L so I wouldn’t spin my wheels and toast my lawn. Did the same thing so, guess I won’t be doing that again ether.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I don't think there is any damage done. The jerking was likely the tires themselves slipping/gripping. Go find a gravel road somewhere and put it back into 4H to make sure everything is operating correctly. Then keep it in 2H on pavement unless it is snowy/icy from now on.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I wouldn't be concerned as long as you aren't hearing or feeling anything abnormal while driving the truck.

We use 4H frequently because the roads here have patchy ice / packed snow. I turn the knob and change from 2H to 4H maybe 20 times in an hour. This is on fairly straight roads. And if in doubt as to if the road is slick, I use 4H, the exception however is that I always turn off 4H when making a 90 degree turn, like at stop signs, road intersections, etc.

jss81258

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Occupation
Fixed equipment inspector
According to the truck's manual, which I advise you thumb through, 4wd (4HI/LO) is not to be used on pavement (snow/ice covered is ok to use).

The jerking you are feeling is both front tires trying to rotate (spin) at the same speed. As the outside wheel has to travel a further distance, it must spin faster than the inside wheel that must travel a shorter distance. This forces one of the wheels (often the inside wheels) to rotate at teh same rate as the other wheel (outside). This binding-then-releasing-then-binding is the jerking you are feeling, and is the reason that 4wd is not supposed to be used on pavement. With a layer of snow, dirt, mud, what have you, the slipperiness of the surface allows the inside tire to rotate more smoothly. It would still be noticeable, however.

When you shifted the truck back to 2wd, it takes some time, effort, and/or distance traveled to unlock and disable the front end from receiving power. This is why you got the jerking feeling when in 2wd. When you shift to or from 4wd, you do not have it as soon as you flip the switch. The system is mechanical and things, like gears, must line up before they can engage, and must have "slack" in them before they can disengage. Think of a deadbolt in a door. If you're pulling on the door while it's locked shut it is very difficult to slide the deadbolt open.

As for the smell, tell your wife to take a shower. KIDDING! Ultimately, it was probably in her head. We humans love to see/smell/hear things when we think things are going wrong.

I would love to link you to the page with the info about 4wd, but my internet is far too slow. Hopefully someone else can help you.

>Edit: Go to youtube and type "4wd jerking". Lots of videos.
Actually, the inside tire and outside tire on either axle are free to rotate at different speeds due to the differential. Well, unless you have an elock and lock the rear differential. The jerking is due to the front axle being locked to the rear axle by the transfer case. In a turn, the radius is different between the front axle and rear axle.
Sponsored